Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I watched some old footage of Henry Armstrong and......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched some old footage of Henry Armstrong and......

Pacquiao, Floyd, Lomachenko or anyone who has good fundamentals would have had their way on him. Too open when he tries to bore in trying to get on the inside. They would have catch him coming in again and again. Floyd would have easily out boxed Armstrong from the outside, not giving him any chance to close in the distance with the jab and keep him their all night.

Pacquiao would have catch Armstrong coming in every time and pivots out before he could do anymore damage.

Lomachenko would have danced around him side to side and checks his chin, or make him look like Nicolas Walters.

I usually dont agree with you but you are spot on with this one. He would be another shawn porter in the modern era.

Comment

So you hit armstrong. Big woop. Hes still going to keep coming and coming and coming for 15 rnds non stop. He is one of the best pure inside fighters to have ever lived, and one of the most effective ring generals ever also. Go watch any fight you can find of Armstrongs and see if the fight takes place anywhere but short range.

Considering what Salido did to Loma as an old man, i dont think its much of a stretch to say a bigger, sttonger, fitter, harder punching, tougher, more intelligent version of Salido could beat even an improved version of Lomachenko.

Floyd and Manny are obviously ATGs so they are much more difficult prospects for Armstrong. Floyd struggled with many pressure fighters through the years so i would give the edge to Armstrong there. Armstrong would push him like no one has pushed him before, though Floyd being an ATG would obviously have his successes. Hatton Armstrong was not.

Pac has the best style to beat Armstrong out of the guys you mentioned. Ill just say that it would have been a great great fight.

Comment

For a period of 3 years from 1937 to 1940, Armstrong was arguably the greatest fighter ever.

I dont think any run of fights is as impressive as what he achieved that 3 year period.

Simultaneously holding 3 world titles in the 3 weightclasses (thats old timey weight classes, from Featherweight to Welterweight and back down to Lightweight), setting the record for number of WW title defences (19, which is still a record today), jumping to a 4th weight class and getting a very disputable draw over 10rnds with the MW champ. Pretty much unthinkable. Unbelievable.

After that he fell into vices such as drink and women and never reclaimed the success he had achieved in that period.
        Last edited by Tom Cruise; 01-25-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

So you're comparing a man who fought 60-70 years ago in comparison to an era where science, nutrition, and physical exercise has been improved upon tremendously.

What happens if Armstrong has the same teaching/training principles as modern fighters?

Comment

I want to see a current fighter that fights at the pace of Henry Armstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
              I want to see a current fighter that fights at the pace of Henry Armstrong.
              Not just the pace but the ability on the inside is phenomenal. The way he creates room for his own punches while simultaneously crowding his opponents was second to none. Only Duran is on the level that Armstrong was as an inside fighter IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
                So you're comparing a man who fought 60-70 years ago in comparison to an era where science, nutrition, and physical exercise has been improved upon tremendously.

What happens if Armstrong has the same teaching/training principles as modern fighters?
                Exactly. These matchups are beyond meaningless: they're completely inaccurate. Like musicians or artists, these guys build on the techniques and styles developed by those who came before them. Comparing them makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

Aaron Pryor fought like Armstrong and beat Alexis Arguello, one of the most fundamentally sound fighters to ever lace up a pair of boxing gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    Exactly. These matchups are beyond meaningless: they're completely inaccurate. Like musicians or artists, these guys build on the techniques and styles developed by those who came before them. Comparing them makes absolutely no sense.
                    There isnt a pressure fighter today with the skill set or ability that Armstrong had.

Comment

Working...
                    X