No announcement yet.

When fans perceive a threat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When fans perceive a threat

The Brook vs Spence fight seems like it will be made now and I'm really excited about it and honestly can't pick a winner, which is why I lobbied for this over the Khan fight which was never happening to be honest.

What I noticed is that you don't see people who are backing Brook trying to build Spence up, they are tearing him down and downplaying his worthiness of the hype he has received. This is GOOD, this tells you we have a real fight on our hands.

Compare that to the Golovkin vs Jacobs fight where we have those backing GGG trying to build Jacobs up and basically sell the fight to us, this tells me it's not perceived as a competitive fight and deep down those fans don't see Jacobs as a threat.

I don't think anyone would argue that both Brook and Golovkin are favourites heading into the fights but you can't deny that there is a difference in how both these fights are being discussed on here and it comes down to Spence being seen as a threat where as Jacobs isn't. So call Spence the next Jeff Lacy or American hype job or whatever but the truth is (pun intended) you know he's a worthy opponent and a threat otherwise you would be trying to build him up like Jacobs so you can overrate the win rather than tear him down.

Just my thoughts on the fight.

I don't understand that. Kell Brook can fight. Luckily I have no horse in this race so I can enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      I don't understand that. Kell Brook can fight. Luckily I have no horse in this race so I can enjoy it.
      Same here, I won't lose sleep over whoever wins. I just want to see a great fight and the winner move on to unification bouts. I hope the loser gives a valiant effort and can rebuild also.

Comment

I've been seeing it from both ends and it's quite comical. Brook is a "eurobum" and Spence is a coddled American who isn't ready for the big bad Brook.

This is a great fight, actual boxing fans know this.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
          I've been seeing it from both ends and it's quite comical. Brook is a "eurobum" and Spence is a coddled American who isn't ready for the big bad Brook.

This is a great fight, actual boxing fans know this.
          The people calling Brook a Euro bum and Spence a coddled American are also admitting it's a good fight albeit without really knowing that they are. The animosity between the fan bases is evidence of this. When you perceive a threat to a fighter you like it's natural to downplay that threat, you certainly shouldn't be building it up.

Comment

Brook is a beast at 147, never count him out.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
              The Brook vs Spence fight seems like it will be made now and I'm really excited about it and honestly can't pick a winner, which is why I lobbied for this over the Khan fight which was never happening to be honest.

What I noticed is that you don't see people who are backing Brook trying to build Spence up, they are tearing him down and downplaying his worthiness of the hype he has received. This is GOOD, this tells you we have a real fight on our hands.

Compare that to the Golovkin vs Jacobs fight where we have those backing GGG trying to build Jacobs up and basically sell the fight to us, this tells me it's not perceived as a competitive fight and deep down those fans don't see Jacobs as a threat.

I don't think anyone would argue that both Brook and Golovkin are favourites heading into the fights but you can't deny that there is a difference in how both these fights are being discussed on here and it comes down to Spence being seen as a threat where as Jacobs isn't. So call Spence the next Jeff Lacy or American hype job or whatever but the truth is (pun intended) you know he's a worthy opponent and a threat otherwise you would be trying to build him up like Jacobs so you can overrate the win rather than tear him down.

Just my thoughts on the fight.
              I don't get the immaturity of the GGG fans. They are very worried that fans might give Spence more credit for beating Brook than they do GGG.

This only makes sense given Spence is a young untested prospect in his 1st championship fight while GGG was an older MW who was fighting a WW moving up.

You should really just ignore the very worst GGG fans like bigdramashow, jubei, freedom/jagen hgar, and a few others. They have decided, even though there is ample evidence proving them wrong, that only black posters on NSB criticize GGG.

As a response, they will attack Floyd, Ward or any black fighter connected to Haymon. They see 1 poster over hyping Spence and they are pretending it is more to try and pretend their issue is over hype when it really isn't.

GGG and Spence both appear to be special boxers. Hopefully, they both get a chance to show just how special when matched against top tier and elite talent.

I'm going to enjoy both GGG/Jacobs and Spence/Brook if the fight gets made.

Comment

No, they are not tearing Spence down. They are trying to slow down the ridiculously fast hype train. With Threads like "Who would in, Spence or Tito?" And then the comments be like "Idk, tough to pick of." It isn't hard to imagine that there are critics that would scream "SPENCE IS A PROSPECT! LET HIM FIGHT BROOK FIRST! HIS BEST WIN IS ALGERIE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mequetrefe View Post
                  Brook is a beast at 147, never count him out.
                  He's still the favourite going in for me, if you could guarantee me that he'd get down to 147 and be his pre-GGG self then I'd be confident in picking him to win. Spence's chances are definitely better after the Golovkin fight.

Comment

youre reading too much into it. People are sick and tired of hearing how amazing spence is based on him beating 40 year old bundu and algieri. Weve had this hype before with broner and its the same old song and dance. Got teddy atlas putting him on the p4p list, saw someone today saying hes going to beat golovkin soon. Its ridiculous. We had all this with broner, 'hes the next mayweather!' you guys were all so sure of it, it was just a matter of time!!! Then he stepped up, and got brutally found out. J-rock williams, saw he was on a few peoples sigs, this guy was the future, he'd been looking real good against them c level fighters and the power was legit! Charlo was going to be his coming out party! Then he stepped up, and got ko'd. Time and time again people overhype fighters and get carried away especially with offensive fighters, when they start knocking out lower level fighters quicker than other people have. So im not just picking on american fighters i'll use a recent uk example, david price just got stopped for the 4th time. Seems ridiculous now, but this guy was espn prospect of the year,would have been heavy favourite against tyson fury, he was meant to be the next lennox lewis, then he stepped up and got found out. Now hes pretty much a laughing stock but this guy was meant to be next heavyweight superstar. Errol spence MAY become a top fighter and ive got nothing against him. But what makes my blood boil is how people take it for granted that hes the next welterweight king, saw people just dismissing lacy comparisons, they cant fathom how spence could possibly be a hype job. Its quite possible brook could absolutely school him, its quite possible spence demolishes him, people should just wait and see before making these ridiculous assertions of how great spence is based on him walking through fighters that have absolutely zero power. Lets see what happens when he gets punched back and reign the hype in please, sick of reading it.

Comment

Working...
                    X