No announcement yet.

Rousy VS Carano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
    Everyone has different tastes, not saying mine is 'right' or anyone else's wrong, but for me I think it's great to see someone use one art to destroy everyone as she has. If it was just lay and pray that would be different, but I'd much rather see an elite striker keep things standing or an elite judoka do what she's done than see a jack-of-all trades fighter.

One thing that makes fights less exciting for me is when a fighter chooses his style based upon his opponent's weaknesses. If they're a grappler, keep it standing and strike. If their opponent is a striker they take them down. I can't fault them too much because this is their career and they're winning fair and square. But I prefer to see fighters who are going to look to strike no matter who they face, or look to take it to the ground and get a submission no matter who they face, fighters who perform based upon their strengths not someone else's weaknesses.
    That's a fair perspective, I just think Ronda using only 1 thing limits the fights shes in down to "avoid the arm bar" rather than "fight". also it's not like she is just some average Joan doing this she's a freaking Gold medalist so she's basically unstoppable when other girls don't have that level of skill to match her. So to me it's like she's doing what she knows is easy to do for her to win, had she FOUGHT Sarah Kaufman I promise you that fight would have been a much tougher fight for Ronda Win/Lose Or Draw

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Women's MMA is still new to major exposure. Someone will come along eventually and pose a challenge. It's early, Rousey is only 6 fights into her pro career, we'll see if she can keep winning and beating everyone at bantamweight for a while, she'll have proven herself. Hard to tell though for now, but Rousey's got potential. Let's see how she does first when someone can get past the first round with her.
      Its like womens boxing no one gives a fck and they never will,the only attraction is physical no one wants to watch ugly bias fight.

Comment

Even guys need to have good looks in any sport and personality. Those are almost always the ones that make the most money and get the most endorsements. A positive image helps as well. That's why a guy like Derek Jeter got more endorsements than, say, Albert Belle. You also have to be fairly exciting. That's why the NBA does way better than the WNBA, because most fans feel the WNBA is too slow paced and that most of them women playing there aren't much to look at. Ronda's good for the sport. She relishes playing the heel role in the buildups to her fights and seems good at it. I'm sure there will be some other cute, talented, girl next door type before we know it as well. Talent helps too. I like Julie Kedzie, man can she strike, but she's now more of a gatekeeper. Liked her announcing on Invicta as well. So yeah, an unattractive guy athlete can succeed more than an unattractive female one on skill alone, but an attractive athlete of either gender will always succeed more than an unattractive one.

And the only women's boxers I've ever cared about were Christy Martin, Laila Ali and Mia St. John but I'd be a bigger fan if it were televised more, like women's MMA is starting to be. Plus there's so many male fighters past and present I'm catching up on. And I don't think Ronda goes into any fight only thinking of using the arm bar. That's just her first attack, her Plan A, but I'm sure she has others she at least works on in training. There' always been fighters that have preferred attacks, whether it's certain punches boxers favor, certain strikes MMA strikers prefer to use or certain submissions. Gatti threw hooks in slugfests, Tyson liked hooks and uppercuts, Holmes jabs and right crosses, the Gracies usually favor the choke holds, Liddell liked throwing straight rights that opponents would walk into, Vitor liked quick combos in his prime and Ronda uses the arm bar. Mir's 5 of his 9 submission wins are from some kind of arm bar or arm lock as well. It's just how most fighters are, there's nothing wrong with that.

Most people will use what works until it stops working in any aspect of their life. That's what Ronda does in her fights. Judo throw into an arm bar, because it works. When it doesn't, we'll see how good she is in a real fight when she has to try something else and how her endurance is when she has to go past Round 1.
        Last edited by Anthony342; 09-28-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crillz View Post
          That's a fair perspective, I just think Ronda using only 1 thing limits the fights shes in down to "avoid the arm bar" rather than "fight". also it's not like she is just some average Joan doing this she's a freaking Gold medalist so she's basically unstoppable when other girls don't have that level of skill to match her. So to me it's like she's doing what she knows is easy to do for her to win, had she FOUGHT Sarah Kaufman I promise you that fight would have been a much tougher fight for Ronda Win/Lose Or Draw
          What a bizarre perspective. It's their career. They are all professional fighters. If they don't have her level of skill, it's because they haven't trained as hard and don't want it as much. Simple as that. Do you diss Mayweather winning (or Ray Leonard for winning gold and becoming a pro?) because his opponents don't have as much skill? So she should fight to the opponents strength and give them the advantage by giving up her own? Do you think the Gracie's should not use their Jiu Jitsu?

In the same respect, do you think strikers should give up their best punch or not use punches? What she does is fighting, pure and simple. She has broken her opponents arms. That's the same as a good striker getting a one punch KO. You use what you have to fight and win. That's what MMA is all about.

The whole point of MMA is to not be limited by one discipline or one particular mode of fighting...like boxing and kickboxing. If you want to see only striking, you watch boxing. MMA is about using all methods and the one that best suits your strengths. Rousey's throws, grappling and submissions far outweigh her striking, so that what she wins fights with. If her opponents can't defend or beat her, that's because she's just a better MMA fighter than them.

As for it making her fights easy....Every single fighter on earth tries to make the fight easy. They use whatever will make the fight as easy as possible for them to win, so saying she uses that stuff just because it will give her a win easier is both the stupidest thing I've ever heard and also the truest. Of course she uses what is going to make the fight easiest!!! That's what every MMA pro does! The best strikers don't use their strikes because they think it'll make the fight harder! They also want to make it as easy as possible and get the quickest stoppage they can.

How can you not respect what she does?
          Last edited by BennyST; 09-22-2012, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Carano is a moron, she could have stopped roided out cyborg but gave up the mount position for no reason.

Comment

Working...
            X