Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there only 1 way to throw the Jab or the Hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's Freddie Roach teaching palm facing down as well.

That is the proper way to teach the hook when throwing it short and inside. He also talks about transferring of weight and how palm facing down generates more power.

Again, these are boxing 101.

Comment

^school......

Comment

Here is the reputable undefeated Floyd Mayweather scoring a KO with a Palms In Check Hook

Comment

At the :30sec mark Jose Luis Castillo(Black Belt) knocks down Diego Corrales with a flawlessly executed Palms Down Hook

Comment

9:15 The World Class Donaire sits Montiel Down with a Palms In Hook that was turned all the way over(ground up)

Comment

:41 The Heavyweight with the highest KO % in the history of heavyweight boxing Vitali Klitshko like to "Stir the Pot" as he uses it as a defensive tool and to set up his Right Hand

Comment

The easiest way for a young fighter to learn how to properly throw (pronate) his hook is to have the "elbow land" old school and effective. ALL punches need to be pronated! Ray

Comment

Anyways, the point is... if a Coach/Trainer is trying to box you in because of his limitations as a trainer, look for a new trainer.

"Limited Trainer = Limited Fighter" - Andrew Council

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    Actually it's the opposite, throwing with the palm face down makes it less of a slap, throwing with the palm facing yourself can seem like a slap or become a slap because fighters tend to "open" the hook causing a slap with it.

Most old school coaches teach palm down when in close on the hook. As the hook becomes longer then the palm starts facing you and the thumb comes up.

Here is boxing coach Kenny Weldon explaining it, he's an EXCELLENT coach and very well respected. He teaches proper boxing the way it should be taught. Very few are doing it like he is.

He even talks about how you come palm up when throwing the left hook to the body which is the way they teach it in Mexico and they know a little something about throwing left hooks in Mexico... Because it's almost like an uppercut to the liver, that's where you want to land that shot. Most coaches teach hitting to the kidney almost.

He also talks about weight distribution which is the most important thing in generating power on the hook, another thing most trainers don't teach. I'm surprised how we have gone to the fancy and flashy things in boxing and very few are teaching the proper and fundamental things in boxing like Kenny Weldon.
                    He's right when it's on the INSIDE you can do the palm down hook. I have a trainer who most would consider old school I suppose and I see a lot similarities in them rofl. When we're talking just punches, I usually assume we are talking from a distance, or after a 1-2 in most situations :P

In the Freddie Roach video he says setting it up after a 1-2. Most guys will miss if they don't step in on the hook. That doesn't mean you step in with every hook you have but if you're hitting the bag and going reps you'd step in and do palm down. I wouldn't go palm down without the step in. My left hook is my bread n butter. Roach is just on the bag, and its a basic instructional.
                    Last edited by Japanese Boxing; 11-01-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                      He's right when it's on the INSIDE you can do the palm down hook. I have a trainer who most would consider old school I suppose and I see a lot similarities in them rofl. When we're talking just punches, I usually assume we are talking from a distance, or after a 1-2 in most situations :P

In the Freddie Roach video he says setting it up after a 1-2. Most guys will miss if they don't step in on the hook. That doesn't mean you step in with every hook you have but if you're hitting the bag and going reps you'd step in and do palm down. I wouldn't go palm down without the step in. My left hook is my bread n butter. Roach is just on the bag, and its a basic instructional.
                      Yes you are correct, it was just assumed in this thread that one was better than the other. I posted the Weldon video because he explains how both are correct but it depends on distance because of the natural movement of the hand and arm.

When your close, palm down is more of a natural movement and palm open is better form distance. Again, my point was that even though the fancy, flashy things are nice to look at, boxing has changed very little in over 100 years for a reason, the fundamentals work.

I have walked in to gyms where "trainers" are teaching young and brand new fighters the philly shell and the roger mayweather mitts, before they even know how to step, move and pivot.

Everyone has their preference and style but like I said, I teach my kids the basics and drill them into them so they have something to fall back on and it's always relevant to actual boxing in the ring.
                      Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X