Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far exactly was Tyson from his prime when he fought Lewis in 2002?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
    Tyson could have been 100% in his prime he still would have lost to Lewis ......yeah Tyson was past it for sure but Lewis wasn't exactly in his prime, he was older and was also slower and heavier.....when Lewis beat Tyson he was clever.....he used his natural weight to gradually take the fight out of him..lean on him and hit from a distance and when ever Tyson attacked he smothered him.....Tyson never faced anybody with Lewis's ability.....if you don't think so look at the way he easily beat ruddock in 2 rounds and even dealt with tucker easier ...dropped him twice and won a clear decision..Tyson also vacated his title because Lewis was his mandatory and paid Lewis 4 million to step aside....Lewis was superior
    I haven't seen Lewis look much better in his entire career than what he did against Tyson. He also had his career best performance the fight before against Rahman.

I don't buy into the whole "Lewis was also out of his prime" because it's just not true.

Comment

That fight I don't use to decide who would have won in their primes

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        I haven't seen Lewis look much better in his entire career than what he did against Tyson. He also had his career best performance the fight before against Rahman.

I don't buy into the whole "Lewis was also out of his prime" because it's just not true.
        Go watch Lewis from around the Golota fight and compare to Lewis v Tyson and tell me Lewis didn't lose a couple of steps over the years. If you do you're lying.

Comment

Tyson's prime years were from 1986-1990 (Douglas beat a prime Tyson and all the apologists can stfu). His absolute peak was probably 87-89, he seemed unbeatable for the majority of that time, was quick, hungry, strong and brutal. The most feared man on the planet.

He was still a very good, if not prime, fighter in 95 and 96. From then on, a physical, mental and op-positional deterioration occurred. He was fighting bums, training like a bum and thinking like a bum.

Like him or hate him, there's no denying Lewis was picking up the crumbs and the hwole boxing world knew it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
            Tyson could have been 100% in his prime he still would have lost to Lewis ......yeah Tyson was past it for sure but Lewis wasn't exactly in his prime, he was older and was also slower and heavier.....when Lewis beat Tyson he was clever.....he used his natural weight to gradually take the fight out of him..lean on him and hit from a distance and when ever Tyson attacked he smothered him.....Tyson never faced anybody with Lewis's ability.....if you don't think so look at the way he easily beat ruddock in 2 rounds and even dealt with tucker easier ...dropped him twice and won a clear decision..Tyson also vacated his title because Lewis was his mandatory and paid Lewis 4 million to step aside....Lewis was superior
            TELL EM! Lewis would of beaten Tyson prime vs prime. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post

This is a case of fans trying to bolster their guy in any way possible. Acting as if Lewis v Tyson was a meaningful win is pretty sad. People need to let that go. Was Lenox 100%? Maybe not but Lewis retired before he ever looked "bad". Tyson really looked shameful in his later years.

Who wins prime for prime is another discussion entirely.

Comment

Tyson looked pretty past it in that fight. Tyson's "prime" probably ended the fight night he lost to Buster Douglas. He was set to fight Holyfield the next fight but of course the loss changed all that. Then he went to the joint and all that. I'd say his peak was when he annihilated Spinks. So 13-14 years later? Yeah Tyson was toasted..

Comment

Tyson was shot to bits.

Comment

Even though it wasn't a prime Tyson, you get the feeling Lennox cherishes that win more the anything. Even beating a past prime Tyson is euphoric for Lennox. It don't matter to Lennox.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                      Even though it wasn't a prime Tyson, you get the feeling Lennox cherishes that win more the anything. Even beating a past prime Tyson is euphoric for Lennox. It don't matter to Lennox.
                      Well yeah because he'd been told his whole career, just like Holyfield, "you never fought Tyson, never beat Iron Mike, blah, blah, blah". Has to get old after awhile. I'm sure he exorcised a lot of demons that night..

Comment

Working...
                      X