No announcement yet.

UFC and Weight Cutting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC and Weight Cutting

The main event of UFC 215 has been cancelled two days ahead of the scheduled bout, due to an illness that Ray Borg's team claims is unrelated to his weight cut. However, journalist Ariel Helwani's article includes some interesting info. Via MMAfighting.com:

“It wasn't weight related,” Borg’s nutritionist Dr. Michelle Ingels of Perfecting Athletes told MMA Fighting. “Ray has been getting progressively more sick each day this week and still wanted to fight so badly that he put on a game face and went to all of his fight week obligations. “However, prior to beginning the bulk of his weight cut the UFC doctor examined Borg and concluded that he was too ill to fight this week and needed time to rest and get better.”

Earlier on Thursday, Borg told MMA Fighting he had eight more pounds to cut before Friday morning’s weigh-in.

“That’s amazing for me,”
    he said.

8 pounds over 1 day before the weigh in! (for a 125 lb fighter no less) and he considers that "amazing."

Does UFC need to institute weight checks similar to the WBC, 30 days and 7 days prior to a bout, with percentage of the contracted weight limitations at those weigh ins?

No, the UFC needs to have a 1 strike rule. If a fighter misses weight ONCE or has crazy health problems cutting weight(like Borg's situation), then move them up one weight class permanentley.

Too many fighters are missing weight multiple times. It doesn't make sense that UFC keeps giving these guys chances again and again to make the same weight.

Comment

This is becoming more and more common with the UFC, fighters pulling out of bouts a day before.

Comment

California is leading the way with weight cutting rules. The sooner more states & countries start adopted these types of rules & beyond the better & safer the sport will be.

Personally I think there are ways to control weight gain/loss beyond what they are currently doing & I'd like to see walking around weights become the actual fighting weight to get rid of all this bs of a sport within a sport of cutting weight.

Comment

Working...
        X