Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know???? China is building LIFE SIZE copy of Manhattan? WTF!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
    I think it's more about aspiration and ideology driving trends than want to appear multicultural per say.
    Whilst America obviously has ties with many parts of the world due to immigration they do go beyond that in so much as naming conventions at the very least.
    It could be a case of inferiority complex, like some little white boy dressing up as a stereotypical black rapper. Or it could be an attempt to lure Westerners in with their money. Or it could be a genuine love they have of Western culture/architecture.

There are also a number of "little's" little Venice in California comes to mind.
    Well take Little Italy for example - that was set up by Italian immigrants. Recent Polish, Ukrainian & Russian immigrants have set up their own 'littles' in parts of Chicago & NY too. Chinatown too. They're called ethnic enclaves - they're set up by the immigrants, not by the natives.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
      It could be a case of inferiority complex, like some little white boy dressing up as a stereotypical black rapper. Or it could be an attempt to lure Westerners in with their money. Or it could be a genuine love they have of Western culture/architecture.

Well take Little Italy for example - that was set up by Italian immigrants. Recent Polish, Ukrainian & Russian immigrants have set up their own 'littles' in parts of Chicago & NY too. Chinatown too. They're called ethnic enclaves - they're set up by the immigrants, not by the natives.
      I think it's likely to be a mixture of all of the above.
      Other cultures have copied architecture brick for brick, the first example that comes to mind is Turkish baths. Obviously not on this scale but arguably because of resource issues.
      I take your point about them being built by immigrants but they didn't have to carry on these traditions.
      Anyway this all brings me back to my original point it's nothing knew really...

Comment

I think it's likely to be a mixture of all of the above.
        Other cultures have copied architecture brick for brick, the first example that comes to mind is Turkish baths. Obviously not on this scale but arguably because of resource issues.
        I take your point about them being built by immigrants but they didn't have to carry on these traditions.
        Anyway this all brings me back to my original point it's nothing knew really...
        I don't know what you mean by "they didn't have to carry on these traditions". Who didn't? And what do you mean by "carry on"? Are you saying they should now tear down all that architecture? The USA is a mix of different cultures. It's always been that way. Of course immigrants were always going to bring over their architectural traditions. Who'd expect any different?

You're not understanding that it's people of certain ethnicities injecting their architectural influences into the USA. The Italians created Little Italy, the French created the French quarter in New Orleans, the Irish created their own section in Boston, the Chinese did the same in virtually every major city in the USA. That's their culture, so they're not copying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
          I don't know what you mean by "they didn't have to carry on these traditions". Who didn't? And what do you mean by "carry on"? Are you saying they should now tear down all that architecture? The USA is a mix of different cultures. It's always been that way. Of course immigrants were always going to bring over their architectural traditions. Who'd expect any different?

You're not understanding that it's people of certain ethnicities injecting their architectural influences into the USA. The Italians created Little Italy, the French created the French quarter in New Orleans, the Irish created their own section in Boston, the Chinese did the same in virtually every major city in the USA. That's their culture, so they're not copying anything.
          I said I take your point about it being immigrants building in America. So clearly I do understand.

My point is not just America but other cultures & countries have copied many things not just buildings.
          So it's nothing new..
          This really isn't going anywhere you seem ardent on wanting to defend an off the cuff remark about America.

Comment

They have life-sized replicas of other large cities as well, namely Paris. They were supposed to be tourist spots but they never took off, but the way China's economy is set up is that their GDP is based mostly on construction projects, so they keep building massive skyscrapers and large-scale cities that end up mostly uninhabited so they project a higher GDP and appear to be a massive success to the outside world.

VICE did a great episode on it.

Comment

New York? More like Fu York.

Comment

Yet another showcase of the World's Gross Inequality.

There are slums in the world where millions of people and children live in toilets and garbage dumps stacked on top of each other every square mile.

And then there are some places in the world where entire empty Ghost cities are being built and nobody can afford to live in them.

You know what? Fuck Humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by - Righteous - View Post
                  Yet another showcase of the World's Gross Inequality.

There are slums in the world where millions of people and children live in toilets and garbage dumps stacked on top of each other every square mile.

And then there are some places in the world where entire empty Ghost cities are being built and nobody can afford to live in them.

You know what? Fuck Humanity.
                  Righteous, I usually don't agree or even comprehend your posts, but this post I agree with you.. Unfortunately human beings as a whole seem to be ignorant to the inequalities of the world..

Comment

This makes me laugh even more at people who think China will overtake the US someday. The **** they are doing is going to burst like you have never seen a bubble burst before.

Comment

film makers will be licking their chops on these "replica" cities. goodbye CGI...

Comment

Working...
                      X