Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's next in line to be a mainstream star?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think there is one right now, boxing still in the transitioning stage.

Comment

• Anyone that becomes active against top fighters. The door is wide open.

Comment

• Only Anthony Joshua.

Lomachenko is Ukrainian & small which means he will only be a star within the boxing community

Comment

• joshua in the UK

maybe in the states

the casual sporting world is starved for a HW champion to get behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
            He really really isn't.

He's a huge name in boxing, maybe a mainstream star in Mexico but he's not really known worldwide outside of that. Maybe he's known to some casual sports fans but crossing over to mainstream culture? not even close. Go walk down the street in almost everywhere and ask who he is..they won't know.

McGregor is a mainstream fighter, albeit if UFC. Pretty much everyone that pays attention to mainstream/popular culture knows who he is, whether they like the sport or not. Mayweather and Pacquiao were too for a while. Mayweather especially is now because of the Conor fight. Someone like Mike Tyson was a mainstream star that transcended boxing. Everyone knows who he is and what he did.

Joshua and Canelo are the same, mainstream figures in their respected countries but not part of mainstream culture across many countries. Not even close.
            I’m not saying Canelo is Ali by any means but he’s the most mainstream star in boxing today. He may not been mainstream in English speaking countries but he is huge in Spanish speaking and Latino countries. Saying Canelo and AJ are the same is a tad unfair on Canelo IMO, Canelo has proven he can draw in several different countries. AJ is yet to to be a big draw outside of the UK market. I’m not saying he can’t draw in other markets but he just hasn’t proven it yet.

Comment

• Crawford, Lomachenko, Spence

Comment

• What does Spence have to do to become mainstream? Got the look, talent, and personality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sicario* View Post
                  What does Spence have to do to become mainstream? Got the look, talent, and personality.
                  He’s got the right attitude as well, he genuinely wants to fight the best ASAP. I think he has all the potential in the world to be a superstar as long as he maintains this high level of performance, fights more actively and manages to snare more high profile fights vs Thurman, Garcia, Crawford etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                    He’s got the right attitude as well, he genuinely wants to fight the best ASAP. I think he has all the potential in the world to be a superstar as long as he maintains this high level of performance, fights more actively and manages to snare more high profile fights vs Thurman, Garcia, Crawford etc.
                    Those mofos need to step up tho and fight him. Worse case scenario is he moves up to 154.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sicario* View Post
                      Those mofos need to step up tho and fight him. Worse case scenario is he moves up to 154.
                      Hopefully we get Spence-Thurman this year, I’m remaining optimistic, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Thurman continues to delay it. I hope Spence really takes control of his career and demands these fights instead of taking the whole “I leave it all to my team and Al Haymon” approach that so many of these PBC guys tend to have.

Comment

Working...
                      X