No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 2 Remake made by a fan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
    No, the old inventory system is not a key element of the RE games. Atmosphere was. Pacing was. The soundtrack was. Jump scares were. Being outnumbered was. Choosing flight more often than fight was. The classic inventory system is something that just makes it feel, well...old.

You can do away with that and still produce a fantastic product if a new camera system is introduced.

If anything, the old inventory system is counter-productive to the overall product because one of the key RE elements was, as I will continue to trumpet, it's atmosphere. The old inventory system takes you out of that atmosphere pretty consistently due to the fact that you need to open it constantly to change weapons, reload weapons without emptying your current clip, use your lighter, select puzzle pieces to use, check your health, check your map, combine herbs, etc...

It worked in the mid and late 90s because there was still nothing on the console market as atmospheric as RE was, so have to pause constantly was still worth the effort. But the market has changed and there are far more visceral horror games and franchises available on both the console and PC market that allow you to micro-manage on the fly without having to take yourself out of the game every other minute.
    Bringer, you obviously know what you're talking about. You give several reasons as to why you have certain viewpoints and offer convincing arguments, an I agree with most of them. While many people are quick to let nostalgia fog their perception of what is a "good" game, they fail to see that some games, Resident Evil being one of them, do not work as smoothly as you remember several years later. A re-release, HD remaster, or remake hinge greatly on nostalgic feelings from fans that were around when it was originally released. Would I love to see RE2 remade? You bet I would. Do I think these types of games feel highly slow-paced after playing today's more modern games. Survival horror isn't dead, but they certainly don't play like Resident Evil 1-3 or Silent Hill 1-3 (with a lot of backtracking).

I'd love to see a remake regardless just to see if Capcom can pull it off. Til this day, I still consider REmake one of the best looking games to ever be released and is the sole reason for me buying a gamecube. When it came out, I only had a PS2 and I'd go over to a friend's house to play the game because he said that I'd be able to get through it quickly (since I knew the original by memory). What resulted was sheer astonishment at how gorgeous the game was in giving the mansion a virtual facelift while adding originality by adding new puzzles, changing the layout in some sections, adding new enemies, and even expanding the storyline by inserting Lisa Trevor. It was a great achievement because it wasn't merely aesthetic. The game was allowed gamers who had never experienced RE to know what te fuss was about while throwing in curveballs to keep veterans from tearing through the game based on prior experience. Whoever helmed te project was a genius. A decade later and REmake is STILL the epitome of what a remake should be. Hopefully REmake 2 can achieve that, regardless of whether or not the item system is changed. The camera angles never bothered me as they provided a cinematic and added to the atmosphere of the game. The item system DOES take away a little fear seeing as how you can just pull it up whenever you feel startled or need to plan your next move. However, to be fair, I suppose you can do that in all games to some extent or another; either going into a menu or pausing the game altogether.

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
    I enjoyed the castle part, and I enjoyed the start of the island, but after you defeat Krauser and enter that door where the helicopter helps you out, it gets very tedious.
    I thought it was a great game and it loses some of its appeal when you see Gatling gun-wielding ganado. I could understand the villagers wielding farm weapons, but when they decide to become quasi-soldiers, I lose my tolerance. The reason why the game still holds up very well in the end is because there are still many great parts, even towards the end. The U3 fight on the suspending container, the appearance of the regenerators, the amazing Krauser fight. Just terrific overall.

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
    I agree with you about reloading, but that's all. Like I said, we could have it both ways. It could be designed so that you can change weapons with 'R2' (if you're playing on Playstation - I don't know if R1 & R2 still exist on the PS4) and by going into the inventory. It would actually be advantageous at times to use the inventory to change weapons, if you were cornered and had to fight, changing weapons in game would allow your enemy to get closer to you, whilst changing weapons in the inventory would pause the game too, therefore giving you that extra moment to aim & fire, possibly preventing you from taking damage.

And you didn't need to constantly change weapons in RE. It wasn't an action game.

I completely disagree with you that the inventory would take you out of the atmosphere. We just see it differently. The RE atmosphere was always so powerful that simply pausing for a few moments to do something in the inventory did nothing to alter it (the music would still play during the inventory screen).

You could press a specific button to bring the map up, so that's not true. Where else would you go to combine herbs?? And how often did you need to use the lighter? lol

Neither is a new camera system needed. The camera system in the RE remake was the same and it still worked & felt great.
    You can't put two alternate versions of accessing weapons when one is more advantageous than the other. It makes the other one obsolete.

