Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe calzaghe v Jeff Lacy- How great a win was it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red-Cyclone View Post
    Ward clinched through the entire super six tournament he never put on a showcase of talent that puts him out as what would be regarded as a world talent.

Clinched 88 times and headbutted constantly against Kessler
    Would have lost If the fight was referee'd fairly because Kessler is a good clean fighter who fights by the rules

Had a very hard close fight against a guy who really isn't that special in Carl Froch

Got schooled by Sergey Kovalev who was regarded as just a puncher but in that fight Kovalev exposed a lot of Ward's frailties when Ward isn't effectively holding, Kovalev used the Ward fight to prove that Ward wasn't that good and that it was Kovalev who was the real star.

Tbh Ward resume is overrated the same thing that happened with Ward i.e. you rating the people he beat much higher than they should be is what happened with Lacy but you likely don't remember that.

Oh I hate to burst your bubble but Calzaghe beat Kessler within the rules, fairly, Ward never did that so I'm afraid you'll have to retract your statement.
    Calzaghe is clearly more talented and classier than Ward is in the ring and outside of it also.
    Froch didn't give Andre a really close, hard fight. And Andre had a double fracture of his hand.

Kovalev schooled Andre? Ha! Come on now. For periods in the 2nd half of that fight, Kovalev looked bewildered.

Why is Joe classier than Andre outside of the ring?

How is he more talented?

I could never imagine Joe facing a guy like Kovalev when he was in his prime. This was a guy who clung on to a lightly regarded WBO belt for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      I was at the Johnson fight. So yes. I saw it. Haha. Yeah, ok. Anybody else would enjoy the fight but you turn it into a soap opera. You've got the issues, pal.
      So: You saw Roy get knocked out by Johnson in 2004, but you thought it was great the way Joe clowned Roy over 4 years LATER, AFTER he'd said Roy was shot?

Seriously?

Again, it was pathetic.

Why would anybody enjoy that?

Joe was nothing but a scavenger, feasting on a faded guy who he didn't want to fight when he was great.

It's you who's got issues.
      Last edited by robertzimmerman; 01-07-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
        So: You saw Roy get knocked out by Johnson in 2004, but you thought it was great the way Joe clowned Roy over 4 years LATER, AFTER he'd said Roy was shot?

Seriously?

Again, it was pathetic.

Why would anybody enjoy that?

Joe was nothing but a scavenger, feasting on a faded guy who he didn't want to fight when he was great.

It's you who's got issues.
        Yes, I saw Roy come out to his own rap music and then get knocked out. Haha. Come on. That's kind of funny in itself.

I just think you're taking this thing way too seriously. Joe didn't just clown with Roy. He did it with everybody. It's part of his game and anybody who gets in there can get clowned. Roy obviously didn't care and smiled in the third after Joe did it. It's really not a big deal. Hell, it's boxing which is a very harsh world. How about the guy Roy knocked out after having his hands behind his back? You think that guy wasn't embarrassed? A guy who clearly was not in Roy's league? That was okay? I mean, for me, I don't care. But to say Roy is some kind of angel and that Joe was a scavenger, come on. It's boxing. Brutal **** happens all the time. All the boxers know this and don't care.

Comment

Froch didn't give Andre a really close, hard fight. And Andre had a double fracture of his hand.

Kovalev schooled Andre? Ha! Come on now. For periods in the 2nd half of that fight, Kovalev looked bewildered.

Why is Joe classier than Andre outside of the ring?

How is he more talented?

I could never imagine Joe facing a guy like Kovalev when he was in his prime. This was a guy who clung on to a lightly regarded WBO belt for 10 years.
          I don't know if Joe is classier, but he does have a personality, which I often wonder about when it comes to Ward. The guy's as bland as vanilla ice cream on a white plate.

Comment

Yes, I saw Roy come out to his own rap music and then get knocked out. Haha. Come on. That's kind of funny in itself.

I just think you're taking this thing way too seriously. Joe didn't just clown with Roy. He did it with everybody. It's part of his game and anybody who gets in there can get clowned. Roy obviously didn't care and smiled in the third after Joe did it. It's really not a big deal. Hell, it's boxing which is a very harsh world. How about the guy Roy knocked out after having his hands behind his back? You think that guy wasn't embarrassed? A guy who clearly was not in Roy's league? That was okay? I mean, for me, I don't care. But to say Roy is some kind of angel and that Joe was a scavenger, come on. It's boxing. Brutal **** happens all the time. All the boxers know this and don't care.
            I don't mind showmanship. But I can't believe anyone would enjoy Joe's, not when he'd said Roy was shot in 2004, and again, especially as he'd never have fought him when he was great.

Nobody should praise that.

It's pointless taking it any further.

We'll move on.

Comment

I don't know if Joe is classier, but he does have a personality, which I often wonder about when it comes to Ward. The guy's as bland as vanilla ice cream on a white plate.
              I've heard that Joe is very arrogant.

Comment

I've heard that Joe is very arrogant.
                He never seemed that way in his post fight interviews, but of course, most of those guys have some what of a streak in them when they're on top. I can't hold that too much against him.

Comment

At the time it was a great win, but considering what Lacy accomplished after the fact I only see it as a good win. Zags is one of the best super middles ever. Had Lacy attained a higher status in boxing this win could be rated higher.

Comment

At the time it was a big win, mainly because the media was hyping up Jeff Lacey massively! Lacey's win against Robin Reid seemed to be his trademark fight, where his aura of intimidation was at his highest....

Jeff Lacey injured his shoulder in one of his fights after Calzaghe, and i believe this is what truly finished his career!
                    Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 01-07-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                      Not very good. I never understood the Lacy hype.
                      At the time he was being spoon fed and looked like a beast. I bought into the hype. Overall though his skills never translated to the next level. As I've already said, this was a good win for Joe, who was really still an unknown and hadn't beaten any serious threats. Certainly not a great win given would Lacy went on to accomplish. What's sad is people trying to up this fight as something great for Calzaghe. It's like trying to claim greatness for Cotto based on his wins over Maussa, Pinto, Abdullah or Torres. It just doesn't work that way. Zags comp was soft or old for the most part. That's just how it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X