Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the better fighter Carl Froch or Sergey Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    Yeah this. And that's kinda my take. Froch kept forcing the pace and even though Ward was outclassing him he was forced to fight at a higher pace than he would have prefered which eventually started to tire him.

In Kovalev I for whatever reason - gassing, bodyshots or simply the belief that he had it in the bag, Sergei gradually allowed Ward to begin controlling the pace of the fight, slowing it down to the speed at which he was most comfortable. Myself I still think Sergei deserved the nod, but the marked shift in the second half was due largely to this I think. Had Kovalev been willing or able to keep pushing the tempo in the way Froch did he would have been a very clear victor.
    Add to the fact that 2011 Ward at 168 > 2016/7 Ward at 175

Comment

Kovalev is the more skilled. I think Froch may be tougher both physically and mentally.

There's a reason why Ward said that Froch was a tougher fight, man. Carl might have been out of his depth skillwise but the dude never stopped coming and by the championship rounds Ward was starting to look increasingly uncomfortable. Contrast that to Kovalev I where Sergei never really seemed to trouble him much after about the sixth and basically allowed Dre to dictate the pace in the second half.
      What about round 10? What about the bolo attempt followed by a sergey knuckle sandwich? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
        What about round 10? What about the bolo attempt followed by a sergey knuckle sandwich? Lol
        Or 12 where Sergey basically jabbed his head till till the final seconds.

Comment

Froch is the better total package imo. He has 2 loses, and got one of them back. He doesn't seem like he's that great, but he does a lot of tricky stuff. He also is mentally much stronger than kovalev. Never would be quite to Ward's level, but very good fighter overall

Comment

Kovalev is the more skilled. I think Froch may be tougher both physically and mentally.

There's a reason why Ward said that Froch was a tougher fight, man. Carl might have been out of his depth skillwise but the dude never stopped coming and by the championship rounds Ward was starting to look increasingly uncomfortable. Contrast that to Kovalev I where Sergei never really seemed to trouble him much after about the sixth and basically allowed Dre to dictate the pace in the second half.
            Excellent post. Green sent.

Originally posted by bowlingkid09 View Post
            1. Your first point is incredibly inaccurate (Froch has a better cumulative body of work; don't get me wrong).

2. I never saw Kovalev get badly outclassed by that same featherfist you mentioned.
            You never saw Kovalev get outclassed and behind on the cards like Froch either, Ward was possibly one round ahead at the time of stoppage and won the first fight by a solitary point. What were the Froch Ward scores again ?

Comment

Clearly Kovalev

Kovalev wouldn't have lost to Kessler...he would've knocked his head off

Comment

Given Sergey Kovalev's powerful jab and lethal right hand, he would put Carl Froch away by the 4th round.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
                  Kovalev still had plenty of good moments, sure, I personally gave him 10 and 12 for the win, but that doesn't change the fact the in the second half of the fight the tempo was much more to Ward's liking. Kovalev is an excellent fighter - I've been on that train since the Campillo win, but I'm still saying that Froch is the more resolute and tougher of the two.

Comment

No doubt, Carl Froch is the mentally tougher of the two. There's no question about that. I'm just saying, that skill wise; Sergey Kovalev is the overall better fighter.

Comment

Hard to say based just from the Ward fights. Both lost to Ward but Kovalev arguably beat Ward in the first fight. If he had been given the nod, that would of sealed it for Kov.
                      Without that win, i'd day Froch's body of work is better.

Comment

Working...
                      X