No announcement yet.

How Hard Was Robinson's Punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Hard Was Robinson's Punch?

I am going to give you ten middleweight punchers, you bold the one whose punch force you think is closest to Robinson's. No surprise factor because of speed, we are looking for pure force in this one. I will color the one(s) red I think punch harder than Robinson. You can do the same.

1 Sugar Ray Leonard
    2 Marvin Hagler
    3 Carlos Monzon
    4 Rocky Graziano
    5 Gerald McClellan
    6 Tony Zale
    7 GGG
    8 Barkley
    9 Stanley Ketchel
    10 Julian Jackson

Besides superceding everyone in almost every category, Robinson also out punches almost all middleweights in history for pure force. We do not know if his chin was really as good as Hagler's, but we know it was awful good. Not quite as good as Hagler's, though, I would personally judge, if that category were to be debated.

Someone--possibly our own Ecurb, for I have entirely forgotten-- gave a pretty good analysis of the force behind Robinson's punches and how he whips the arm at the last moment for additional impact.

Neither Barkley or Jackson has nearly the boxing acumen of Robinson--in other terms they would be way out-IQ'd in a match. Barkley was a beast of a puncher, though, and could flatten people. I do not feel sure he could punch harder than Robinson when you take away the speed factor which surprises and knocks fighters out, but his beastly, hairy body might well throw a single shot harder than Ray, which is why I put him in blue.

I already know who the more effective puncher is, effectiveness not being a function of power alone, and that Robinson's punches will flatten opponents more often than Barkley's because of that superiority in overall effectiveness, technique and speed. Still, the beast Barkley might indeed be able to coil up for a single shot stronger on the meter than Robby's best effort.

Feel free to change colors as well.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 04-22-2017, 12:39 AM.

It has said many times that Robinson had knockout power while he was dancing and moving. Which is rare because most humans need to plant their feet to get power. Now Robinson did lose some power moving up to middleweight but that is hard to measure when he was fighting guys like LaMotta(five times if memory serves me right)

Comment

Originally posted by tbear View Post
      it has said many times that robinson had knockout power while he was dancing and moving. Which is rare because most humans need to plant their feet to get power. Now robinson did lose some power moving up to middleweight but that is hard to measure when he was fighting guys like lamotta(five times if memory serves me right)
      u guys dont understand

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        u guys dont understand
        What doesn't he understand? Looks like a pretty straight forward observation to me.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          I am going to give you ten middleweight punchers, you bold the one whose punch force you think is closest to Robinson's. No surprise factor because of speed, we are looking for pure force in this one. I will color the one(s) red I think punch harder than Robinson. You can do the same.

1 Sugar Ray Leonard
          2 Marvin Hagler
          3 Carlos Monzon
          4 Rocky Graziano
          5 Gerald McClellan
          6 Tony Zale
          7 GGG
          8 Barkley
          9 Stanley Ketchel
          10 Julian Jackson

Besides superceding everyone in almost every category, Robinson also out punches almost all middleweights in history for pure force. We do not know if his chin was really as good as Hagler's, but we know it was awful good. Not quite as good as Hagler's, though, I would personally judge, if that category were to be debated.
          How do you know that?

Don't get me wrong, he was certainly a puncher at the weight but your statement is invalid unless proven via biomechanics and other such methods.

I will say that I think only Hagler, GGG and McClellan were harder punchers at the weight. Maybe Jackson. Actually, Eubank needs to get a serious shout in there. Before the Warson trauma he was probably the most dangerous mw out there.

Comment

Also wanted to add, in terms of fluidity of punches, he is one of the few guys who could put serious sauce on their punches while moving, the others being Ali and Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
              What doesn't he understand? Looks like a pretty straight forward observation to me.....
              thats where the lack of understanding occurred

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                How do you know that?

Don't get me wrong, he was certainly a puncher at the weight but your statement is invalid unless proven via biomechanics and other such methods.

I will say that I think only Hagler, GGG and McClellan were harder punchers at the weight. Maybe Jackson. Actually, Eubank needs to get a serious shout in there. Before the Warson trauma he was probably the most dangerous mw out there.
                Eubank?

He wasn't known as an exceptionally hard hitter was he? Certainly not on the level of Nigel Benn, for example.
                Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 04-22-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Eubank?

He wasn't known as an exceptionally hard hitter was he? Certainly not on the level of Nigel Benn, for example.
                  He was most definitely known as a hard hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    thats where the lack of understanding occurred
                    Elaborate please.....

Comment

Working...
                    X