Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious situation - need advice.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude you have enough qualifications to find a stable job. My friend did a BA in IR at DeMontfort Uni, graduated in July 2012 and his first 'proper' job last month. He's working for HMRC and working in Banking and Debt Management for them. He has no experience in that previously but they trained him for 3 weeks I THINK and now he is doing fine.

Have you ever thought of becoming a teacher? Ever tried applying to graduate schemes? I have seen a number of writing related schemes on Milkround.com (if you are from UK that is). There are government graduate schemes, civil service fast streams. Which would be great for you imo. Good salary especially for someone finding their first job (£25K), good job security (2 year contract iirc) and comfortable environment (office based).

Honestly, I would not recommend a PhD to ANYONE unless they are middle-aged, full-time employed and NEED it to move up the ladder or basically TO THE TOP. Ever tried speaking to a careers advisor? Checked sites like prospects.ac.uk for uk people that is.

I was in a kind of similar situation to you in that I had no real direction. I chose a pretty bull**** degree (BA Sociology/Criminology) which would not suffice to be a Social Worker/Detective/Police Officer/Work in Criminal Justice. Once I graduated last June, I did some research and basically Human Resources just seemed like the route for me. I had the grades for most graduates schemes (2:1) but the problem was they looked VERY challenging on paper for someone who no REAL HR experience. Like it required me to lead groups of people and guide them on what to do, it felt very overwhelming. I just didn't feel I was ready to delve into full-time work honestly and I also felt as though I needed some more knowledge and experience in the field. I looked at some options and found out that doing an MSc in Human Resource Management at a top uni would be great. I feel as though I have 1000% more knowledge than what I had in June regarding HR, I feel as though I am ready to step into the field of HR after this degree albeit starting off in a basic administrator role but I know where I want to end up eventually (HR Manager). I'm also getting a CIPD qualification with my MSc, so thats awesome because it enhances my job prospects.

Comment

Dude you have enough qualifications to find a stable job. My friend did a BA in IR at DeMontfort Uni, graduated in July 2012 and his first 'proper' job last month. He's working for HMRC and working in Banking and Debt Management for them. He has no experience in that previously but they trained him for 3 weeks I THINK and now he is doing fine.

Have you ever thought of becoming a teacher? Ever tried applying to graduate schemes? I have seen a number of writing related schemes on Milkround.com (if you are from UK that is). There are government graduate schemes, civil service fast streams. Which would be great for you imo. Good salary especially for someone finding their first job (£25K), good job security (2 year contract iirc) and comfortable environment (office based).

Honestly, I would not recommend a PhD to ANYONE unless they are middle-aged, full-time employed and NEED it to move up the ladder or basically TO THE TOP. Ever tried speaking to a careers advisor? Checked sites like prospects.ac.uk for uk people that is.

I was in a kind of similar situation to you in that I had no real direction. I chose a pretty bull**** degree (BA Sociology/Criminology) which would not suffice to be a Social Worker/Detective/Police Officer/Work in Criminal Justice. Once I graduated last June, I did some research and basically Human Resources just seemed like the route for me. I had the grades for most graduates schemes (2:1) but the problem was they looked VERY challenging on paper for someone who no REAL HR experience. Like it required me to lead groups of people and guide them on what to do, it felt very overwhelming. I just didn't feel I was ready to delve into full-time work honestly and I also felt as though I needed some more knowledge and experience in the field. I looked at some options and found out that doing an MSc in Human Resource Management at a top uni would be great. I feel as though I have 1000% more knowledge than what I had in June regarding HR, I feel as though I am ready to step into the field of HR after this degree albeit starting off in a basic administrator role but I know where I want to end up eventually (HR Manager). I'm also getting a CIPD qualification with my MSc, so thats awesome because it enhances my job prospects.

Comment

Yeah for me the time commitment is huge. I consider a 2nd MA but what and where is the question. I have been to so many advisers, always back at sq 1.

Comment

Just go on loads of career/job prospect sites on the web and see what interests you tbh. Look for graduate schemes too and keep on checking for jobs. Something will pop up man.

Comment

Working...
          X