No announcement yet.

Renaissance Italy Had Syphilitic Zombies Wandering the Streets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Renaissance Italy Had Syphilitic Zombies Wandering the Streets

When most people picture the High Renaissance, they probably imagine Italian folks in posh clothes admiring the works of da Vinci, Michelangelo, and others.

But at the same time, Italy experienced something closely akin to a zombie movie during the first major outbreak of syphilis in 1494. Yeah, before antibiotics, this particular STD was less "secret shame" and more "literally rots your fucking face off." According to one description, the disease (which may have been carried over from New World cooters to Naples bumholes via French dongs) "caused flesh to fall from people's faces, and led to death within a few months." More specifically, the outbreak caused "the complete destruction of the lips, others of the nose, and others of all their genitals."

Meaning, it was not out of place to see victims shambling around who had lost "hands, feet, eyes, and noses to the disease." So if today's Renaissance fairs were accurate, about half the people would look like Walking Dead extras.

As horrifying as the thought of having undead genitalia may seem, the worst part is actually the phrase "within a few months" -- that means that the afflicted somehow lived for months in this condition, the whole time screaming with pain as their flesh "was eaten away, in some cases down to the bone." Which is appropriate, because "the bone" is why you get syphilis in the first place.

In short, for a brief period during the time of the great Renaissance masters, it was common to see people, never mind a whole army of Frenchmen, walking around with their faces falling off their exposed skulls until they finally dropped dead.

"Naw, man, I'm clean. Now hurry up, I got other clients."

http://www.cracked.com/article_20751...ror-movie.html

I really laugh when people say we are living in the "end times". Most people don't have a clue how horrific life was just a few hundred years ago.

I read once that the streets in London smelled like **** because people would literally **** in buckets and just toss them out of windows. There were rivers of **** running down the streets in Europe at one time.

Imagine the sickness, disease and pestilence. Disgusting man, I'm glad to be living today, and 100 years from now the people will be saying the same exact thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      I really laugh when people say we are living in the "end times". Most people don't have a clue how horrific life was just a few hundred years ago.

I read once that the streets in London smelled like **** because people would literally **** in buckets and just toss them out of windows. There were rivers of **** running down the streets in Europe at one time.

Imagine the sickness, disease and pestilence. Disgusting man, I'm glad to be living today, and 100 years from now the people will be saying the same exact thing.
      We tend to often romanticize the past ages. Life was shit to many ordinary people back then, though (as it is today, mind you). At least most people in the civilized world have access to proper medical help these days and don't die from what would today be normal, easily curable deceases.

Comment

Well the days of antibiotics are numbered so we will see this in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X