No announcement yet.

Hopkins-Dawson did less than 100k PPVs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PensionKillerer View Post
    Hopkin's has never been a good PPV seller. His style isn't attractive and doesn't bring out a fan friendly fight because his opponents also don't engage, and often his fights can be hot or cold.

The thing is, the fans wanted this fight I believe. HBO didn;t screw up, the fans did.
    I wouldn't say the fans wanted it or else the numbers would reflect better I would say maybe the HARDCORE fans wanted it and/or the fight was necessary. But even then most everyone agreed it was a bad style match up.

Hopkins vs Winky did 300k-350k, somewhere around there and everyone knew that was a terrible match up, so hopkins can be the draw at times. Him slapping/pushing winkys face probably bumped the PPV total by 100k or so lol. He didn't do any publicity stunts this time around.

The other thing is people will like to watch hopkins if it's the right fight. Hopkins vs Pascal II was the highest rated HBO boxing in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
      the only people that bought this were

Dawson's family and friends
      Hopkins' family and friends
      NATAS and Bringer
      You are quite right, the bandwagoners jumped on him after Pascal 1 or 2, because he did press ups.

Comment

You are quite right, the bandwagoners jumped on him after Pascal 1 or 2, because he did press ups.
        apparently not if it did less than 100k!

but yeah I'm a loyal hopkins fan I watch all his fights, even the roy jones PPV

Comment

this is great news for hopkins
          no casual fans saw hopkins quit like a b*tch

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
            apparently not if it did less than 100k!

but yeah I'm a loyal hopkins fan I watch all his fights, even the roy jones PPV

that was the last Hopkins fight i bought

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
              that was the last Hopkins fight i bought
              so you think!

He'll have an absolute stinker everyone like "im never watching him again" then he'll school the fuuck out of someone and everyone forgets.

Bute or Froch better watch out

Comment

so what happened with HBO's policy of transparency with PPV numbers? new boss new policy perhaps? because that's the second PPV in a row with no official numbers. i wonder if pac-marq will follow the same pattern hmmm..........

Comment

I wouldn't say the fans wanted it or else the numbers would reflect better I would say maybe the HARDCORE fans wanted it and/or the fight was necessary. But even then most everyone agreed it was a bad style match up.

Hopkins vs Winky did 300k-350k, somewhere around there and everyone knew that was a terrible match up, so hopkins can be the draw at times. Him slapping/pushing winkys face probably bumped the PPV total by 100k or so lol. He didn't do any publicity stunts this time around.

The other thing is people will like to watch hopkins if it's the right fight. Hopkins vs Pascal II was the highest rated HBO boxing in a few years.
                  You are right only core fans, but then even we didn't go with it since it was a PPV.

Was there even a Face Off? I missed it...

Hopkin's needs someone slower than him and with a low work rate to really show up IMO.

Basically this Dawson fight has killed his career TBH. It's left a bad taste unless he finds someone like Pavlik who we all think he will lose to. To a lesser extent Pascal was a Pavlik after Calzaghe.

Comment

so you think!

He'll have an absolute stinker everyone like "im never watching him again" then he'll school the fuuck out of someone and everyone forgets.

Bute or Froch better watch out

i was talkin about the Roy fight...that was the last Hopkins ppv i bought...i told myself i wasn't gonna buy it...all week i told myself no

then that Saturday, one of my casual fan homies calls and says 'dude, Roy is fighting Hopkins' and yes...a casual fan sold me

Comment

You are right only core fans, but then even we didn't go with it since it was a PPV.

Was there even a Face Off? I missed it...

Hopkin's needs someone slower than him and with a low work rate to really show up IMO.

Basically this Dawson fight has killed his career TBH. It's left a bad taste unless he finds someone like Pavlik who we all think he will lose to. To a lesser extent Pascal was a Pavlik after Calzaghe.
                      killed his career? I doubt it. He's still champ don't forget so he'll have challengers. The Calzaghe fight people said he was DONE, shot, finished, needs to hang 'em up, never step in the ring again etc and then of course pavlik happened and then pascal eventually so you never know with hopkins.

Maybe he is done now (I can't make that conclusion after 1.5 rounds) but he'll have more opportunities, that's for sure. Just on regular HBO or Showtime.

Comment

Working...
                      X