No announcement yet.

Violation of fourth amendment?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violation of fourth amendment?

This isn't a conspiracy theory, so no need for your jimmies to be rustled. Its a legit question, simply asking for each's opinion on their interpretation.

Do you think the forced SWAT raids of everybody in selected neighborhoods violated the fourth amendment? Comes down to your interpretation of 'reasonable/unreasonable', so what say you.

Seems to be a pretty slippery slope, where is the line drawn? I.e., most people in the ghetto sell/use illegal drugs, have firearms(many illegal), etc. Is this reason enough to do a huge swat raid?
    Last edited by ~AK49~; 04-24-2013, 10:25 AM.

I'm pretty sure all of the residents were asked if they wanted to be searched by the police and they could refuse if they wanted.

This is a tweet I saw from it:

@RaediantPhoenix 19 Apr

For the record: SWAT asked me if I WANTED them to search my home. Did not force me, didn't come inside. Not searching illegally. #watertown

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
      I'm pretty sure all of the residents were asked if they wanted to be searched by the police and they could refuse if they wanted.

This is a tweet I saw from it:

@RaediantPhoenix 19 Apr

For the record: SWAT asked me if I WANTED them to search my home. Did not force me, didn't come inside. Not searching illegally. #watertown
      Hmmm, I was just watching some news clips and the interviews made it seem like it wasn't an option. They made it seem like they'd bang on the door, and at gun point tell you to get out. I could be wrong/mistaken, but for arguments sake, let's say they were forced swat searches. Would that have been unreasonable in wake of why they were searching?

Comment

I think he means overall in areas like Fresno I believe. I'm reading a book for my law class called "lockdown America", and it discuss how in the 80s and 90s they would raid houses; and at times without Warrants. I forgot the justification given for coming in without a warrant but yea I believe it violates the 4th amendment in many instances

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
          Hmmm, I was just watching some news clips and the interviews made it seem like it wasn't an option. They made it seem like they'd bang on the door, and at gun point tell you to get out. I could be wrong/mistaken, but for arguments sake, let's say they were forced swat searches. Would that have been unreasonable in wake of why they were searching?

5:40 omg

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95...e#.UXhJ0o4Tsy6

Comment

Every single video on that channel is either conspiracy theory crap, survivalist paranoia or Russia Today playlists.

Most of the house searches were voluntary, according to basically everyone. The overall impression from Boston was that the police did an excellent job and made everyone feel safer. Basement dwelling fuckbiscuits who don't believe in the moon landings? Surprisingly they have drawn different conclusions.

Comment

Under the circumstances in Boston I feel they did an amazing job in bringing the terrorists to justice. Most of the citizens that were inconvenienced during the search and lock down were glad to do what ever was necessary to end it and see the terrorists captured. The people wanted closure. I praise the Boston police and fellow authorities for delivering it.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                  Every single video on that channel is either conspiracy theory crap, survivalist paranoia or Russia Today playlists.

Most of the house searches were voluntary, according to basically everyone. The overall impression from Boston was that the police did an excellent job and made everyone feel safer. Basement dwelling fuckbiscuits who don't believe in the moon landings? Surprisingly they have drawn different conclusions.
                  Idk man, I obviously wasn't there so I can't say with any conviction, but judging by those clips (for instance start at 5:35), it doesn't look too voluntary. I don't see anything voluntary about being ordered/dragged out of your house at gun point. People were cool with what they were doing, so all is well.

With that said, I'm not here to bash them in this specific instance, just speaking to the greater question and using this as an example. Where is the line between reasonable/unreasonable drawn?

Comment

Idk man, I obviously wasn't there so I can't say with any conviction, but judging by those clips (for instance start at 5:35), it doesn't look too voluntary. I don't see anything voluntary about being ordered/dragged out of your house at gun point. People were cool with what they were doing, so all is well.

With that said, I'm not here to bash them in this specific instance, just speaking to the greater question and using this as an example. Where is the line between reasonable/unreasonable drawn?
                    Couple of things: Firstly there is nothing about that particular clip that links it to Boston and to these shootings. I'm not saying necessarily that it wasn't Boston, but there's nothing in the clip that conclusively links it to Boston beyond the person posting the video claiming it's so. It could have been a search warrant unrelated to this event, there's no way of knowing from the clip.

Secondly in Boston there were a few houses that were of particular concern and they were treated in a more heavy handed fashion. If it was your arse facing a pressure-cooker filled with explosives you might be inclined to be careful.

Fact is that there has been an overwhelming outpouring of support for police about the way they handled this incident with most people commenting that the search was voluntary and the police were great.

It's also worth pointing out that at no point was Boston under martial law. Nobody was arrested or shot on the street for leaving their home. Some businesses were open. Some people left town. The word "lockdown" is pretty apt because it's rather like a school lockdown. Contrary to popular belief the police can't order a school lockdown. They don't have the authority to do that. The school principal is the only one who has that authority. The police can suggest a lockdown, and it would be a bold principal who would take the chance of liability and not heed the warning, but it's not an order from police to lock down a school.

This was the same deal. The police suggested that these dickheads who bombed the marathon may have bombed the neighbourhood and have already had a shootout with cops. So best keep yourself off the streets if you can.

Comment

Working...
                    X