Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you define a "One-dimensional boxer"??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    The definition of a one-dimensional fighter shouldn't have multiple interpretations. It's literally in the phrase. One dimension. It's Frazier swarming and pounding with his left hook. It's Matthysse looking for his big bombs. It's Rigondeaux controlling distance and shooting the left. They have one way of fighting and won't change up no matter who they fight.

Calling Roy Jones one-dimensional is crazy.
    you've got it all wrong. Floyd's style from PBF to Post, take away offensive power and you have to resort to a different strategy.

being able to CHANGE your GAMEPLAN WITHIN the fight to win makes a fighter multi-dimensional. Styles come last. And styles aren't ''multi-dimensional'' if they are signature occurences.

You could say Lomachenko wasn't multi-dimensional because he couldn't finish off Salido given his cirumstances.

thus, don'T open a can of worms to say Toney is one-dimensional...

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
      hellls no!! Toney is a master class POCKET FIGHTER! Can dip out with shoulders, swerve inside fighting and hit, multiple one-hand body hitter, can pull counter strike all within the pocket. Takes a lot of guts and glory to be an inside fighter as such. Also, multiple weight classes...

you izzz joking!!
      Well exactly he fights well inside when a fighter stands infront of him and at his own pace.

That's the only time he does well when you box him he's lost and when you put the pace on him and force him to work he's easily outworked.

He's the epitome of a one dimensional fighter in my eyes and we saw it numerous times in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
        you've got it all wrong. Floyd's style from PBF to Post, take away offensive power and you have to resort to a different strategy.

being able to CHANGE your GAMEPLAN WITHIN the fight to win makes a fighter multi-dimensional. Styles come last. And styles aren't ''multi-dimensional'' if they are signature occurences.

You could say Lomachenko wasn't multi-dimensional because he couldn't finish off Salido given his cirumstances.

thus, don'T open a can of worms to say Toney is one-dimensional...
        I have literally never seen James Toney change his gameplan mid fight.

If he's losing a fight he just keeps trying the same thing over and over again which is get inside and land bombs. If you give him movement he finds it extremely hard to get into range because his footwork or foot speed isn't good and he struggles to cut off the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
          I remember Hopkins said a couple of years ago that Roy Jones jr was one-dimensional. Out of all the things you could say about Roy Jones, one-dimensional is certainly not one that comes to mind IMO. Lennox Lewis said Mike Tyson was a one-dimensional fighter, do you agreee with that?

To me Felix "Tito" Trinidad was a great one-dimensional fighter.

It seems like a lot of people (fans and fighters) have different opinions when it comes to how to define a one dimensional fighter.

How do you define it and name some fighters that are one-dimensional in your opinion.
          How I see it is simply someone that has a plan A and that is all. Their style really does'nt matter. Also does'nt mean you can't be highly succesful.

Some fighters today that pop out for me are Provo, Rios and Stevenson.

Comment

Kelly Pavlik. His repertoire was left jab, straight right hand.

Comment

Pavlik is a good call. A one dimensional fighter gets matched carefully with styles he can handle because he never changes. Until of course there's a mandatory, or a roadblock in the division that's kryptonite to that one style or the one dimensional fighter adheres to.

Pavlik
              Margarito
              Rios
              Tyson
              Kirkland
              Lemiuex
              Bute
              Abraham
              Santa Cruz
              Danny Garcia
              Maidana
              Just to name a few.

These types of fighter rarely (or never) switch up styles. They either wont, or cant adjust to the fighter in front of them. They will win or lose fighting the same way time and time again. You know exactly what they will do, every fight. Rinse and repeat, same style, same tactics, maybe little nuances from fight to fight. But you know what you'll get and how they'll fight every fight, regardless of opponent.
              Not a boxing guru, list is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                I'm a huge Trinidad fan and it's hard for me to agree with you on that. MY inner fan wants to say he wasn't. However, I think he was, but as you say he was a great one-dimensional fighter. There have been many. Joe Frazier I believe was one-dimensional but what does it matter? That guy was one of the best if not the best heavyweight swarmer of all time. What a beast.

Yori Boy Campas had two goals for every fight- hit them hard and eat every punch thrown. Definitely one dimensional, but hit like a mule.

I think Hagler was borderline. I mean, maybe not completely one-dimensional, but pretty close. He was best coming forward and stalking his opponents. He could box some as well, but I never thought he was very good at it. He would try though and that's why I'd say he's not. One dimensional guys don't seem to even try to branch out much.
                Hagler might be the best fighter ever at seamlessly switching between orthodox and southpaw. Not sure how he could even come close to this list.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
                  Pavlik is a good call. A one dimensional fighter gets matched carefully with styles he can handle because he never changes. Until of course there's a mandatory, or a roadblock in the division that's kryptonite to that one style or the one dimensional fighter adheres to.

Pavlik
                  Margarito
                  Rios
                  Tyson
                  Kirkland
                  Lemiuex
                  Bute
                  Abraham
                  Santa Cruz
                  Danny Garcia

Maidana
                  Just to name a few.

These types of fighter rarely (or never) switch up styles. They either wont, or cant adjust to the fighter in front of them. They will win or lose fighting the same way time and time again. You know exactly what they will do, every fight. Rinse and repeat, same style, same tactics, maybe little nuances from fight to fight. But you know what you'll get and how they'll fight every fight, regardless of opponent.
                  Not a boxing guru, list is just my opinion.
                  We just saw Santa Cruz change up in the Frampton fight though. And Danny has shown the ability to stalk as well as the counter effectively off the back foot (Guerrero, Judah).

Comment

I concur that there are always small nuances that are adjusted, but at the end of the day, you know what you're going to get 99.9% of the time. Just a note, Swift has always been a counter puncher, that's nothing new, he stalks and counters every fight. People think hes a stalker because he comes forward but he rarely leads, he counters damn near every time. As for Santa Cruz, he did make adjustments in the second fight. I'll give you that.

Comment

Fighters that can only box in one way/style only.

Comment

Working...
                      X