Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

training (heavy bag etc) with 16oz gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training (heavy bag etc) with 16oz gloves?

Basically the only gloves I own are a pair of small training gloves.

However, when I spar I'm usually using 16oz gloves which is obviously a lot different to the training gloves.
    So I thought maybe it would be better to use 16oz gloves all the time so that I can get used to the weight.

Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?

By the way, the only time I'm "fighting" is when I spar so there's no chance of using any kind of glove smaller than 140z

I see no problem. The only time I have issues is when I use gloves that are too small, because I hurt my hands and sometimes my wrists.

Comment

Training with 16 is the way to go, your arms become more used to it and become stronger, and than when wearing lower weight gloves they don't feel like anything is even on.

Your hand speed will feel so much faster and it's a nice boost to your confidence.

Comment

I train with 16oz gloves and I think it's great for conditioning and also to feel a little more natural when sparring.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking now of getting 20oz gloves- the bigger, the better right?

Then it should mean that 16oz gloves will feel very light

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
            Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking now of getting 20oz gloves- the bigger, the better right?

Then it should mean that 16oz gloves will feel very light
            I don't know about the bigger the better. Personally, I think the more similar you train to how you spar, the better.

20oz would be good for conditioning and if you're hitting an extremely heavy punching bag, it could add extra protection. However, if you're not hitting a very heavy punching bag, I think you might be compromising some hand strength and toughness development.

Comment

Just make sure you're not using the same gloves to spar that you're training with. Ideally you want two sets of gloves for training and sparring separately.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                Just make sure you're not using the same gloves to spar that you're training with. Ideally you want two sets of gloves for training and sparring separately.
                Yeah this. Don't want the padding to wear down too much then use the same pair for sparring and injure your sparring partner

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice everyone

Comment

Working...
                  X