Brain Damage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain Damage

Hi guys, new member here.

I've been doing boxing training for a few months and will probably start sparring properly from the summer (done body sparring and very light sparring so far).

I'm off to uni this autumn and would like to box for my uni. I would only be boxing for three years and will probably stop boxing after I graduate (as by then I would have learned the fundamentals and hopefully have a decent self-defence).

Basically, given the negative stigma and recent death of Scott Westgarth, I'm worried about the long-term consequences of boxing on the brain. As I am hoping to be a lawyer, I need my brain functioning as well as possible!

Do you think I should consider boxing at uni, even though it would only be for three years (spar once or twice a week), given the side effects on the brain? I would look to compete in a few bouts for my uni. I love boxing but want to stay mentally sharp!

This should be in training and nutrition. And in subject it's nearly impossible to say. We're all bui!t differently and are body's will never react the same as others. Training, your anatomy, nearly everything is a variable. And their will always be freak accidents in anything you do, if you love it enough it won't matter. If your doing this just for fun maybe this isn't the right choice, but who am I to say. Try it out and see how you take to it

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
      This should be in training and nutrition. And in subject it's nearly impossible to say. We're all bui!t differently and are body's will never react the same as others. Training, your anatomy, nearly everything is a variable. And their will always be freak accidents in anything you do, if you love it enough it won't matter. If your doing this just for fun maybe this isn't the right choice, but who am I to say. Try it out and see how you take to it
      Thanks very much for your reply. I will post it in that forum now.

I am doing it mostly for the self-defence aspect, and feel like if I can get in a ring and stay calm then I can stay calm and confident in most other situations. I see boxing as a life skill!

Comment

there are plenty of people here with brain damage who never got in a fight so you will be OK

Comment

just keep your hands up my boy, you'll be straight.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
            there are plenty of people here with brain damage who never got in a fight so you will be OK
            Like Trump supporters

Comment

Originally posted by oli19919 View Post
              Hi guys, new member here.

I've been doing boxing training for a few months and will probably start sparring properly from the summer (done body sparring and very light sparring so far).

I'm off to uni this autumn and would like to box for my uni. I would only be boxing for three years and will probably stop boxing after I graduate (as by then I would have learned the fundamentals and hopefully have a decent self-defence).

Basically, given the negative stigma and recent death of Scott Westgarth, I'm worried about the long-term consequences of boxing on the brain. As I am hoping to be a lawyer, I need my brain functioning as well as possible!

Do you think I should consider boxing at uni, even though it would only be for three years (spar once or twice a week), given the side effects on the brain? I would look to compete in a few bouts for my uni. I love boxing but want to stay mentally sharp!
              I think its a good idea and just doing a few Ams fights should do you no harm.But there is no guarantee as boxing sometimes all it takes is 1 shot and some people are predisposed to being hurt.But if you look at the numbers in Am boxing its safer then some others sports in the short run.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonPitbull View Post
                Like Trump supporters
                Yup there brain dead already.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post

Comment

Originally posted by BostonPitbull View Post
                    Like Trump supporters
                    no like bostonpitbullshi t ters

Comment

Working...
                    X