Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jab practice video, please critique

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice. Sorry I haven't replied in so long

Some questions...

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
    1. Stop bouncing. Its a flaw.

2. Bring your jab back very fast.

3. Jab in frame one, then frame 2 on the right side. If you don't know what frames are, YouTube it.
    Good call on the bouncing, I've never thought about it before. It's a bad habit I've picked up, basically thinking that bouncing = defense lol

As for the frames, I checked and you mean "head slots" right? Like moving your head to the left, or to the right when jabbing. I couldn't find anything on "frame 1" and "frame 2" though

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    Do you have a trainer? Because your stance is all kinds of wrong, a lot of pointless bouncing and you're bringing your lead foot off the ground constantly.
    You need to get your stance and basic movement corrected first and foremost.
    Yeah I have a trainer but he's never mentioned the bouncing and footwork before. About my footwork/stance, he's usually telling me to relax my knees more and keep my back straight without bringing my head forward.

I don't know what you mean about bringing my lead foot off the ground. I do it when I move anywhere, and I'm doing it when I jab because I always thrust forward on the jab. Are you saying that when jabbing I don't always need to thrust forward?

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    The most fundamental error is that your weight is on your front foot. You seem to know to put a slight thrust behind your jab, but you're getting no power because your rear leg is already extended, with no weight on it. It's all physics.
    Discipline yourself so that your rear foot is only on the ball while you're punching, not between punches.
    So you mean, between punches my body weight should be evenly balanced on both feet?

Originally posted by JayID View Post
    Something that no one has mentioned yet is that your front foot is always flat when thrusting into the jab. Leaving all the weight on your front foot doesn't allow for the quick in and out movement that you need.
    I haven't noticed that before. When I thrust into the jab, should my weight be 100% on the back foot? Does that mean I should adjust my posture slightly for that?

When I showed this video to my trainer, he just said it's "not bad" and then started talking about my technique for the straight right. I suppose I need to concentrate on what my trainer is telling me

Comment

Working...
    X