No announcement yet.

How Amazon Paid $0 Federal Income Tax in 2018

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
    The biggest loophole when it comes to them avoiding paying taxes is reinvesting money that is profit back into the company. It's been available for a while and the big businesses all take advantage of it. In a way its necessary to incentivize our companies not to only stay home and not relocate somewhere else in the world but to also stay competitive.

Picture you own a construction company, your company makes X amount of dollars out of which you pay your 10 employees and yourself. After you pay everyone including yourself you still have money left over in your business account. Instead of letting that money sit there and get taxed at the end of the year, you use it to reinvest by say buying another truck or hiring another person. When tax season rolls around you can show that you put every penny back into the business and have no liquid therefore avoiding paying taxes.
    its not just big business all smart businesses do this. Hire a CPA and get together and explain your goals, pay quarterly and that gives you a chance to sit again with your cpa every quarter and re-asset and get back on track etc etc. Communication is key. Theirs tons of legal tricks loopholes etc available to you if you just match up with the right cpa.

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
      its not just big business all smart businesses do this. Hire a CPA and get together and explain your goals, pay quarterly and that gives you a chance to sit again with your cpa every quarter and re-asset and get back on track etc etc. Communication is key. Theirs tons of legal tricks loopholes etc available to you if you just match up with the right cpa.
      Exactly.

You hear superfans always talking about how "the rich have loopholes they use to not pay taxes" a lot.

Well that is sheer lunacy.

The tax laws apply to all taxpayers, not just rich people.

Any tax loopholes apply to all taxpayers, not just the rich.

Comment

Companies like Amazon should be paying their tax, no doubt about it. Like others have said though, blame the government for allowing them to do it.

Comment

it's called accounting and spending capital. amazon pays its entry level employees well. they are hiring and creating jobs. they created almost 150K new jobs in '17. that is unheard of.

amazon is a publicly traded company. people act like ten executives own the company. go pay 1827 USD and you can own 1 share. if the value of the stock goes up you'll pay taxes on the money you make when you sell it.

da loopholes doe
          da evil corporations doe

da company that provides a necessary service that you damn near couldn't live without, doe. one of da most innovative companies we've ever seen doe. changed your f#cking life doe. created a more intelligent way to buy things doe. a f#cking admirable company, doe.

f#cking clown ass mfers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
            Please don't turn this into an R vs D superfan argument.

The fact is the tax laws on our books were written, passed by, and signed into law by members of both parties.

To solely blame one party for any problems in our tax laws shows one is cheerleading, and thus not looking at the problem in an intellectually honest way.
            Lmfao, c'mon 1bad65...

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              Exactly.

You hear superfans always talking about how "the rich have loopholes they use to not pay taxes" a lot.

Well that is sheer lunacy.

The tax laws apply to all taxpayers, not just rich people.

Any tax loopholes apply to all taxpayers, not just the rich.

this post is not honest and it's probably just a product of you not knowing what you're talking about. as usual.

scale has an enormous influence on accounting. "loopholes" LUL. the speak of the ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Lmfao, c'mon 1bad65...

Well, he is supposedly new.

Gotta start them off right.

Thankfully a good percentage of the superfans ran off when the Mueller report was shown to be the nothing burger the thinking people on the forum told them it would be.

We certainly dont need those worthless superfans replaced by new worthless superfans.

Of course it could be an alt. The more rabid superfans seem to love those alts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  It would be nice if loopholes and laws that permit a company the size of Amazon to avoid paying certain taxes be closed and changed. This only makes regular working people have to contribute more.
                  Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                  Middle class barely pays their fair share. Maybe slightly less than their fair share.

Below them definitely does not pay their fair share.

Vast share of taxes are paid by the rich ppl.
                  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...tax-1523007001

The top 20% of the ppl in this country pay 87% of taxes.

87%.

The super rich top 1% pay almost half.

43%.

Spare me the regular working ppl paying more taxes bs.
                  Tua, do me a favor, see the underlined. I didn't make any statement about the rich paying taxes. I was talking about large companies and corporations.

Can you at least respond to that point.

Your post is correct, that the rich pay a lot of taxes, but that has nothing to do with my post about how much companies and corporations the size of Amazon pay.

As to your post-the top 1% own more wealth than the bottom 90% so not only should they pay more, they should pay about 44 times the tax of the average American given they earn about 44 times as much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    Tua, do me a favor, see the underlined. I didn't make any statement about the rich paying taxes. I was talking about large companies and corporations.

Can you at least respond to that point.

Your post is correct, that the rich pay a lot of taxes, but that has nothing to do with my post about how much companies and corporations the size of Amazon pay.

As to your post-the top 1% own more wealth than the bottom 90% so not only should they pay more, they should pay about 44 times the tax of the average American given they earn about 44 times as much.
                    There will always be loopholes

Especially with corporate taxes

With corporate taxes it's a balancing act of getting tax income and hurting tax income by taxing too much.

The main " loophole " everyone talks about with Amazon is using its profits to buy companies and expand to show less or no taxable profit.

Them expanding and spending money benefits the country as well. Remember they collect sales tax and payroll tax and other taxes not just corporate taxes.

I believe in a flat tax rate.

Adjustable tax rates based on income is bullshiet imo.

Shouldnt be legal.

Just because a person makes more money doesnt mean he should pay higher percentage.

Hes already paying more with the same percentage.

Look at it this way.

If I owned a store and charged customers different prices based on how rich they look, I'd have legal troubles ahead of me.

Ppl not paying taxes just because they make less while those who earn more pay more is unfair.

Only a flat tax rate for everyone, every income level is fair.

Cut out all these deductions too.

Comment

Middle class barely pays their fair share. Maybe slightly less than their fair share.

Below them definitely does not pay their fair share.

Vast share of taxes are paid by the rich ppl.
                      You really think Amazon should get away with paying $0 in taxes?

If the laws allow it then the laws should be changed.

Corporations aren't special. They should pay taxes based on how much income they generate. Just like everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                      X