No announcement yet.

Boxing's Champions League

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing's Champions League

So, imagine a world where the top boxers, promoters and tv networks came together to put on a boxing champions league. A league with 8 divisions and 4 fighters per division to pick a clear champion, who would you guys put in this league and what would be the 8 divisions?

Here's mine:

Heavyweight (200+lb)
    Tyson Fury
    Wladimir Klitschko
    Alexander Povetkin
    Deontay Wilder

Light-Heavyweight (168-185lb)
    Adonis Stevenson
    Sergey Kovalev
    Andre Ward
    Krzysztof Glowacki

Middleweight (155-167lb)
    Gennady Golovkin
    Saul Alvarez
    Miguel Cotto
    James DeGale

Light-Middleweight (148-154lb)
    Jermall Charlo
    Jermell Charlo
    Demetrius Andrade
    Erislandy Lara

Welterweight (136-147lb)
    Manny Pacquiao
    Tim Bradley
    Amir Khan
    Terrence Crawford

Lightweight (127-135lb)
    Jorge Linares
    Takashi Uchiyama
    Anthony Crolla
    Nicholas Walters

Featherweight (116-126)
    Vasyl Lomachenko
    Guillermo Rigondeaux
    Nonito Donaire
    Lee Selby

Bantamweight (108-115lb)
    Roman Gonzalez
    Naoya Inoue
    Francisco Estrada
    Amnat Ruonrueng

The Unified Rules of the Champions League
    1. All weigh-ins must be 24 hours before fight night with a re-hydration clause of 3lb. If limit is exceeded then the guilty party must forfeit 50% of fight fees
    2. The three knockdown rule is in effect across all rounds
    3. The corner can only stop the fight in between rounds, throwing in towels will be invalid. The referee can stop the fight at any time in any round.
    4. Stoppage due to a cut, whether via headbutt or punch, will refer back to the scorecard.
    5. All fights are 12, 3 minute rounds with 1 minute in between rounds.
    6. Two judges and the referee score the fight, on a 10 point must system.
    7. In case of a draw on the cards, a "Golden Round" is boxed, the winner of that round wins the fight.
    8. Excessive clinching. headlocks, wrestling of any sort and/or use of elbows will result in a points deduction. A second offense is immediate loss of the fight.

Looking at the list it struck me how tragic it is that top guys don't fight each other. Seeing the names on paper like that really brings it home. Can you imagine how badass boxing would be if you could see championship level guys fight championship level guys more than once or twice a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Looking at the list it struck me how tragic it is that top guys don't fight each other. Seeing the names on paper like that really brings it home. Can you imagine how badass boxing would be if you could see championship level guys fight championship level guys more than once or twice a year?
      I'd be happy with just once a year lol

Loma, Rigo, Walters all these fights should be about to happen, not dream matches. SMH.

Comment

Working...
      X