No announcement yet.

could buster douglas been better ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could buster douglas been better ?

he apparently did not train consistanly did he have the tools to have a better carreer?

Let me put it this way: I don't think he ever would have been better than Tony Tucker and it showed in their fight.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      he apparently did not train consistanly did he have the tools to have a better carreer?
      He had the physical tools to be an all-time great. But, that's all moot when you're not a real fighter at heart.

Comment

Buster Douglas had tremendous attributes. Not just size and power either; the guy had a superb boxing brain, a great jab, excellent handspeed and threw some of the best combinations of any of the bigger heavyweights.

The problem was that he couldn't keep a consistent work ethic from fight to fight. He showed plenty of heart in the fights he prepared well for but just had low motivation.

Comment

I think he had chin issues too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Buster Douglas had tremendous attributes. Not just size and power either; the guy had a superb boxing brain, a great jab, excellent handspeed and threw some of the best combinations of any of the bigger heavyweights.

The problem was that he couldn't keep a consistent work ethic from fight to fight. He showed plenty of heart in the fights he prepared well for but just had low motivation.
            So kind of like Riddick Bowe?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              He had the physical tools to be an all-time great. But, that's all moot when you're not a real fighter at heart.
              I've read the same said of Michael Grant. Would you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                No I wouldn't agree. While he isn't a natural fighter, Grant has always showed a lot of heart.

Comment

Grant was ruined by Lennox.

Off Subject but interesting:

Michael Grant actually had the physical tools to be dominant for years.
                  In the camps leading up to Lewis.. he was improving in all areas and was working on a great jab. He is 6'8 and 245-250/ no body fat. Very very athletic .

This guy is actually bigger than Vitali and was improving daily. The issue is they threw him to Lennox in the hopes of creating a new American super star and Lewis literally destroyed him. Grant never recovered from that mental murder.

The same can be said of Golota and Tua.

Comment

So kind of like Riddick Bowe?
                    I put Bowe on a higher pedestal than Douglas. For all the criticism on these boards Bowe only lost the tightest of tight split decisions to a prime Holyfield with Manny Steward in his corner. He was usually in better shape than people gave him credit for. Buster Douglas genuinely lost fights he should have won.

The only time Bowe was in pretty bad shape was in the first fight with Golota. He was clearly overconfident and overweight; no one thought that a European heavyweight could be anything like world class back then. He paid for it! He was if anything overtrained, too light and weak for the return.....and judging by his slurred speach afterwards that was when he really should have retired. But he showed tremendous heart in that fight. Come to think of it, was there ever a time when Bowe didn't show great heart in a professional fight?

Comment

Working...
                    X