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
    If they remake RE2 they're gonna do what happened to the MGS1 remake on Gamecube..
    The MGS1 remake is not a bad GAME...but it came out as a remake, and only on the Gamecube (exactly like REmake), which naturally led to comparisons. In a direct comparison, however, REmake crushes Twin Snakes based on the reasons I posted above.

The voice acting was redone, and it wasn't as good as the original. Yes, voice acting changed in REmake as well, but it was improved considering the cheesy acting in the original. Another fault within Twin Snakes was how they turned Snake into a semi-god. In one example, Snake just fires a stinger missile and explodes a Hind D. It is an exaggeration in it and of itself, but we accept it. In Twin Snakes, the Hind D fires a missile, Snake jumps onto the missile, does a backflip off of it, then fires a stinger missile of his own and hits the Hind D before he lands back on the rooftop. What...the...fu$&?! It's corny for me to accept mind-reading anorexic KGB spy, a nuclear-equipped bi-pedal walking battle tank, a single man being sent to fight an elite military force, and a spy who will mimic his targets down to the blood type...but God forbid they put Snake
    Flipping off of a missile and countering with a stinger missile of his own. XD

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
      You can't put two alternate versions of accessing weapons when one is more advantageous than the other. It makes the other one obsolete.
      They can do it, because it's no big deal. It's a tiny detail that they'd add. It's like Fallout 3. You can assign different weapons to number keys, then press those numbers to choose your weapon. Or you can go into your Pip-boy (inventory) and choose your weapon.

Comment

As for the video itself, I'm honestly not that impressed.

RE2 was all about atmosphere and the addition of the "over the shoulder" camera setting really removes much of it's atmospheric qualities entirely. The police station didn't seem nearly as empty and eerie in that perspective as it originally did with RE2's (admittedly dated) camera system.

It just doesn't feel like a survival horror game to me at all in the supplied video. In fact, at times, it looked more like a shooting gallery to me. This is something that Capcom themselves are going to have to be aware of if they ever decide to remake any of the original RE entries - They need a new camera system that will be more useful than the original but without removing the sense of dread entirely.

Not an easy thing to do.

The dated inventory system has gotta go, too. Being unable to change weapons on the fly might've been fine for gaming in the mid and late 90s, but it's 2014 FFS, and this guy's just lifted the horrible inventory system from RE Code Veronica.

Props to him for taking the time and effort to undertake this task though, but as previously pointed out : He's an absolute fool if he thinks this game will ever get released or he'll see any profit from it whatsoever. Once Capcom finds out about this they may do as SEGA did and be like "yeah, we think it's awesome and we support the project because we love our fans."

But once it's actually a finished product they'll do just like SEGA did and threaten legal action which will result in the project never seeing the light of day.
        it's the exact same game, they just changed the camera angle and for the better.
        i was playing re1 the other day and its a nightmare to battle 2 enemies because you cant aim, so you're stuck killing one and are inevitable gonna get hit by the other, now you can shoot both at intervals to slow both down
        Also hunters, dogs etc were too fast for the old camera angle, at least now you will be able to see them when they decide to leap towards you

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          It took me a while to finally admit, as a huge fanboy of RE1-RE3 and never wanting to give props to RE4 and despite RE1-RE3 being classics that set a standard for SH, RE4 is Resident Evil in its prime. I think the greatest RE games are between RE Remake for GC and RE4. I never disliked RE4, I was liked the game, but I never wanted to give it too much props. I think it's a perfect mix of horror and action. The game is not perfect, it gets a little whacky in the end with the soldier ganados with the guns and rocket launchers. There are a lot things Capcom can take from RE REmake, some from RE4 first half of the game or 2/3 of the game like the sounds, settings, and some bosses and some elements of RE6(Leon's campaign).

RE5 is my guilty pleasure RE game, many old RE fans think it sucks but I enjoyed it as what it was, an RE action game that was not horror in the least bit.
          i disliked re4 because i was expecting a survival horror game not a third person shooter
          but i really enjoyed re5 because i knew what i was getting into, its probably my favorite game on ps3, just so much fun as co op, tons of enemies to kill

Comment

Originally posted by elgranluchadore View Post
            it's the exact same game, they just changed the camera angle and for the better.
            i was playing re1 the other day and its a nightmare to battle 2 enemies because you cant aim, so you're stuck killing one and are inevitable gonna get hit by the other, now you can shoot both at intervals to slow both down
            Also hunters, dogs etc were too fast for the old camera angle, at least now you will be able to see them when they decide to leap towards you
            You must be really **** at RE. I can complete that game barely taking any damage. You kill one, then make some more space between you & the other enemy, then kill him.

