No announcement yet.

Why Ali was not the greatest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Ali was not the greatest

I've done a lot of thinking about this. I've always appreciated Ali's enormous physical skills and ring generalship, but something has always held me back from proclaiming him the best ever. Now I realize that, in my opinion, Ali simply took too many fights "off." Maybe comparable to how Shaq approaches the game of basketball (shows up during the playoffs)? To me, this lackadaisacal tendancy is completely unacceptable. It is probably what nearly got him knocked out versus Henry Cooper (saved by Dundee's "rip"), and it is definitely what caused him to lose the heavyweight title to a 7-fight pro (a complete disgrace to himself, the sport, and the luster of the heavyweight title, regardless of the result of the rematch).
    While Michael Jordan may have had an off-night here and there, his committment every night was to play as hard as possible at all times. Sadly, Ali seemed to consider himself above that consistent, workmanlike approach. In my opinion, what George Foreman accomplished as a 40-plus-year-old fighter (actually able to seriously mix it up with some of the best in the division AND winning the title again...by KNOCKOUT!) makes him, to me, the best heavyweight champion ever.

Ali was not the greatest but the lowest i'll ever put him is number 2, only Joe Louis had as much claim as the greatest of all time, Foreman in his first reign has a short career that span 8 years from 69'-77', big george never even attempt to fight Larry Holmes, who was his same age, yes, Foreman's accomplishment in his 40s were impressive, but he took on a lot of tomato cans on his way to a title shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden80's View Post
      I've done a lot of thinking about this. I've always appreciated Ali's enormous physical skills and ring generalship, but something has always held me back from proclaiming him the best ever. Now I realize that, in my opinion, Ali simply took too many fights "off." Maybe comparable to how Shaq approaches the game of basketball (shows up during the playoffs)? To me, this lackadaisacal tendancy is completely unacceptable. It is probably what nearly got him knocked out versus Henry Cooper (saved by Dundee's "rip"), and it is definitely what caused him to lose the heavyweight title to a 7-fight pro (a complete disgrace to himself, the sport, and the luster of the heavyweight title, regardless of the result of the rematch).
      While Michael Jordan may have had an off-night here and there, his committment every night was to play as hard as possible at all times. Sadly, Ali seemed to consider himself above that consistent, workmanlike approach. In my opinion, what George Foreman accomplished as a 40-plus-year-old fighter (actually able to seriously mix it up with some of the best in the division AND winning the title again...by KNOCKOUT!) makes him, to me, the best heavyweight champion ever.
      George Foreman couldn't hold Muhammad Ali's jock strap.

Comment

two alts conversing

juyjuy anyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
          George Foreman couldn't hold Muhammad Ali's jock strap.
          you know foreman is not that far below ali in the all timerankings!

muhammad ali got old and fought longer than he should have in his prime he was the greatest

BTW i'm not a big ali fan i prefer frazier foreman dempsey etc but i still know ali was the greatest

Comment

No way should George Foreman be ranked ahead of Muhammad Ali.

Foreman faced handpicked opposition for his 2nd career except when it came to the title shots.

How many top ten HWs did he beat in his second career?

One? Two?

And I mean real top ten, not some terrible IBF ranking.

Foreman avoided the top HWs for most of his 2nd career, and got away with it because he was the "cute old teddy bear" and stuff like that.

Originally posted by Golden80's View Post
            and it is definitely what caused him to lose the heavyweight title to a 7-fight pro (a complete disgrace to himself, the sport, and the luster of the heavyweight title, regardless of the result of the rematch)
            A disgrace....you mean like how Foreman got stripped of his belts for avoiding a 36 year old Tony Tucker, got a gift against Alex Schulz, and paid bribes to the IBF???
            Last edited by Hydro; 12-19-2006, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Oh, and the reason Ali was not the greatest, well, there are a couple.

Ray Robinson
              Henry Armstrong

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro View Post

Ray Robinson
                Henry Armstrong
                [clap]
                [/clap]
                bravo meantioning Sugar Ray, and Armstrong. I agree those are two ahead of Ali Pound for Pound. He (Ali) is number 2 on my all time heavyweight, Louis being closely ahead. Ali is only number 10 in my P4P =/ . I do plan on revising it in afew days though, so that may change =) .

Comment

As I just said Ali is my number 2, hence I don't think he was the greatest. However I do list him ahead of Foreman because when Foreman came back he did fight "bums" for along time. When Ali was "around" that age he was fighting young fighters like Leon, and Holmes he might of lost but nonetheless he fought the good fight. I see that equal to Foremans second run. Don't get me wrong what Foreman did was amazing and worthy of future Boxing History praise. If this is a arguement of who is greater Ali or Foreman. Just think of who sent whom into a dark little hole of self doubt for 20 years? That being said I'll end with saying both men are true legends, and both are indeed "Great".

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro View Post

Ray Robinson
                    Henry Armstrong
                    you forgot Willie Pep

Comment

Working...
                    X