No announcement yet.

Gotti movie coming out next month

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    Someone told me Travolta was good in a very bad movie.

Rotten tomatoes gave it a "0" after 17 reviews.
    ouch.....

New York Daily News’ Stephen Whitty gives the film one star out of five, simply because Travolta appears to be “having fun,” but that doesn’t mean his performance is any less misguided. “Chewing on the scenery like it was a meatball hero, he swaggers around in shiny suits and silver wigs, barking orders.”

Comment

From the NY Post:

I’d rather wake up next to a severed horse head than ever watch “Gotti” again.
      The worst movie of the year so far, the long-awaited biopic about the Gambino crime boss’ rise from made man to top dog took four directors, 44 producers and eight years to make.
      It shows. The finished product belongs in a cement bucket at the bottom of the river.
      Keeping this mafioso mess alive throughout all the turmoil has been John Travolta, playing John Gotti. Travolta, who’s made a career out of Italian stereotypes, obviously thought the Dapper Don would be his Don Corleone. It’s his Chef Boy*ardee.
      In one scene, he yells “whatsamattayou?!” and slaps one of his minions. In another, after John “Junior” Gotti starts a bar fight where a guy winds up dead, Travolta screams, “You *c–ksucker! This is gonna ruin your life!” and again slaps him in the face.
      His performance is a leather-faced freak show. And the plot is nonsensical.
      see also

The real-life story of making 'Gotti' is crazier than the movie

The film bounces between 36 years of events seemingly at random and with the flimsiest of context. Call it “Whack to the Future.” We move from 1979 to 2009 to 1983 and back to 1979. We meet Frank DeCicco, *Angelo Ruggiero, Sammy Gravano and about a million more mobsters who we never learn anything — or care — about. We move from Massapequa to Little Italy to Queens but rarely see the same place twice.
      Just two events are clearly presented: The 1980 death of *12-year-old Frank Gotti by car and the shooting of Gambino boss Paul Castellano outside Sparks Steak House in 1985.
      The rest is an excuse for *Travolta to shmact and for his wife, Kelly Preston — playing Gotti’s wife, Victoria — to howl like Medea.
      As Junior, Spencer Rocco *Lofranco is OK. He, at least, thinks through his role instead of rabidly twitching like Travolta. But he’s also 25 and appears 17. While Junior’s being indicted in 2009, Lofranco looks like Macaulay Culkin’s parents forgot him in a courtroom.
      Kevin Connolly was the final director on this project, so he gets saddled with the blame. His flick is ham-handedly edited, stylistically incoherent and Travolta’s Hallmark-card narration is more confusing than helpful.

It’s the worst mob movie ever, but I see a bright future in midnight showings. “The Gotti Horror Picture Show.”

Comment

They've been sitting on this movie for a year & a half so I suspect it'll be a dumpster fire. I mean its not like this is an Avengers movie that they gotta do a ton of special effects on & sh^t. And its not like there are a lot of gangster films being released you wouldn't wanna step on or have step on you. Movie has a high probability of sucking just based upon knowing how long they've been sitting on it with the names involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          They've been sitting on this movie for a year & a half so I suspect it'll be a dumpster fire. I mean its not like this is an Avengers movie that they gotta do a ton of special effects on & sh^t. And its not like there are a lot of gangster films being released you wouldn't wanna step on or have step on you. Movie has a high probability of sucking just based upon knowing how long they've been sitting on it with the names involved.
          True dat. Other than special effects, only a movie being in developmental hell can justify taking long to be made and possibly still being good. As long as they don't change it too much. Like Freddy vs. Jason, which took 10 years after they did The Final Friday. Was pretty good, but would've been so much better if they hadn't messed with the original script so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
            No mob movie will ever top Goodfellas.
            Hell yeah. I love The Godfather, but love Goodfellas just a little more. Speaking of Goodfellas and John Gotti, in real life Tommy DeSimone's body was never found so his murder is still unsolved. John Gotti is rumored to have killed him:

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Hell yeah. I love The Godfather, but love Goodfellas just a little more. Speaking of Goodfellas and John Gotti, in real life Tommy DeSimone's body was never found so his murder is still unsolved. John Gotti is rumored to have killed him:

Love goodfellas and history buff! Always bothered me though that Martin Scorsese decided to just narrate the Lufthansa heist instead of actually having an actual scene. Come on it’s the biggest heist of the gang and the turning point in the movie but he just narrated it

Comment

It currently has a ZERO rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It is extremely hard for a mob movie, with a known movie star, to get a zero out of 100. Yet, Travolta pulled it off. Its been downhill for him ever since Pulp Fiction.

Hotel Artemis is the movie I wanna see. Was interested in Gotti, but the zero rating has me thinking its a waste of money and time.

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
                  Love goodfellas and history buff! Always bothered me though that Martin Scorsese decided to just narrate the Lufthansa heist instead of actually having an actual scene. Come on it’s the biggest heist of the gang and the turning point in the movie but he just narrated it
                  Good point, never thought of that. Did Scorcese ever mention anything about why he didn't show it in any interview or DVD extras? I imagine it was either some kind of budgetary limitation or that maybe he thought it was more important to focus on the aftermath of the heist. I loved hearing about the real story behind how the Air France heist happened in that video.

Comment

Mob movies seem to be the only movies left where a man can actually act like a man or be manly. That and film noir period pieces like Mob City mini series or LA Confidential, possibly cop movies. Everything else seems to involve emasculating men at some point, especially comedies.

Comment

Im so excited about this movie but havent got a chance to see it yet.

Im going to the early bird show tomorrow by myself. Im gonna be blown as fuk just chillin watching Gotti all by myself in a big theatre. Cant wait

Comment

Working...
                      X