Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fernando Montiel vs Hozumi Hasegawa, APRIL 2010, who takes it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fernando Montiel vs Hozumi Hasegawa, APRIL 2010, who takes it???

According to Sidney Boquiren of The Boxing Bulletin and Ringwalk NIPPON, per Sports Hochi, the rare Japanese unification fight may be in negotiations between Hozumi Hasegawa and Fernando Montiel. If it does somehow come off, it's one of the better fights that can be made in the lower weight classes, with a pound for pound level fighter facing off against a three-weight titlist.

There are two reasons this type of fight has been rare in Japan. First is that the money isn't necessarily there. Hasegawa does just fine in pulling advertising market share while fighting the mandatories and fringe top 10 fighters that he's been facing. While Montiel is somewhat well known elsewhere, he's not a star by any means in Japan. The risk of this fight would be much greater, without any immediate reward of a bigger payday.

The second, more important, stumbling block is that the Japanese boxing commission only recognizes the WBC and the WBA. Montiel is currently a WBO beltholder, and for Hasegawa to fight him, he would need to seek an exception both from the WBC and the Japanese commission to face someone who is not ranked (since he's a champion of an 'illegal' sanctioning body.

According to Boquiren, both the WBC and the JBC are willing to grant this exemption, but it also means that if Hasegawa wins, he would likely be stripped of one of his titles very quickly. That could present a dilemma - either continue to do the same thing he was doing before, in which case the unification has no real benefit, or leave the comforts of home to try to build a name abroad, where Hasegawa would be permitted to defend his new belt.

Montiel potentially has more to gain than Hasegawa for this matchup. While he's won belts in three weight classes and has held one belt or another for almost a decade straight, he doesn't have tremendous name recognition, nor does he have an immense legacy. A win over someone Hasegawa's caliber may very well seal his ticket into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

The final interesting dynamic is trying to get super promoters Bob Arum and Akihito Honda to work together on a fight. Neither promoter is known to make matches with outsiders where his cash cow has a legitimate chance of losing. For the fight to happen, someone will need to cede control, and someone will need to act out of character.

While there are quite a few obstacles to overcome, this could be a compelling battle if it does come off. And if it does, let's hope that they find a way to actually get the fight on the air on U.S. television.

Hozumi has a 2 inch height advantage and a 1 and a half inch reach advantage.

Hozumi is the no.1 rated japanese fighter in the world. Montiel is the 2nd highest rated mexican fighter in the world behind Juan Manuel Marquez.

This would be the biggest fight of both fighters careers.

Hozumi Hasegawa

age 29
    manager/agent register
    division bantamweight
    stance southpaw
    height 5′ 6″ / 168cm
    reach 66˝″ / 169cm
    nationality Japan
    residence Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
    birth place Nishiwaki, Hyogo, Japan
    won 28 (KO 12) + lost 2 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 30
    rounds boxed 209 KO% 40

Fernando Montiel

sex male
    birth date 1979-03-01
    age 30
    manager/agent register
    division bantamweight
    stance orthodox
    height 5′ 4″ / 163cm
    reach 65″ / 165cm
    alias Cochulito
    nationality Mexico
    residence Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico
    birth name Fernando Montiel Martínez
    won 40 (KO 30) + lost 2 (KO 0) + drawn 2 = 44
    rounds boxed 263 KO% 68.18
    Hasegawa by KO
    41.67%
    Montiel by KO
    8.33%
    Hasegawa by DEC
    25.00%
    Montiel By Dec
    16.67%
    I don't care.
    8.33%

I would go with Hasegwa by UD he has turned into a great south paw

Comment

I would absolutely LOVE this fight to happen but considering all the reasons TS just mentioned it will not,especially not in april.

As far as it goes I'd go with Hasegawa decisevely especially in Japan.
      He's far more fluid with his combinations,his snap in his punches aswell as his deliviring has improved so much that he gets guys out of there very fast nowadays,and really Montiel's style fits pefecetly to him imo.Montiel will fight him more than he should,Hasegawa has this gift of making guys fight him more than they really should.
      Only thing I'd say Montiel does better is the jab since Hasegawa only uses it to set up different things.

Comment

Hasegawa has a dangerous claws, can KO Montiel

Comment

Great fight. I can't wait.

Comment

That would be a good fight.

Comment

make it happen and put da fuggin fight on hbo bobfather.

Comment

I would love to see Montiel/Donaire/Hasegawa fight each other. I don't care who fights who. I'm just excited it looks like one might happen.

Comment

Working...
                X