Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Smallest 16oz Sparring Gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put me down for another vote for the IMF's, best bang for your buck IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
      Nothing comical about my post - Like I said, I was asking for opinions because I know everyone I have spoke to in the boxing world disagree's with my experience. My experience is real though, I can tell the difference and I prefer to be hit by the 12 oz'ers in this case (due to design of gloves)

However, I have done some research and it seems there have been studies done on this. Which do seem to back up my theory (not conclusively).

Google:

INFLUENCES OF THE MASS OF BOXING GLOVES ON THE IMPACT FORCE OF A REAR HAND STRAIGHT PUNCH

Also, after doing a bit more thinking, it's clear that my experience is down to the design of this lads gloves (he's had about 5-6 different brands over the past few years). He tends to buy gloves that have little padding in the knuckle area. They are always 16 oz and say sparring gloves but for me sparring gloves should have extra padding in the knuckle area. Now he is using my son's 12 oz "proper" sparring gloves his power definitely doesn't feel the same - Fact. Like I say, I have done literally several hundred rounds with this lad and I can tell the difference.

Basically, most people seem to think that as long as the gloves are called "sparring" gloves and say 16 oz then they are acceptable and superior to lighter gloves.

This is not the case at all. I use 14 oz Top-ten and these really take the sting out punches. They are proper sparring gloves.

http://shop.topten-italia.com/en/kic...ing-gloves/391

These gloves in 10 / 12 oz would offer better protection for the sparring partner than MANY 16 oz so called sparring gloves.
      That's the thing , you have to make sure they are truly sparring gloves. Like I said, I don't think for one second that 12oz gloves are are safer than 16oz sparring gloves.

You just need to find the right glove and make sure you are protecting yourself or you're fighters.

There's a reason pro's use Winning 16 or 18oz gloves, getting hit with those gloves feels completely different than any other glove.

Comment

12oz gloves are safer for sparring than 16oz gloves?

I've heard it all...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          I've heard about this argument against the perceived safety of the headgear. The argument is that the headgear acts like "lever" in that it protrudes out and more susceptible to a punch moving that lever or catching it. In my experience the headgear kind of obstructs your peripheral vision and it's easier to hit someone wearing the head gear.
          Well the memo they sent me had something to do with the testing that was going on in Europe for over 5 years in amateur competition. I'm not sure of the physics behind it but they determined that LESS concussions happened without headgear than with.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            Well the memo they sent me had something to do with the testing that was going on in Europe for over 5 years in amateur competition. I'm not sure of the physics behind it but they determined that LESS concussions happened without headgear than with.
            What's your personal opinion? The argument that I've heard make sense and this study seems to back it up...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
              What's your personal opinion? The argument that I've heard make sense and this study seems to back it up...
              I really don't know, I take the study that USA boxing has done as well as what the European amateur boxing has done as well.

The only thing I see as a negative is the cuts the young boxers will suffer. You don't want to develop scar tissue at such a young age.

If it negates or at least cuts concussions down, I'm all for it and the science seems to make sense.

I personally have always thought about developing something where fighters could wear some sort of protection over the eyebrows to prevent cuts. Like some artificial skin or very small light headgear that only covers that area.

Comment

Working...
              X