No announcement yet.

Prime Mosley vs Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
    SSM vs FMJ when they were at 135 is a great fight.
    I agree. I would take Floyd but prime Shane is no easy fight for Floyd. He's in a dog fight. If Floyd is off his game he can lose. That's what people don't understand, when you are off against a prime fighter or they are just on fire you can lose.

I consider Floyd easily in the top 20 boxers ever. I don't have an exact list but he might be even in the top 10. My biggest knock and it isn't his fault is I don't think he has many prime fighters on his resume. Lots of great names but few of those guys were prime and some of them significantly far from prime. You might be better overall than another guy but for one fight you might lose.

I think that was the case with Ward. I think he lost against Kov the first fight but in the 2nd fight he won. Kov was prime and even though he wasn't as good IMO overall for one fight he did enough to pull out a W (as I saw it). We saw it with Leonard vs. Duran. You can argue that Floyd might have experienced it with Castillo if you thought JLC won. Castillo was legit right in his prime period when he fought Floyd. So yes a prime Mosley in a one fight scenario might have been able to get the W.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
      This is the Floyd that a lot of peeps especially my Mexican peeps have never seen! Floyd was a beast but after Hoya he bacame a puss.
      Why do you say he was a puss after Hoya? I disagree, but curious where you're going to take this.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
        I agree. I would take Floyd but prime Shane is no easy fight for Floyd. He's in a dog fight. If Floyd is off his game he can lose. That's what people don't understand, when you are off against a prime fighter or they are just on fire you can lose.

I consider Floyd easily in the top 20 boxers ever. I don't have an exact list but he might be even in the top 10. My biggest knock and it isn't his fault is I don't think he has many prime fighters on his resume. Lots of great names but few of those guys were prime and some of them significantly far from prime. You might be better overall than another guy but for one fight you might lose.

I think that was the case with Ward. I think he lost against Kov the first fight but in the 2nd fight he won. Kov was prime and even though he wasn't as good IMO overall for one fight he did enough to pull out a W (as I saw it). We saw it with Leonard vs. Duran. You can argue that Floyd might have experienced it with Castillo if you thought JLC won. Castillo was legit right in his prime period when he fought Floyd. So yes a prime Mosley in a one fight scenario might have been able to get the W.
        Good post. Castillo style's and Floyd having a shoulder issue made the first fight interesting. Castillo didn't do much the second fight. I just rewatched 1 and part of 2.

I was watching some SSM at 135 and I hate to say it, but nostalgia has gotten the better of me. He's not as good as I remembered and I haven't seen those fights since they happened with SSM.

Comment

may all day. may is too damned smart and talented. ssm was very talented but not the smartest guy in the ring. was often too straight up and had that weird tic in his game.

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
            go watch the first oscar/mosley fight and tell me mayweather would make easy work of that mosley.......that was a beast man and against a prime ATG in oscar...who up to that point maybe had never lost considering the tito robbery......so don't even try it
            I've seen that fight many times mate and nowhere in my post did I claim it would be easy work. All I stated was that Shane had two chances (1999 and 2006) to make the fight earlier and he didn't want it either time, so it makes me laugh when people say a "prime" Mosley would've beat Floyd. Of course Shane was better in those days than he was in 2010, but the same was true about Mayweather. What would've happened? I think Shane would've won 3-4 rounds but ultimately skills pay the bills and he never would've been able to get past Floyd's IQ, defense and more complete skill-set. No disrespect to Shane whatsoever he was a great fighter, but that's my point, he was a great fighter while Floyd was a great-all round boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
              I've seen that fight many times mate and nowhere in my post did I claim it would be easy work. All I stated was that Shane had two chances (1999 and 2006) to make the fight earlier and he didn't want it either time, so it makes me laugh when people say a "prime" Mosley would've beat Floyd. Of course Shane was better in those days than he was in 2010, but the same was true about Mayweather. What would've happened? I think Shane would've won 3-4 rounds but ultimately skills pay the bills and he never would've been able to get past Floyd's IQ, defense and more complete skill-set. No disrespect to Shane whatsoever he was a great fighter, but that's my point, he was a great fighter while Floyd was a great-all round boxer.
              doesn't matter how often you explain that to them, they just search for a reason to hate him. mosley wanted no part of him and would have lost to mayweather by a wide ud even in his prime. after 07 it was worth fighting mayweather, before he beat oscar it was just too risky to fight him

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
                doesn't matter how often you explain that to them, they just search for a reason to hate him. mosley wanted no part of him and would have lost to mayweather by a wide ud even in his prime. after 07 it was worth fighting mayweather, before he beat oscar it was just too risky to fight him
                LOL. It's funny how much of a 180 Shane did once Floyd became boxing's biggest cash down. First it was "I'd rather go to the dentist than fight him" and "I need a vacation" then once he saw the dollar signs coming and his upcoming child support payments all of a sudden he literally ran into the ring just to talk to Floyd.

This is why Floyd clowned him so bad in the 24/7s because Shane was being a jealous hypocrite. He avoided the fight for years when people really wanted to see it, because he had more to lose, then all of a sudden started chasing it once he became the b-side and saw how much money Floyd was making/generating.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post

When do you consider Floyd was prime ?

What weight do you consider his prime weight ?

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                    When do you consider Floyd was prime ?

What weight do you consider his prime weight ?
                    His prime/absolute best was probably from about 2001 to 2007.

The weight he looked best at was 130.

So he fought 10 years past his prime and 24lbs above his best weight.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                      His prime/absolute best was probably from about 2001 to 2007.

The weight he looked best at was 130.

So he fought 10 years past his prime and 24lbs above his best weight.
                      And that's why his biggest names were in a similar phase of prime, the weight differences included makes them legit wins, people need to think what the 154 Cotto and Oscar versions that Floyd beat would do to the 145 version of those fighters, they would kick the sht out of them, and they are Mannys hottest wins , there is a very big double standard in this forum when it comes to giving Floyd his dues, people seem to think Floyd is always prime, he dominated his era and fought and beat the top guys his resume will shine in the real history books, in places like here its just waffle.

Comment

Working...
                      X