Great documentary. "The Spider's Web: Britain's Second Empire"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    will give this a go, was looking for a documentary to watch
    Share your thoughts about it afterwards. Pro or con.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Share your thoughts about it afterwards. Pro or con.
      yeah i liked it although some of it went over my head as i dont have much financial knowledge. i didnt have a clue about 'city of london' being seperate either and i live like 20 minutes from london

Comment

And you have guys on here who post about how colonialism ended and the victimized countries need to get over it and stand on their own two feet and blah blah blah.

Meanwhile the plundering never stopped. It's just being done secretly behind smoke and mirrors.

Although I will say that I don't blame most of the people of the U.S. or the UK for this...they don't know it's happening. The politicians they elect to represent them often get corrupted or threatened to keep things hushed up and to keep the system going.
        Yes. We got political freedom but not financial freedom.

This should bring a smile to your face:

Vulnerable to lawsuits? Have a wealth manager put your fortune into a Cook Islands asset-protection trust, as the Rothschilds and the less well-known wealthy families of the world have done. In effect, such trusts make these fortunes essentially immune from the application of inconvenient national laws. No litigant on earth has been able to break a Cook Islands trust, including the U.S. government, which has repeatedly been unable to collect on multi-million-dollar judgments against fraudsters convicted in federal court.

Comment

yeah i liked it although some of it went over my head as i dont have much financial knowledge. i didnt have a clue about 'city of london' being seperate either and i live like 20 minutes from london
          Damn shame, innit?
          They pull that sham straight in your face and you didnt even know.

Comment

One American I interviewed in Geneva told me of a group of his clients in Monaco who sincerely believed they were descended from the Pharoahs and were destined to inherit the earth; he said their utter boredom and decadence were such that their main sport was sleeping with each others’ wives. “I’ve told my colleagues,” he said, “if I ever become like our clients, just shoot me.” Another practitioner I spoke with, a graduate of Cambridge with a degree in history, said that he was deeply troubled by the ways the tax avoidance he facilitated contributed to the poverty of others in his clients’ home countries; he compensated by urging clients to donate to charity.
            One woman—who formerly worked for Greenpeace and came to wealth management only by following her boyfriend to Switzerland and taking a job in his father’s firm—was still new enough to the profession to be deeply shocked by the extent of privilege enjoyed by her clients, many of whom possessed fortunes rivaling the GDPs of whole countries. These people, she said, are “above nationality and laws.” Asked to give an example, she related the story of an in-person consultation with a client who seemed to have found a way to ignore the laws of multiple countries with no negative consequences. The client was so powerful that he was able to extend this immunity from the law to this wealth manager and her boss, at least for the duration of time they were working for him:

I had to fly outside Europe with the CEO of my company to meet a client. I had switched handbags and left my passport in the bag at home. The client had sent a limo to take us to the airport in Zurich, and a private plane to take us to him. So at the airport, I discovered I didn’t have my passport and told the CEO I had to go home to get it. He said, “Don’t worry about it.” I said, “But we’re leaving Europe; I need my passport.” And he said, “Really, you don’t need it; you don’t need to go home.” So I figured okay, if the CEO tells me twice not to go get my passport, I won’t press the issue, and if I get detained and stuck at the airport, so be it. So we get on the plane in Zurich, and no one checked our documents. And then when we arrived at the client’s location, and there was just a limo waiting to take us directly to him. Nobody asked for our passports, even when we returned to Switzerland on the client’s jet. The CEO was right. These people, our wealthiest clients, are above the law...It’s potentially very dangerous.
            https://www.theatlantic.com/business...gement/410842/

So I take it that anything that wealthy client wanted to smuggle on his plane would be done easily without the intervention of authorities.

But according to Sugar Adam Ali and his kind, I just being envious.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
              https://www.theatlantic.com/business...gement/410842/

So I take it that anything that wealthy client wanted to smuggle on his plane would be done easily without the intervention of authorities.

But according to Sugar Adam Ali and his kind, I just being envious.
              Shameful abuse of Stuart Syvret and they used the court system to do it.

To think some people look up to these people as honourable and hardworking people.

Comment

What part went over your head?

Comment

at David Cameron talking that rhetoric about good corporate governance but his dad was exposed in the Panama Papers leak. This must be a big inside joke to all of them.

JimRaynor - come and be taught now, Quashie. IT might go over your head as usual, though.

Sugar Adam Ali - comments?

Comment

One American I interviewed in Geneva told me of a group of his clients in Monaco who sincerely believed they were descended from the Pharoahs and were destined to inherit the earth; he said their utter boredom and decadence were such that their main sport was sleeping with each others’ wives. “I’ve told my colleagues,” he said, “if I ever become like our clients, just shoot me.”
                    The decadence doesn't stop there.

There was suspected sexual abuse of children by British government officials in Jersey and Guernsey, both major financial offshore centers.

And as you saw in the documentary the police will take sides against the whistleblowers and obstruct them, even harassing them during live interviews.

The Journalist Who Was Arrested for Investigating a Pedophile Orphanage
                    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ys-child-abuse
                    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-09-2018, 07:10 AM.

Comment

The decadence doesn't stop there.

There was suspected sexual abuse of children by British government officials in Jersey and Guernsey, both major financial offshore centers.

And as you saw in the documentary the police will take sides against the whistleblowers and obstruct them, even harassing them during live interviews.

The Journalist Who Was Arrested for Investigating a Pedophile Orphanage
                      https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ys-child-abuse
                      Good to see you, man.

I thought they had got you. You were off for a long time.

So 'Roll, how do you think we should combat these injustices?

Comment

Working...
                      X