No announcement yet.

Interesting piece on boxing in Sports Illustrated in 1993

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting piece on boxing in Sports Illustrated in 1993

Getting some stuff down from the attic I found some old Sports Illustrated's and I found one that had a picture of a young Felix Trinidad and a little article on the state of boxing. It said that boxing was in trouble then and diluted by all the title holders and that it was going to have to do something to stay relevant. Then it had a list of the title holders in 1993 and the 8 title holders in 1950. I also found an article one time from the 1950's talking about how boxing is a dying sport. Just goes to show you that it will probably always be talked about but boxing will never go anywhere. And looking at the list of title holders in 1993, I would say that boxing is in better shape now than in 1993.

Originally posted by Thornton Melon View Post
    Getting some stuff down from the attic I found some old Sports Illustrated's and I found one that had a picture of a young Felix Trinidad and a little article on the state of boxing. It said that boxing was in trouble then and diluted by all the title holders and that it was going to have to do something to stay relevant. Then it had a list of the title holders in 1993 and the 8 title holders in 1950. I also found an article one time from the 1950's talking about how boxing is a dying sport. Just goes to show you that it will probably always be talked about but boxing will never go anywhere. And looking at the list of title holders in 1993, I would say that boxing is in better shape now than in 1993.
    I read an article in Ring where an old timer was talking about the same thing. He basically said, "they've been saying boxing is dying for decades now, we're still here".

Comment

Originally posted by Thornton Melon View Post
      Homey, if Felix Trinidad was in SI (when normally it was DLH on other sports magazines) than you know boxing was/is alive and well!

Comment

Boxing isn't dying but it's not strong. A lot of people just don't watch it and the fights they do watch are disappointing.

Haye Wlad.

May Oscar.

Comment

Working...
        X