No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberto Duran

Probably my favorite boxer of all time, some people tend to underrate his achievements at times and underrate some of his more impressive wins. Heres a quick look over his career and who he beat.

-Ernesto Marcel-Duran KOed him at 130lbs, his first significant victory in his long career. Marcel would go on to become featherweight champ, beating none other than Alexis Arguello right before Arguello would go on his destructive reign
    -Hiroshi Kobayashi-Duran KOed him a mere 3 months after Kobayashi had been super featherweight champ
    -Ken Buchanan-One of the best Lightweights ever and reigning Lightweight champ, HOF
    -Hector Thompson-top 5 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at 135lbs
    -Guts Ishimatsu-future WBC titlist, would become champ 7 months after the Duran loss
    -Esteban DeJesus-future WBC titlist, #1 at Lightweight
    -Ray Lampkin-#1 win at Lightweight
    -Leoncio Ortiz-top 10 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at 135lbs
    -Saoul Mamby-future titlist at 140lbs
    -Lou Bizzaro-top 5 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at 135lbs
    -Vilomar Fernandez-top 5 at Lightweight, would beat ATG Alexis Arguello shorterly after
    -Edwin Viruetx2-top 3 at Lightweight
    -Esteban DeJesus-#1 at Lightweight
    -Monroe Brooks-top 5 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at WW
    -Carlos Palomino-former lineal champ, HOF, top 3 at WW
    -Joseph Nsubuga-top 10 at WW
    -Ray Leonard-at least top 15 ATG, arguably 2nd best ever WW, reigning lineal champ
    -Pipino Cuevas-HOF, but past prime
    -Davey Moore-top 3 at JMW, would go on to KO Benitez
    -Iran Barkley-top 3 at MW, had just KOed Thomas Hearns
    -Jorge Fernando Castro-top 5 at MW, Duran was 46 years old and fighting at 168lbs

His win over Leonard might be one of the best single wins in the history of boxing, all things considered.

He beat Ernesto Marcel in 1970 at 130 and went on to beat Jorge Castro in 1997 at 168.

I don't think people understand how crazy that is. I think that's just insane.

The man was an amazing fighter.

Comment

His wins over Moore and Barkley impress me the most, even more so than the first Leonard Fight.

Comment

Word on the street in NSB is that he's no different from Hatton.

Comment

Duran was a great fighter no doubt about that yet he failed in his prime against other great prime fighters Leonard, DeJesus, Hearns, Benitez & Hagler his wins over Castro, Moore, Barkley are good victories yet those three was not the No1 guy in that division at the time Duran won the title.

Comment

If anything, I find Duran to be over-rated, not under.
            Last edited by Wild Blue Yonda; 04-22-2011, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
              If anything, I find Duran to be over-rated, not under.
              Would you rate him in the Top 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                Would you rate him in the Top 10?
                Of what? A single division, or all-time?

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                  Duran was a great fighter no doubt about that yet he failed in his prime against other great prime fighters Leonard, DeJesus, Hearns, Benitez & Hagler his wins over Castro, Moore, Barkley are good victories yet those three was not the No1 guy in that division at the time Duran won the title.
                  Considering he beat DeJesus 2 out 3 and has a win over top-3 all-time Welter in Leonard that hardly qualifies as "failing". Your name-sake got the piss slapped out him every time HE stepped up: That's the defination of "failing".

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                    Of what? A single division, or all-time?
                    should be top 10 either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X