Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Thurman vs. Porter be Boxing's Next Great Rivalry?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Thurman vs. Porter be Boxing's Next Great Rivalry?

Since Pacquiao/Marquez 4 ended with a bang I've been trying to predict what boxing's next great rivalry will be. It's difficult this day an age with the conservative matchmaking, protecting prospects, network and promotional barriers, etc. But Saturday night was a step in the right direction.

Both fighters have proven that they are not afraid to take Ls. The fight was close, entertaining, drew a good crowd and drew good ratings. The next step is to see if Porter can bounce back with a notable win and get a second crack maybe in a year or two. The question is whether Porter can tweak certain things to pull out the W.

Can this evolve into this generation's great rivalry or are there some other alternatives?

Why not, I think regardless of how many times they fight, it will always be close, they're evenly matched and perfect matching styles.

We're gonna see some great fights between Thurman, Porter, Brook, Spence, Danny, Vasquez etc

Comment

Hmmm, I don't really think so. As fun as it was, I don't really see these guys as good enough to pull of a rivalry on that level. Maybe that's being too harsh...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Hmmm, I don't really think so. As fun as it was, I don't really see these guys as good enough to pull of a rivalry on that level. Maybe that's being too harsh...
        Gatti and Ward weren't world beaters but still made a great rivalry

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          Gatti and Ward weren't world beaters but still made a great rivalry
          Thurman and Porter are less worn down than Gatti/Ward, so it's possible that they'll see each other again. Gatti/Ward also fought each other three consecutive times, which I don't think we'll ever see with Haymon's stable because it doesn't need to be that way.

Thurman vs. mandatory, then Brook
          Porter vs. tune-up, then Garcia
          Last edited by kiaba360; 06-27-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I think Thurman learned a great deal and will box more effectively in the rematch and win by a larger margin, maybe even a KO. Porter going to the hospital afterwards tells me he left a little in the ring.

I also think Haymon realizes he needs to change things up. If you do Thurman/Porter 2 next, cool. If not, Thurman should be unifying with either danny or brook, or (if this arum/haymon working togethr stuff is real) fighting tim bradley.

I don't think this gets to a trilogy unless Porter learns how to box more, which will be hard at this point in his career.

Comment

Porter seems kind of wild to me. Thurman demonstrated how to beat him, though he struggled some. Unless he changes up & refines, Porter's current style fizzles out soon against good boxers.

Comment

I think Thurman moves on.

He's already called out Danny Garcia, I expect he might want Brook too.

Great fight though.

Comment

Working...
                X