No announcement yet.

Why is Joe Louis Rated so Highly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Joe Louis Rated so Highly?

I'm not saying he shouldn't be, but I'm curious as to the opinions of various members on this site, especially those who know boxing and are old enough to have seen guys like Ali and so on fight. Why is Joe Louis often ranked as a top 10 ATG and in most cases as the second best heavyweight ever?

I won't pretend I'm an expert on his resume, but he has a lot of good names from that time period and did set the record for most defenses of the HW title.

Just as a boxing fan watching, he was a tremendous offensive fighter. Technique, variety, balance, moving forward or back, he was a treat to watch. As good an offensive fighter as has ever existed in the HW division.

Comment

One of best right hands in history and one of the best finishers ever

Comment

I'm going to assume that most of us wasn't even born when Joe Louis was fighting so I don't know how this forum will help you. Do your own research, get on Google!

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          I won't pretend I'm an expert on his resume, but he has a lot of good names from that time period and did set the record for most defenses of the HW title.

Just as a boxing fan watching, he was a tremendous offensive fighter. Technique, variety, balance, moving forward or back, he was a treat to watch. As good an offensive fighter as has ever existed in the HW division.
          I've been doing a lot of research into Louis lately, because I'm in the process of tweaking my ATG list and my ATG heavyweight list, I've been in two minds about Louis. His heavyweight reign, though long, really lacks quality and lags behind some other top names.

When he did face some of the better names, he was really put to the sword, although he came through admirably against Walcott and Conn...but Conn really should have been too small to cause Louis, a 200+lb heavy any serious trouble.

We all know about Louis losing to Charles, yes Louis wasn't quite at his best but he was still champion. In fact, even the first Walcott fight was damn close.

Originally posted by sicko View Post
          I'm going to assume that most of us wasn't even born when Joe Louis was fighting so I don't know how this forum will help you. Do your own research, get on Google!
          LOL I know lots about Louis but I want to see what you guys think, why would YOU rank him highly...or maybe you won't, I can't get that info on Google.

Comment

He had a historic reign and was an incredible offensive fighter. Honestly though, I've never considered him as the greatest. I'd have him around 4 or 5. That's just my opinion. I admit I can do my research, but I've seen a lot of Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
              He had a historic reign and was an incredible offensive fighter. Honestly though, I've never considered him as the greatest. I'd have him around 4 or 5. That's just my opinion. I admit I can do my research, but I've seen a lot of Louis.
              He did have power and some solid offensive skills, a good jab and a terrific right hand but he wasn't exceptional in any one department like Ali was or Foreman or even Tyson, although Id probably rank Louis higher than Tyson.

His title reign is a major contributor to his greatness yet it was filled with has beens, never beens and fat boys, something even the media at the time recognised. It's difficult to rank such an iconic champion objectively.

Comment

it's probablynot appropriate to put hiim in the top 10 p4p of all time.

he's rated second best, behind ali, at HW because of his reign. he fought some good - very good fighters, and he was champion forever.

looking at film of louis, which is very well preserved [near HD quality in some cases,] we can see his skills and his talents. he was one of the most potent offensive fighters ever. i rate his right hand above all others in the history of the sport. it was educated, sharp, and devastatingly powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                  One of best right hands in history and one of the best finishers ever

exactly.

at HW, where power generally reigns, this cannot be overstated.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    I've been doing a lot of research into Louis lately, because I'm in the process of tweaking my ATG list and my ATG heavyweight list, I've been in two minds about Louis. His heavyweight reign, though long, really lacks quality and lags behind some other top names.

When he did face some of the better names, he was really put to the sword, although he came through admirably against Walcott and Conn...but Conn really should have been too small to cause Louis, a 200+lb heavy any serious trouble.

We all know about Louis losing to Charles, yes Louis wasn't quite at his best but he was still champion. In fact, even the first Walcott fight was damn close.

LOL I know lots about Louis but I want to see what you guys think, why would YOU rank him highly...or maybe you won't, I can't get that info on Google.
                    Louis had already retired when he fought Charles and was only in there for the money. He hadn't fought in over two years and was pretty much a shot fighter by then.

Comment

Working...
                    X