Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 90's Heavyweight division is overrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think 90s HW division was better than the 80s... it was much better than the ****ty, boring current HW division. This era is full of mediocrity.

90s divisions was much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
      It's nowhere near better than the 90s era.

Lewis, Tyson, Bowe and Holyfield decapitate every boxer of this era.
      Agreed. The likes of AJ/Wilder wouldn’t get near holding a belt in the 90’s

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
        That makes no sense. He was probably the most skilled of the heavyweights from that era, honestly. His issue was his lack of heart and his inability to care about his craft. But Bowe was world class Olympian and silver medalist back when it still meant something.
        Bowe had “lack of heart?” He went to war with Holyfield, Golota and other opponents and never quit. In fact, he should have quit- he’s brain damaged now because of his lack of quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezzer View Post
          Competition can often distort views. Often closer competition at slightly lower levels can be viewed as better ability as a result of increased popularity. This is seen across multiple sports, where sometimes “legends” are dismissed because of lack of competition.

Add to that , that people’s view of history is often distorted as they usually remember the highs and forget the lows or middle ground. In addition in boxing in particularly when comparing history you compare someone’s whole career vs present; which for heavyweight boxing can be completely misleading as best years can often be latter years.

We have a situation where because Joshua is so profitable a number are waiting for the battle! But I really do think we will end up looking back at this era (since 2-3 years ago) as a peak time in heavyweight history. The problem for Americans is that is has centered around British fighters mainly.

All these were absolute crackers:
          Takam vs Chisora
          Chisora vs Whyte
          Joshua vs Klitschko
          Whyte vs Joshua
          Parker vs whyte
          Wilder vs Ortiz

(Note how Whyte is on 3 of these, which is why he is becoming more popular and a ppv star in the us in his own right). There are other fights too I haven’t included as I didn’t think they met he hype like Joshua vs Parker, Bellew vs haye (1&2)

Add to that already scheduled:
          Whyte vs Chisora 2
          Fury vs wilder

We could easily look back in 3-4 years time in a completely different view set. Live the present and not the past
          Great post

Comment

I have the Bowe trilogy on DVD and Lewis Bowe Vlad fights among other great HW fights in the 90s. Those fights are better than any current era HW fights combined. It's not nostalgia either. The HW division (not the fighters) is objectively rubbish....again, not the fighters but the rate at which they fight and who they fight, utter crap.... a HW champion who says he won't fight abroad....says it all really.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
              Bowe had “lack of heart?” He went to war with Holyfield, Golota and other opponents and never quit. In fact, he should have quit- he’s brain damaged now because of his lack of quit.
              His lack of heart comes from probably the biggest duck move in the history of boxing, my guy. Look up Bowe throwing his belt away to avoid fighting Lennox Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post

Comment

Just for those interested Box rev has the following:

name points career
                  1 Joe Louis 2,019 1934-1951
                  2 Muhammad Ali 1,758 1960-1981
                  3 Jack Johnson 1,650 1897-1931
                  4 Sam Langford 1,537 1902-1926
                  5 Evander Holyfield 1,523 1984-2011
                  6 Rocky Marciano 1,334 1947-1955
                  7 Gene Tunney 1,332 1915-1928
                  8 Max Schmeling 1,202 1924-1948
                  9 Floyd Patterson 1,187 1952-1972
                  10 Harry Wills 1,161 1911-1932
                  11 Max Baer 1,125 1929-1941
                  12 Jack Sharkey 1,088 1924-1936
                  13 Wladimir Klitschko 1,060 1996-2017
                  14 Larry Holmes 953 1973-2002
                  15 Tommy Burns 939 1902-1920
                  16 Sam McVea 893 1902-1921
                  17 Joe Frazier 818 1965-1981
                  18 James J. Jeffries 761 1895-1910
                  19 Mike Tyson 754 1985-2005
                  20 George Foreman 710 1969-1997

21 Anthony Joshua 682 2013-Present
                  47 Deontay Wilder 389 2008-Present

Comment

I hope you're trolling. Because if you're not, then I worry for your sanity. This era comes nowhere near to the great era of the 90's.

Comment

Working...
                    X