No announcement yet.

No weight transfer on straight right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No weight transfer on straight right

Saw a new trainer who I really liked however he has me keeping more weight on my back foot and when i throw a straight right I'm supposed to keep weight on back foot and not lean into the punch. But that's all I see in videos of pros. And that's why everyone says I have a lot of power. However when I throw his way and keep my torso straight up my punches have no power comparable to the other way. So confused, am I missing something?
    Last edited by KingAtom; 01-13-2018, 11:05 AM.

Originally posted by KingAtom View Post
    Saw a new trainer who I really liked however he has me keeping more weight on my back foot and when i throw a straight right I'm supposed to keep weight on back foot and not lean into the punch. But that's all I see in videos of pros. And that's why everyone says I have a lot of power. However when I throw his way and keep my torso straight up my punches have no power comparable to the other way. So confused, am I missing something?
    Did you voice your concerns to the trainer about the lack of power issue?

Comment

Actually my trainer was telling me the same thing today- don't put your weight on the lead foot because you shouldn't be leaning into the punch.

I assume it's correct!

Comment

The reason pro's lean is because the opponent is never in the ideal spot like the heavy bag is!
        For the straight right, train by keeping your head right above your hips and focus on the rotation of the shoulders. When you're doing the right things with the shoulders, the hips follow, as does the weight transfer.

BTW, if you have no weight on the lead foot after the straight right, how the hell are you going to throw a hook afterward? The REASON the left hook often follows the right is that your left leg is loaded and ready to thrust that power into your left hook, coupled with the return rotation of the shoulders. It's all physics.
        Last edited by Redd Foxx; 01-13-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

He said I would end up with more power once I got it down right. Kept getting on me about making the bag move when I hit it. Seemed impossible to do. He said all the power is in the rotation which I know but seemed weak without leaning into the punch. I'm assuming he's trying to teach me not to push the bag with the punch.

He also said leaning will put your head where it can be punched easier.

But I don't understand how this will translate in a real fight when as said above, the opponent won't stand still. He did say this was in the pocket, no moving...if that makes a difference? But he did say the inside was different than in the pocket.
          Last edited by KingAtom; 01-13-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            The reason pro's lean is because the opponent is never in the ideal spot like the heavy bag is!
            For the straight right, train by keeping your head right above your hips and focus on the rotation of the shoulders. When you're doing the right things with the shoulders, the hips follow, as does the weight transfer.

BTW, if you have no weight on the lead foot after the straight right, how the hell are you going to throw a hook afterward? The REASON the left hook often follows the right is that your left leg is loaded and ready to thrust that power into your left hook, coupled with the return rotation of the shoulders. It's all physics.
            He said 60% on the rear, 40% on lead. I didn't mean to imply all the weight is on the back, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

He said 60% on the rear, 40% on lead. I didn't mean to imply all the weight is on the back, sorry for the misunderstanding.
              That's a bit conservative, IMO, but the general idea is right. You want some transfer, but not all as to be off balance. When you are getting the proper alignment, rotation, and overall form, the weight transfer takes care of itself. Overthinking it will mess up your form. When you're hitting it right, you'll feel a combination of power and balance.

Comment

When you throw the right hand are you "putting out the cigarette" with your right foot?

Meaning are you rotating it?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  When you throw the right hand are you "putting out the cigarette" with your right foot?

Meaning are you rotating it?
                  Yes. I've been working through it slowly, then with more speed. It's starting to feel more natural and strong. The thing making it feel weak is cause I was leaning forward and to the left before which made it feel like a harder punch and now I'm staying totally upright.

The other thing I realized is he had me punching higher on the bag and there's not as much mass towards the top as below there so it feels like I'm punching air.

Comment

Yes. I've been working through it slowly, then with more speed. It's starting to feel more natural and strong. The thing making it feel weak is cause I was leaning forward and to the left before which made it feel like a harder punch and now I'm staying totally upright.

The other thing I realized is he had me punching higher on the bag and there's not as much mass towards the top as below there so it feels like I'm punching air.
                    Has it gotten better by not punching that high on the bag?

Comment

Working...
                    X