No announcement yet.

"I can't continue to love a sport that doesn't love me back." - Teddy Atlas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I can't continue to love a sport that doesn't love me back." - Teddy Atlas

I think I'm done fellas, just recently I went and watched a live boxing event at The Belasco Theater in LA. It was a Golden Boy event ameture boxing. For the first time ever I witnessed a judge rob a amateur boxer, Let that sink in.

Don't get it? Ametures are making a few hundred dollars at best that's if they're even getting paid, so what's the point of doing it. I thought about it so hard because this bothered me far more than any PPV boxing event that had a controversial ending. It really pissed me off that kid earned it and the damn judges took it from him.

So I kept asking myself why has it reached the purest form of boxing, to a level where it's not about money you do it because you love it. The only thing that I came up with is that boxing is suffering from the Trickle-Down Effect, (look it up) it's just the norm now.

It's very sad to say but we all know this to be a problem but we still shell out the dough to see someone's face smashed but the guy that gets his faced smashed wins. I guess we reap what we sow. We (the boxing fans) did it.

Gentlemen,
    it's been a pleasure.

Originally posted by Southpaw_nano View Post
    I think I'm done fellas, just recently I went and watched a live boxing event at The Belasco Theater in LA. It was a Golden Boy event ameture boxing. For the first time ever I witnessed a judge rob a amateur boxer, Let that sink in.

Don't get it? Ametures are making a few hundred dollars at best that's if they're even getting paid, so what's the point of doing it. I thought about it so hard because this bothered me far more than any PPV boxing event that had a controversial ending. It really pissed me off that kid earned it and the damn judges took it from him.

So I kept asking myself why has it reached the purest form of boxing, to a level where it's not about money you do it because you love it. The only thing that I came up with is that boxing is suffering from the Trickle-Down Effect, (look it up) it's just the norm now.

It's very sad to say but we all know this to be a problem but we still shell out the dough to see someone's face smashed but the guy that gets his faced smashed wins. I guess we reap what we sow. We (the boxing fans) did it.

Gentlemen,
    it's been a pleasure.
    Try to become a judge and help to fix the problem.

Comment

Thanks Teddy, now go and fight fires somewhere else you cranky bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
        Thanks Teddy, now go and fight fires somewhere else you cranky bastard.
        He did look like he was gonna have a heart attack that last time. Kinda felt guilty when I laughed.

Comment

Teddy I find you are sometimes way over the top but you have the guts to speak your mind. Your right boxing is corrupt. Instead of quitting why don't you approach some politicians and see if anything can be done to clean up the sport. Trump is a boxing fan maybe he will at least listen. The Nevada State Athletic Commission needs to be cleaned up, better testing for PEDs, enforcement of PED violations. Fighters that test positive should be suspended until they are cleared at the very least. Promotors that refuse to negotiate with other promotors because of personal animosity, or they want the opponent to sign with them if they win. Judges need to be scrutinized and held to a standard. It's a mess. Again, hold your temper in check dont give up and do something positive about this freaking mess called boxing.
          Last edited by TonyGe; 03-18-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

"For the first time ever I witnessed a judge rob a amateur boxer, Let that sink in."
            So in all of his years involved with boxing, and this is the FIRST TIME. So you saying you were just putting on an ACT after the pac/horn fight, because horn actually won the fight.....

Comment

How many fans EVER, and I mean EVER, thought the boxer you were rooting for at the beginning of the fight, fairly LOST a spit decision?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                Teddy I find you are sometimes way over the top but you have the guts to speak your mind. Your right boxing is corrupt. Instead of quitting why don't you approach some politicians and see if anything can be done to clean up the sport. Trump is a boxing fan maybe he will at least listen. The Nevada State Athletic Commission needs to be cleaned up, better testing for PEDs, enforcement of PED violations. Fighters that test positive should be suspended until they are cleared at the very least. Promotors that refuse to negotiate with other promotors because of personal animosity, or they want the opponent to sign with them if they win. Judges need to be scrutinized and held to a standard. Its a mess. Again hold your temper in check dont give up and do something positive about this freaking mess called boxing.
                I hope you don't believe I'm Teddy, just a 30yr old Hispanic dude that loves this sport even when it's unhealthy to do so. I just wanted a good tittle so I used that quote.
                Last edited by Southpaw_nano; 03-18-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen,
                  it's been a pleasure.
                  Yeah bro . It's tough when your 11 year old son loses his first fight. But get over it man. Catch that rematch at the next show .

Comment

I hope you don't believe I'm Teddy, just a 30yr old Hispanic dude that loves this sport even when it's unhealthy to do so. I just wanted a good tittle so I used that quote.
                    No I didn't think you were Teddy. It was a good title and a good post on your part..

Comment

Working...
                    X