Herbie Hide handed shot at WBC cruiserweight title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbie Hide handed shot at WBC cruiserweight title

By Mike Sinclair

Hide, 37, who has dropped down to cruiserweight, has been nominated to fight the winner of Saturday night's World Boxing Council title fight between champion Giacobbe Fragomeni –a former David Haye victim – and Krzysztof Wlodarczyk in Milan.

Hide, from Norwich, had originally been matched with Matt Godfrey in a final eliminator but was given a straight shot when the American declined the fight scheduled for June 26 in Volklingen, Germany.

"Godfrey pulled out of the fight twice," said Hide, "This boy has been ducking me for more than half a year now. He is afraid of me – and I can't blame him for that."

Hide believes his power will make him a world champion again a decade after Klitschko ended his second reign as WBO heavyweight holder by knocking him out in two rounds in London.

"Remember that I have been knocking out heavyweights my whole life," Hide said. "In the cruiserweight division there is no one who is even fighting in my league. It will be easy for me to win the belt."
Working...
X