No announcement yet.

Amir khan works the mitts in preparation for luis collazo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir khan works the mitts in preparation for luis collazo

Amir Khan working the mitts with Training Virgil Hunter in Preparation for Luis Collazo fight on May3rd.

Tell me your opinion guys do you think he has slowed down a lil bit? what about the improvements, do comment will really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXyaWqWlmQ

He hasn't really slowed down, it's just that Hunter is constantly turning him so he can't set and use full speed. One thing I'd try to correct is that he always throws a double jab which will become predictable during a fight and place him in positions to be countered. He needs to mix up that jab, throw singles, doubles and triples - not just always a double.

Comment

Originally posted by F!x View Post
      He hasn't really slowed down, it's just that Hunter is constantly turning him so he can't set and use full speed. One thing I'd try to correct is that he always throws a double jab which will become predictable during a fight and place him in positions to be countered. He needs to mix up that jab, throw singles, doubles and triples - not just always a double.
      I think it was just that they would have been working on the double jab.

It also seemed like he wasn't turning Khan to make himself reset or anything, but more to get him used to the southpaw stance and being able to keep his leg on the outside so he has the angles, not Collazo.

Comment

Yeah, he was making Khan walk and turn clockwise in order to get ready for lefthander Luis Collazo.

Comment

Watched Collazo VS Hatton again. Collazo definitely is a good fighter with nice body movement. A lot of hugging but actually a great fight when I look back. Hatton took some flush shots, and hit Collazo clean too.

I think Khan should learn to lean back and be patient at times. He always moves using his legs and his head is always straight. Too easy to predict.

Khan should expect hooks much like Danny so needs to learn to have a high guard and not be too attacking.

Comment

What I did notice was Virgil moving in one direction only (to Khan's right). Southpaws tend to like moving the other direction to the orthodox fighters left to blindside him and get a free shot. Watch Martinez as a good example. We only have limited footage so we may have missed Virgil moving the other way but it all seemed too much the same to me which is fine when working on drills but if fully integrated should be mixed up. The direction Virgil was moving in is the direction a southpaw does not like moving to his blindside but Collazo's footwork is better than Khan's and Collazo is more canny and intelligent in the ring so I don't see Khan dominating in this area. Speed is where Khan's advantage is and his old in out ambush MO is right for Collazo. if he gets too cute and clever for his own good Collazo could time him as he did with Ortiz.
            Khans footwork looks better but it would do at this slower tempo but the stance is still too wide which leads to power but also absorbing more of your opponents shots than you should.
            The jab is not as fast but has more on it. The left hook is still armsy he does not pivot his body enough with it to really load up on it. The longer the flurry the wider his stance gets at the end of the flurry,the wider the stance the less mobility you have and more vulnerable you are to be hit you become + the less you can take off and ride with your opponents shots. Collazo will capitalist on that it was that kind of move that Ortiz fell foul of when he walked into the hook.
            I did not see many straight right hands. Collazo has a habit of dropping his lead right arm and is open to a straight right over the top which Khan has never done really well. When Khan throws his jab the right elbow tends to flare out leaving him open to a counter. Overall his defense looks better but the longer the flurry the more he looks like the old Khan at the end. This is an indicator that although he is learning new things it is not fully integrated into his boxing DNA yet and the more ragged the fight gets the more he will fall into previous form.
            Overall he looks stronger at WW . Clearly Khan's strong suit is his jab and this is one area he is much better than Collazo and is why Virgil is working it so much.
            Last edited by Isaac Hunt; 03-25-2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
              What I did notice was Virgil moving in one direction only (to Khan's right). Southpaws tend to like moving the other direction to the orthodox fighters left to blindside him and get a free shot. Watch Martinez as a good example. We only have limited footage so we may have missed Virgil moving the other way but it all seemed too much the same to me which is fine when working on drills but if fully integrated should be mixed up. The direction Virgil was moving in is the direction a southpaw does not like moving to his blindside but Collazo's footwork is better than Khan's and Collazo is more canny and intelligent in the ring so I don't see Khan dominating in this area. Speed is where Khan's advantage is and his old in out ambush MO is right for Collazo. if he gets too cute and clever for his own good Collazo could time him as he did with Ortiz.
              Khans footwork looks better but it would do at this slower tempo but the stance is still too wide which leads to power but also absorbing more of your opponents shots than you should.
              The jab is not as fast but has more on it. The left hook is still armsy he does not pivot his body enough with it to really load up on it. The longer the flurry the wider his stance gets at the end of the flurry,the wider the stance the less mobility you have and more vulnerable you are to be hit you become + the less you can take off and ride with your opponents shots. Collazo will capitalist on that it was that kind of move that Ortiz fell foul of when he walked into the hook.
              I did not see many straight right hands. Collazo has a habit of dropping his lead right arm and is open to a straight right over the top which Khan has never done really well. When Khan throws his jab the right elbow tends to flare out leaving him open to a counter. Overall his defense looks better but the longer the flurry the more he looks like the old Khan at the end. This is an indicator that although he is learning new things it is not fully integrated into his boxing DNA yet and the more ragged the fight gets the more he will fall into previous form.
              Overall he looks stronger at WW . Clearly Khan's strong suit is his jab and this is one area he is much better than Collazo and is why Virgil is working it so much.
              Lead right is a good point. Hatton was hitting with lead rights quite a bit with pop too.

Comment

Hope he doesn't over-trains himself and look rusty and tired in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Uklad View Post
                  Hope he doesn't over-trains himself and look rusty and tired in the fight.
                  He won't overtrain if anything Hunter has made him more economical and less of a jack in the box. The ring rust concern has more to do with his inactivity than overtraining. He will be under a lot of pressure as undercard on the Mayweather show with a lot riding on it against a crafty opponent who is difficult to look good against.
                  His last 4 showings have not been great and have given him nothing to really feed his confidence off and painting himself into a corner while waiting for Mayweather can not have done his mind any good either. It is the inactivity and these factors combined with with taking on a crafty spoiler type opponent that could lead to ring rust showing. Changing his style under Hunter can only add to this.
                  He wll need to get off to a good start with Collazo and keep things flowing and moving and then I think he will be OK. But right now there are lots of intageables with Khan and it is difficult to see where he is at at this present time. He might be better ,he might be on the slide ,it is anyone's guess. If Collazo adopts spoiler messer tactics from the get go and gets on top early the doubts and ring rust are more likely to show.

Comment

Virgil Hunter- One of the best trainers in the biz.

All he can do is teach though, it's up to Khan to execute.

Comment

Working...
                    X