No announcement yet.

Cotto explains his training routine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto explains his training routine

This week I continue training very hard and I'm doing quite a lot of sparring. I never count how many rounds I spar; that's up to my trainer to decide. But I am guessing [I'm sparring] between 10 and 15 rounds. My sparring partners are the same guys I had for previous fights: Fred Tukes and Kenny Abril.

I have already heard that Bob Arum said Pacquiao trains almost twice as hard as me. I don't really care about comments like that. Our training will show on the day of the fight. I do my job the way it has to be done, as planned, and on the day of the fight we'll see who's in the best possible condition. Manny has already said that he considers this fight to be the most difficult of his career and that's why he's training so hard. I expect to win and I train hard enough to achieve that. I win my fights in the gym, training very hard. If Pacquiao trains more or less than me, I cannot worry about that. The key to our training is to be 100 percent prepared, always. If Manny works as hard as I do, we'll have a great fight.

I also know that [Manny Pacquiao's trainer] Freddie Roach has been yapping again, but he is always talking, and after this fight he'll have no option but to shut up. This fight will be tough, but I am confident I will be victorious. Freddie should worry about getting Manny ready for me, a bigger and stronger fighter who always comes ready to win. I have already faced southpaws and I've won all the time, but he hasn't fought anybody as strong as me. We'll see how he manages to deal with my style once we get in the ring.

I am training very hard. The camp's going great. We are only three weeks away, or about 19 days away from the fight. What I do basically is run. I run a lot in the morning and then I rest. I train in the afternoon and then I rest again. On Tuesdays and Fridays I have a massage session. The rest of the time is about resting and trying to have a good time in the house.

We rented a house -- a big house -- and that's where we're staying. The gym that we go to is about 10 minutes away from the house.

My team consists of Joe Santiago, Brian Pérez, my father Miguel Cotto, my mother and no one else. My family and my kids have come to see me on two occasions, and now I won't see them until the day of the fight, when I will meet them in Las Vegas.

We rest all day Sunday and train from Monday through Saturday. When we have a chance, we all go out together. We visit the malls, the movie theaters. I was unable to watch the [Argentinian soccer derby] River versus Boca game last Sunday, but I always follow River [Cotto has become a fan through his trainer, Miguel Díaz, and River's fan club in Puerto Rico; Cotto has worn River Plate's jersey in the ring prior to many of his fights]. But I spend all my time practically between the gym and the house.

I chose Tampa because we trained here for the fight against [Joshua] Clottey, our last fight. We really liked it here, and that's why we're back. The weather is practically the same as in Puerto Rico. This is one of the reasons why we chose Tampa.

Many years ago I fought in Tampa in the pre-Olympic tournament. That was 10 years ago. Now, I am a more mature fighter, a fighter that has completely changed his style since his amateur days to my current professional days. I have changed a lot; I have grown, I have gained a lot of maturity, and I have established myself as a person. Those are the main changes that I've seen in me.

Source: http://www.espn.com

no 3rd person figure of spreech?? this article is a lie!! j/k

Comment

nice read!! greenK

Comment

let us see the gato sparring vid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
          let us see the gato sparring vid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by XviciousX View Post
            I have already heard that Bob Arum said Pacquiao trains almost twice as hard as me. I don't really care about comments like that. Our training will show on the day of the fight. I do my job the way it has to be done, as planned, and on the day of the fight we'll see who's in the best possible condition. Manny has already said that he considers this fight to be the most difficult of his career and that's why he's training so hard. I expect to win and I train hard enough to achieve that. I win my fights in the gym, training very hard. If Pacquiao trains more or less than me, I cannot worry about that. The key to our training is to be 100 percent prepared, always. If Manny works as hard as I do, we'll have a great fight.
            It's obvious Arum wants Pacquiao to win.

Comment

Originally posted by [Unforgiven] View Post
              no the one were gato moves were frustrating cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler jr View Post
                doesn't matter how hard pac trains, he's still gonna be a lot smaller than cotto.

Comment

^^^ u beleive that ****??

just look @ the fight with emanuel augustus.. who was clearly robbed in the gato fight....

please gato was fooling around.. plain and simple

Comment

Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
                    kind of like how Arum is with Jeff Horny now. LMAO! the building of a star.

Comment

Working...
                    X