Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Jerry Quarry tribute video got me in my feelings.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Jerry Quarry tribute video got me in my feelings.

What a fighter Jerry Quarry was. One of my favourites from before my time, a true warrior.

He was a great but undersized heavyweight who took on a prime shavers on and knocked him the f@ck out.If they had never fought and somebody did a prime vs prime poll up on him and shavers I bet 90% would have picked shavers by KO.He had a resume second to none and never got the Foreman fight he wanted even with Howard C. Lobbying Foreman on his behalf.

Comment

George Foreman never wanted to fight Jerry Quarry.
      Quarry style would’ve giving Big George Fits.
      George also has been Quoted countless times saying That Quarry was the best Heavyweight that was never champion.
      Quarry was very stubborn though.
      Many times he fought the wrong style fight. Example he boxes Eddie Machen instead of making it a brawl.
      Then in the Ellis fight he brawls and Jimmy boxes his ears off.
      I think Quarry was at his best toward the end of his career under the tutelage of Gil Clancy.
      You want to see a crazy ending YouTube the George Chuvalo fight.
      Chuvalo was a tough ombré.
      Quarry had some real good wins though. Shavers/ Mac Foster was a hell of a fighter, Buster Mathis/ Thad Spencer.
      Quarry was a honest fighter.
      You never got cheated when you sat down and watched Jerry Quarry climb through the ropes and duke it out.
      And that’s That

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
        George Foreman never wanted to fight Jerry Quarry.
        Quarry style would’ve giving Big George Fits.
        George also has been Quoted countless times saying That Quarry was the best Heavyweight that was never champion.
        Quarry was very stubborn though.
        Many times he fought the wrong style fight. Example he boxes Eddie Machen instead of making it a brawl.
        Then in the Ellis fight he brawls and Jimmy boxes his ears off.
        I think Quarry was at his best toward the end of his career under the tutelage of Gil Clancy.
        You want to see a crazy ending YouTube the George Chuvalo fight.
        Chuvalo was a tough ombré.
        Quarry had some real good wins though. Shavers/ Mac Foster was a hell of a fighter, Buster Mathis/ Thad Spencer.
        Quarry was a honest fighter.
        You never got cheated when you sat down and watched Jerry Quarry climb through the ropes and duke it out.
        And that’s That
        Don’t forget Ron Lyle who was rising up the rankings and undefeated when he lost to Quarry.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
          Don’t forget Ron Lyle who was rising up the rankings and undefeated when he lost to Quarry.
          My bad I forgot about the Lyle fight

Comment

The Epic of gilgamesh in ancient Sumeria pitted a good wise king against the wild man Enkido and later they became friends... The thing is Enkido the wild man ruled by his impulses is in some ways killed by the process of being civilized. When Gilgamesh laments his friend he realizes that his greatness was tied up with his mortality, his star burning bright, burning fast...

Quarry was always that fighter! had the experience, the impulsivity and the courage to carry it fourth. And the fact that it could not last, was part of the greatness of Quarry. But when too much was tried, when guidance was stifling, we were not seeing the same fighter. You can mold a jellow package! Jerry Quarry had every thing a fighting man needed, no molds needed.

Comment

Yeah, shame about Quarry, but when you lose the two biggest fights (to Ali) as well as two more to Frazier, the general public tends to forget the achievements that got him those chances.

He disappointed the casual fans who wouldn't be impressed with a 12 round decision over Lyle. What they wanted was to see him be the champ over Muhammad or Joe.

Catching Shavers early was tremendous.

Comment

Originally posted by smeck View Post
                Yeah, shame about Quarry, but when you lose the two biggest fights (to Ali) as well as two more to Frazier, the general public tends to forget the achievements that got him those chances.

He disappointed the casual fans who wouldn't be impressed with a 12 round decision over Lyle. What they wanted was to see him be the champ over Muhammad or Joe.

Catching Shavers early was tremendous.

Agree but a true fan of the sweet science would see Ali - Frazier as legendary champions.
                Quarry was a great contender.
                In a earlier era he would’ve defeated quite a few champions
                Braddock / Tunney / Dempsey / Jack Johnson / Patterson he defeated a couple times .
                More than likely he beats Liston as well.

Comment

True underated fighter in the most stacked era of heavyweights

Comment

The dude was legendary. He was like what you see in Conn, Fury, Walker and Greb... without the talent. Truly a deadgame fighter. Truly an inspiration.

I really believe that if the Cruiserweight division had been instated when he debuted, he would have made for one of the finest champions of his era.

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    The Epic of gilgamesh in ancient Sumeria pitted a good wise king against the wild man Enkido and later they became friends... The thing is Enkido the wild man ruled by his impulses is in some ways killed by the process of being civilized. When Gilgamesh laments his friend he realizes that his greatness was tied up with his mortality, his star burning bright, burning fast...

Quarry was always that fighter! had the experience, the impulsivity and the courage to carry it fourth. And the fact that it could not last, was part of the greatness of Quarry. But when too much was tried, when guidance was stifling, we were not seeing the same fighter. You can mold a jellow package! Jerry Quarry had every thing a fighting man needed, no molds needed.

These posts needed to be framed.

Comment

Working...
                    X