As for the hunters... one shot or two with the Magnum sorts them out (and you can just run past some of them anyway - you don't need to kill every enemy in the game). The dogs are easily taken out with the Beretta.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              If they remake RE2 they're gonna do what happened to the MGS1 remake on Gamecube..
              ...Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
                Bringer, you obviously know what you're talking about. You give several reasons as to why you have certain viewpoints and offer convincing arguments, an I agree with most of them. While many people are quick to let nostalgia fog their perception of what is a "good" game, they fail to see that some games, Resident Evil being one of them, do not work as smoothly as you remember several years later. A re-release, HD remaster, or remake hinge greatly on nostalgic feelings from fans that were around when it was originally released. Would I love to see RE2 remade? You bet I would. Do I think these types of games feel highly slow-paced after playing today's more modern games. Survival horror isn't dead, but they certainly don't play like Resident Evil 1-3 or Silent Hill 1-3 (with a lot of backtracking).

I'd love to see a remake regardless just to see if Capcom can pull it off. Til this day, I still consider REmake one of the best looking games to ever be released and is the sole reason for me buying a gamecube. When it came out, I only had a PS2 and I'd go over to a friend's house to play the game because he said that I'd be able to get through it quickly (since I knew the original by memory). What resulted was sheer astonishment at how gorgeous the game was in giving the mansion a virtual facelift while adding originality by adding new puzzles, changing the layout in some sections, adding new enemies, and even expanding the storyline by inserting Lisa Trevor. It was a great achievement because it wasn't merely aesthetic. The game was allowed gamers who had never experienced RE to know what te fuss was about while throwing in curveballs to keep veterans from tearing through the game based on prior experience. Whoever helmed te project was a genius. A decade later and REmake is STILL the epitome of what a remake should be. Hopefully REmake 2 can achieve that, regardless of whether or not the item system is changed. The camera angles never bothered me as they provided a cinematic and added to the atmosphere of the game. The item system DOES take away a little fear seeing as how you can just pull it up whenever you feel startled or need to plan your next move. However, to be fair, I suppose you can do that in all games to some extent or another; either going into a menu or pausing the game altogether.
                I wholeheartedly agree with this, 100%.

The REmake still stands as my favorite RE game ever for all of the reasons you point out, but unless Capcom can offer up something exactly like that but within the RE2 realm, I think the project is doomed to fail.

Why? Because if it's too much like the original (camera system, limited mobility, poor inventory system, etc...) it will feel dated and ****ty, appealing only to those who view games through their rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. On the other hand, if it's too modern and action oriented (like RE4, 5, and 6) it's going to be absolutely lambasted and rejected by fans for being yet another example of a developer ruining the memories of lifelong fans.

Unless Capcom can do exactly what they did with REmake, they're going to fail...and honestly, who in their right mind thinks they're capable of that at this point in time? They've done nothing but ****-up beloved franchises and make horrible business moves over the better part of the last decade.

Like I said, it's lose/lose and I'd rather not see it made at all at this point unless it's just an HD re-release on it's 20th anniversary with a slight facelift and nothing else.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with this, 100%.

The REmake still stands as my favorite RE game ever for all of the reasons you point out, but unless Capcom can offer up something exactly like that but within the RE2 realm, I think the project is doomed to fail.

Why? Because if it's too much like the original (camera system, limited mobility, poor inventory system, etc...) it will feel dated and ****ty, appealing only to those who view games through their rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. On the other hand, if it's too modern and action oriented (like RE4, 5, and 6) it's going to be absolutely lambasted and rejected by fans for being yet another example of a developer ruining the memories of lifelong fans.

Unless Capcom can do exactly what they did with REmake, they're going to fail...and honestly, who in their right mind thinks they're capable of that at this point in time? They've done nothing but ****-up beloved franchises and make horrible business moves over the better part of the last decade.

Like I said, it's lose/lose and I'd rather not see it made at all at this point unless it's just an HD re-release on it's 20th anniversary with a slight facelift and nothing else.
                  They set the bar really high for themselves by making REmake. It's a very hard act to follow.

If they wanted to take safe route (which is what you're suggesting), then they'll end up just pulling a Square Enix and re-release a classic with an HD makeover like they did with FFX/FFX-2.

Comment

Bump. New gameplay footage on opening post.

Comment

That's pretty awesome, but doubt it'll ever see a release. People have been wanting a remake of 2 ever since the GameCube release...and if they think people don't want survival horror they can just blame themselves for making the game a gamecube exclusive, and re0. I don't recall being bored with the formula, but they say that call of duty money out there and wanted a slice of that fan base and screwed themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X