Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Martial Art For The Streets is still Boxing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Martial Art For The Streets is still Boxing...

First of all, I'm a state wrestling champ in high school. so i have that foundation. I've been boxing for about 5 years now.

My work pays for the gym membership and i've always written off the boxing training. i wanted to do something different these days after watching some anderson silva and buakaw fights.

I go with my buddy who wouldn't stop ringing my ears about Muaythai. Cool cool.

I go and after some heavy conditioning drills. i stayed for the advanced class with some light sparring.

Note, I'm not trying to win a fight. when I spar i think of a street scenerio. So I'm not trying to rack up points to impress no judges like a maricon floozy. this ain't no dancing with the stars.

Anyway, i have pretty much no experience with leg kicks and body kicks. Okay we start.... Muaythai stance is squared up. and i'm in my side profile.... i just start teeing off on these guys. Then they started kicking my legs.. i timed them to the point where every time they kicked i grabbed the leg and took them down. Not to mention, them being squared up opened them up to all kinds of counters as they kicked.

I'm just picturing in my head how the hell is this going to work in the streets? as soon as i take them down, the fight is over. it's hammerfists and field goals. They have no guard games.

The head kick is the only valuable tool in street fighting, but you can only throw 1 before the distance is closed and people start grabbing shirts and unloading at point blank. So if you don't KO someone on entry with the headkick, muaythai is pretty much useless imo

Absolutely not. Kicks allow you to keep out of danger and finish your guy real fast. Or, if you prefer, a sprinter's skills do come in handy! After all, the key is to stay alive!

Comment

Different people have very very very different ideas of what "street fight" means.

The fact that you think the "head kick" is a valuable tool in street fighting says our definitions are rather different...
      Last edited by ////; 03-17-2015, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I don't know, many people believe that MMA is real street fighting.

Although I don't believe I have ever seen guys throwing High Kicks, Super Man punches and submissions in a street fight.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeKidd View Post
          Absolutely not. Kicks allow you to keep out of danger and finish your guy real fast. Or, if you prefer, a sprinter's skills do come in handy! After all, the key is to stay alive!
          kicking ensures you go on the ground if the guy knows what he's doing.

I would close the distance as you pull back the kick. you are also vulnerable to the takedown when you kick. being on your back in the street is pretty much done.

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMartinez View Post

Although I don't believe I have ever seen guys throwing High Kicks, Super Man punches and submissions in a street fight.
            Probably none of them knew how?

Comment

Originally posted by 80sFighter View Post
              Probably none of them knew how?
              No one needs to be fighting anyway.

Atlest look at the George Zimmerman blue print.

Comment

street fights last 2-3 minutes max. most end within 1 minute. people break it up etc.

so if you start throwing leg kicks in that adrenaline filled moment, you're goin to the ground because the guy can grab your pants or leg and down you go. with pants on it's much easier to grab onto the leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickpunch View Post
                  street fights last 2-3 minutes max. most end within 1 minute. people break it up etc.

so if you start throwing leg kicks in that adrenaline filled moment, you're goin to the ground because the guy can grab your pants or leg and down you go. with pants on it's much easier to grab onto the leg.
                  Exactly. Pretty much.

But there are some that swear by MMA in a street fight.

Comment

How often do you see well trained in BJJ, Kickboxing or Muay Thai guys in street fights? And most street fights never finish 1 v 1.

It's a moot point really, because most people own a knife. A guy big enough trained in any real martial art will beat someone not trained, lets just leave the argument there.

Comment

Working...
                    X