Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it harder for white east european fighters to get respected from American fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres two major knocks against European fighters in the eyes of the casual American viewer. One is that Europeans are boring. In reality they aren't off base because most are boring. Europeans have evolved and become more exciting but it's a stigma that hasn't really been shook. I was talking to a few of my co workers who know I enjoy boxing and I was telling them about a few European fighters and the first comment one of them made is "aren't Europeans boring"?

Second and more damning than being boring is, American fans look at European fighters as second rate. Throughout history American fighters have always been top dog and beat down other nations. Most casual fans think that fighting a European or any other nation for that matter is a stepping stone.

Comment

Yes, I think it is. I think the Americans start off with a negative opinion of the Euros and need to be proven wrong.

Comment

I don't want to generalize all Eastern Europeans, but many of them fight a deliberate style that does not attract fans here in the U.S., and personally I think that's the biggest problem. It's certainly not that Americans have a problem embracing and popularizing foreign fighters, look at Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
          Theres two major knocks against European fighters in the eyes of the casual American viewer. One is that Europeans are boring. In reality they aren't off base because most are boring. Europeans have evolved and become more exciting but it's a stigma that hasn't really been shook. I was talking to a few of my co workers who know I enjoy boxing and I was telling them about a few European fighters and the first comment one of them made is "aren't Europeans boring"?

Second and more damning than being boring is, American fans look at European fighters as second rate. Throughout history American fighters have always been top dog and beat down other nations. Most casual fans think that fighting a European or any other nation for that matter is a stepping stone.
          Yeah whereas yanks have action packed entertaining fighters like Bradley, Alexander, Ward, Dawson, Hopkins

Comment

George Foreman: "The Klitschkos would be great fighters in any era"

Wlad and Vitali are all time greats and they're both going to the hall of fame whether you like it or not.

You idiotic haters can go fuck yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              Yeah whereas yanks have action packed entertaining fighters like Bradley, Alexander, Ward, Dawson, Hopkins
              They like those fighters because they see them as athletic. Casual fans view most Europeans as very technical and boring. Probably because they don't have the same skills as those guys. Not my views, just what people say. A lot of these people grew up seeing Ali, SRL, Hagler, Hearns, and Tyson. Not many Europeans can say they have speed on par with some of those guys or power like some of those guys. Europeans don't fight like black Americans.

Comment

Check is a ******ed xenophobic American piece of shit.

Black Americans are ALWAYS getting owned by Eastern Europeans.

When is the last time a black American KO'd a top Eastern European fighter?

Every week Blacks are getting KTFO by Eastern Europeans.

Comment

Sorry to spoil the party but pirog is from Temryuk, Russia

Which is in Asia, not eastern europe
                  Last edited by Russian Crushin; 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Didn't know Povetkin is great fighter ..

Comment

Originally posted by Steelhammer2011 View Post
                      Check is a ******ed xenophobic American piece of shit.

Black Americans are ALWAYS getting owned by Eastern Europeans.

When is the last time a black American KO'd a top Eastern European fighter?

Every week Blacks are getting KTFO by Eastern Europeans.
                      WTF? I was telling you how most Americans feel. Whens the last time a Eastern European kayoed a top black American? Your claim to fame is having a 31 year old man knock out a 21 year old prospect. Pirogs career

Comment

Working...
                      X