Nsb pick em 2019 discussion thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
    word

i think you should definitely do points since they hit the reset button on it......

literal you have to pay points in order to "play"

top 3 gets those points etc
    Definitely.
    And it would be more incentive to keep going in the piks or guys that do it once in a blue moon they won't join because it takes their points.
    It would help solve people picking each week plus it would be less work for the crew cause only the posters that play all year will want to pay.

Comment

What if this ran every 6 months? That way, people who missed some aren't screwed for the whole year?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        What if this ran every 6 months? That way, people who missed some aren't screwed for the whole year?
        We could use something like that. As things stand essentially the single biggest factor in getting to the top of the leaderboard is simply consistency... of the top 10 last year I don't think anyone missed more than 2 or 3 and most had only missed 1 or none. Dudes who miss more than 4 or 5 picks are effectively out of the running and quite a few simply drop out after a few missed picks so it'd be good if we could address that in some way.

I've mentioned before I'm gonna figure out some notification system, whether it's signing everyone up to a Pick 'em Social group or something else I ain't figured yet, but that should help some with making sure as many people as possible get their picks in.

Ummm. I think there's something special about having it a year long annual event, but maybe we have half-yearly or quarterly winners too... for those in the sweepstakes maybe smaller payouts at the same interval.

Logisitically I'll have to give that some thought cos all quarters past the first would require additional bookeeping, but if I can find a way to do it without too much extra work I think it's a winner. Also I'll try to find some way of emphasising accurate picking over simple volume. The change to 20/10/10 should already go some way towards that of course, but I'm sure there's other things we could do.

EDIT: Yeah. Course, we could do 4 seperate quarters and then total the points for the whole year at the end of the year to come up with an annual winner. That should be manageable. Definitely another solid idea to run past the players.. though we need to decide sooner rather than later cos we'd have to think about the impact it'd have on the use of multipliers and whether we need to rejig the numbers there.

Cheers Redd - and while we're on the subject, I'm noticing you ain't got a pick in for Uzcategui - Plant yet!

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
          I wouldn't mess around with all the points crap - like 5 people know how to use them or give a crap about them.

I do think the scoring system needs to be expanded a bit. DuckAdonis made a great example - current scoring only rewards you if you pick the correct winner. If you think it's gonna be a close fight but not sure who wins, it shouldn't all depend on you guessing correctly who judges will go with.

Maybe something like:
          If you pick KO, picking correct fighter = 20 pts, method (1-4, 5-8, 9-12) 10 pts
          If you pick Wide, correct fighter = 20, method 10 pts
          If you pick close Close, correct fighter = 10, method 20.
          The points thing is gonna be voluntary participation only I think. Like you say some people use em a bit but most don't really care. Hell, I've been here 5 years and I musta used em twice (and once was last week).

With the scoring system that kinda thing was roughly what I meant when I responded to Duck's post saying I wasn't quite sure what system we'd use. Honestly yours is about as good a system as you could get I think... changing the priority for close decisions to Method/ Detail / Result, but it still strikes me as kinda unwieldy and adds an additional chance of errors when we tot up the scores

I get the point being made, and I'd like to figure some way of dealing with it, but I'm not sure that is it. I'll think on it some more though, see if there's maybe some other option that achieves a similar result.

Comment

Weird. I wrote another reply to this thread last night, went back and proof-read it after posting, and now it's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Weird. I wrote another reply to this thread last night, went back and proof-read it after posting, and now it's gone.
              Was it a reply to my post? I ain't had any notifications of quotes from you.

What you thinking to having quarterly winners and then an overall winner for the year? I ain't saying it'll happen this time round but I'm gonna keep raising the ideas I think should improve the game and see if I can get more people interested.

Comment

I like the 20-10-10 point system. It values picking the right winner and rewards perfect picks. 20-5-10(5 bonus point included in detail for the perfect pick) can also work.

I think to solve the "missing pick problem" we can have a default choice of picking the favorite, but you only get the points for the winner and not the method or detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Oluminati View Post
                  I like the 20-10-10 point system. It values picking the right winner and rewards perfect picks. 20-5-10(5 bonus point included in detail for the perfect pick) can also work.

I think to solve the "missing pick problem" we can have a default choice of picking the favorite, but you only get the points for the winner and not the method or detail.
                  You talking about when folk just miss the fight, cos they're away or get the date wrong or whatever? First thought was 'what the hell?' but on a second reflection it's maybe not such an awful idea... would help keep players in the mix even if they miss a couple through mistake or unavoidable circumstance. We're already looking at planning a lil further ahead this year, so it should be possible for guys who know they ain't gonna be around to make advance picks (as we did for 'Pandas last summer), but that's a slightly different situation.

Be a balance though - firstly I ain't gonna be scoring every player every week even if they just made one pick at the start of the year - there'd have to be some kinda of rule about it being regular players only. Second I ain't sure the guys who make sure they turn in a pick every week are gonna be to happy about other guys getting credit for doing nothing. It's an idea that does warrant further thought though, cos like I said earlier you can't really blame the guys who just drop out after missing a few picks.

Comment

Putting the fights up earlier would help with people missing picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                      Putting the fights up earlier would help with people missing picks.
                      That is definitely the aim for this year, man. Mainly it's down to my lazy ass when stuff goes up late, but with the enthusiastic new team of NC Uppercut and otrocubiche we should hopefully get things moving a bit faster.

We're trying to put a coupla other things in place to help make sure people don't miss out too, and we're also trying to think of ways of keeping people interested even when maybe they miss a few.

We've already made a few moves to looking ahead a bit as well and we're intending to poll the players on potential upcoming fights to get a feel for which ones players want to see in the Pick Em. Hopefully we get up at least a partial schedule of likely Pick ams for Jan, Feb and March within the next week or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X