Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

View Poll Results: Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time?
Wilfred Benitez 11 29.73%
Wilfredo Vazquez Sr. 0 0%
Carlos Ortiz 6 16.22%
Miguel Angel Cotto 1 2.70%
Felix Trinidad 8 21.62%
Hector Camacho Sr. 2 5.41%
Edwin Rosario 0 0%
Wilfredo Gomez 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2012, 12:08 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Salardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 400,537,105,370.22
When you use it think of me - BMWM3P This color matches your eyes - BMWM3P one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - BMWM3P 
Default Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time? (tough question)

Poll: Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time?
(That's actually a tough poll)- I added the boxrec links next to the fighters!

-Wilfred Benitez: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Wilfredo Vazquez Sr.: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Carlos Ortiz: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Miguel Angel Cotto: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Felix Trinidad: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Hector Camacho Sr: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Edwin Rosario: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Wilfredo Gomez: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

Last edited by Salardo; 03-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Salardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-10-2012, 12:11 PM #2
BoxingScene Icon

Quoted: 3073 Post(s)
IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 155,148,781,951,273,566,208.00
Total Points: 155,149,811,171,389,997,056.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel Im glad you learned how to use internet Grandpa - Canelo and GGG 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Carlos Ortiz.

And by quite a margin, in my opinion.
IronDanHamza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:11 PM #3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
W@rri0r has a spectacular aura aboutW@rri0r has a spectacular aura aboutW@rri0r has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 52,400,562.60
Total Points: 57,398,752.26

For the Ricans it will always be Tito.
W@rri0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Salardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond reputeSalardo has a reputation beyond repute
When you use it think of me - BMWM3P This color matches your eyes - BMWM3P one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. 

I added the boxrec links next to the fighters.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

I was tempted to vote for Benitez cause I love defensiver fighters and Benitez is one of the best who ever did it as far as defence is concerned. But he lost most of his biggest fights (Leonard, Hearns). Trinidad has a sick number of title defences and ruled for about 7 years at welterweight.
Cotto is close to being the best ever in my opinion.
Then we have old timers like Carlos Ortiz, Hall of Famer. It is a very difficult decision to say who is the greatest Puerto Rican ever.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 PM #6
BoxingScene Icon

IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel Im glad you learned how to use internet Grandpa - Canelo and GGG 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls of Fame View Post
I was tempted to vote for Benitez cause I love defensiver fighters and Benitez is one of the best who ever did it as far as defence is concerned. But he lost most of his biggest fights (Leonard, Hearns). Trinidad has a sick number of title defences and ruled for about 7 years at welterweight.
Cotto is close to being the best ever in my opinion.
Then we have old timers like Carlos Ortiz, Hall of Famer. It is a very difficult decision to say who is the greatest Puerto Rican ever.
Benitez won big fights, he won more big fights than he lost - Cervantes, Duran, Palominio.

Miguel Cotto is no where near there. Not even in the argument an to be honest shouldn't be in the poll.

The argument is between Carlos Ortiz,Wilfredo Gomez and Benitez.

But in all honesty, it's pretty clearly Carlos Ortiz. His resume is far superior to almost everyone on the poll.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
Benitez won big fights, he won more big fights than he lost - Cervantes, Duran, Palominio.

Miguel Cotto is no where near there. Not even in the argument an to be honest shouldn't be in the poll.

The argument is between Carlos Ortiz,Wilfredo Gomez and Benitez.

But in all honesty, it's pretty clearly Carlos Ortiz. His resume is far superior to almost everyone on the poll.
I have Cotto in there cause nobody belongs into this list as much his him. Cause Cotto fought the toughest, best fighters in the world over and over and over again. Look at his record and you see one killer in his prime after the other, and Cotto got in the ring with ALL OF THEM. And at the end of the day he lost only against Pacquiao cause the first Margarito fight is in question because of the plaster of paris situation with Margarito.
You dont have Trinidad in your top 3? I dont think Ortiz should be number one although he could be....
Old 03-10-2012, 12:55 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond reputetesla_power has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,021,306,107,295.56
Total Points: 2,021,306,161,473.40

Quote:
Poll: Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time?
(That's actually a tough poll)- I added the boxrec links next to the fighters!

-Wilfred Benitez: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Wilfredo Vazquez Sr.: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Carlos Ortiz: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Miguel Angel Cotto: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Felix Trinidad: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Hector Camacho Sr: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Edwin Rosario: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

-Wilfredo Gomez: [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

Ortiz. Then Benitez , then Gomez. ( IMO, benitez-gomez is interchangeable depending on style preference ). Then Tito. Then Vasquez. Then Camacho. Then Cotto.
tesla_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:00 PM #9
BoxingScene Icon

Quote:
I have Cotto in there cause nobody belongs into this list as much his him. Cause Cotto fought the toughest, best fighters in the world over and over and over again. Look at his record and you see one killer in his prime after the other, and Cotto got in the ring with ALL OF THEM. And at the end of the day he lost only against Pacquiao cause the first Margarito fight is in question because of the plaster of paris situation with Margarito.
You dont have Trinidad in your top 3? I dont think Ortiz should be number one although he could be....
In that case, where is Juan Laporte in your poll?

Juan Laporte always fought the best, look at his record. Look who he got in the ring with over and over and over again. Who Cotto fought pales in comparison to who Laporte fought.

Laporte fought; Chavez, Nelson, Sanchez, Gomez, Tszyu, McGuigan, Pedroza the list goes on.

He beat some good fighters too.

I don't see why a fighter should be ranked highly because he fought the best. Yeah, fighting the best is admirable but it's who you beat which elevates your greatness.

Miguel Cotto's resume simply is not even close to being in the argument to being the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time. It just simply isn't. It pales in comparison to the ATG Rican's.

And I don't have Trinidad in my Top 3, no.

I don't consider Trinidad an ATG like I do Ortiz, Gomez and Benitez.

In my opinion it goes;

1. Ortiz
2. Benitez
3. Gomez

And those 3 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Although, like I said, I can't really see how Ortiz isn't the greatest Rican fighter of all time.

His resume is so superior to everyone elses IMO.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
In that case, where is Juan Laporte in your poll?

Juan Laporte always fought the best, look at his record. Look who he got in the ring with over and over and over again. Who Cotto fought pales in comparison to who Laporte fought.

Laporte fought; Chavez, Nelson, Sanchez, Gomez, Tszyu, McGuigan, Pedroza the list goes on.

He beat some good fighters too.

I don't see why a fighter should be ranked highly because he fought the best. Yeah, fighting the best is admirable but it's who you beat which elevates your greatness.

Miguel Cotto's resume simply is not even close to being in the argument to being the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time. It just simply isn't. It pales in comparison to the ATG Rican's.

And I don't have Trinidad in my Top 3, no.

I don't consider Trinidad an ATG like I do Ortiz, Gomez and Benitez.

In my opinion it goes;

1. Ortiz
2. Benitez
3. Gomez

And those 3 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Although, like I said, I can't really see how Ortiz isn't the greatest Rican fighter of all time.

His resume is so superior to everyone elses IMO.
honestly, I dont see how Benitez is higher than Cotto. Benitez also lost to Davey Moore and Hamsho (besides losing to Hearns and getting ko'ed by Leonard). a win against a blown up lightweight like Duran at 154 isnt exactly the greatest thing ever. I dont see anything Benitez or Gomez have done that would put them above Cotto really.
as for LaPorte: he lost all those fights against the big names. Cotto won all those fights against top fighters (almost all)

Share This With Friends

Tags
(tough, boxer, greatest, puerto, question), rican, time?

User Tag List