No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Floyd Mayweather Jr. Circus is Back in Town

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    by Cliff Rold - After his turgid outing versus Randal Bailey in October, it seemed it was going to take a lot to make Welterweight titlist Devon Alexander interesting again.

It turns out all it took was for someone to say his name. The right someone did.

In boxing, when Floyd Mayweather talks, everyone listens. Or, to be more specific, when he tweets, everyone reads. The sound of keyboards clacking throughout the world of fistic writing has echoed loudly since. Headline abound as assumptions are questioned.

For weeks, the conventional thinking has been Mayweather will make his first start since a Jr. Middleweight title win last May and a jail stint last summer against Robert Guerrero. Still holding the WBC Welterweight belt, it makes sense for Mayweather. Guerrero is the interim titlist for the sanctioning body.

Tuesday night, Mayweather tweeted, “The negotiations for my fight are almost done. The front runner is IBF Champion Devon Alexander. It’d be a unification bout at welterweight.”

And away we go with the latest chapter of the Mayweather circus. Boxing has plenty of good fighters and a few great ones. There is only one Mayweather.

At 36, the undefeated five-division champion remains, even past his prime, one of the game’s finest practitioners. He remains, by far, its biggest magnet for attention and speculation; P.T. Barnum in gloves. Whether the reactions he generates are positive or negative isn’t really the point. [Click Here To Read More]
    It is fulsome and idolizing articles like this one which gives Mayweather his undeserved aura. The egomaniac plays with the fans, to boost his inferiority complex. He actually takes all this crap as serious, when the real name of the game is to undertake a performance with sufficient action to satisfy the modern day Barnum suckers, who rarely get any sort of good value for their money, apart from seeing the ring girls...maybe.

I'm really surprised that an experienced writer like Rold would pen such juvebile drivel. I think there's too much "praising Caesar" and not enough "calling a spade a spade".

Mayweather seems to have that sorr of effenct on some...not on me for sure. I am in the process of buying a home in Las Vegas and hope to never come across him. i doubt it anyway because we lead dffierent social lives. VERY different.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
      Make a fight at 154..you've got two bigger paydays in that division than alexander and guerrero..didn't he also say in the last attempt to negotiate with arum that he was done at 147? I can't keep up with the changes to the stories anymore.
      you are talking about cotto. he told arum he would no longer kill himself to make 147. he stated if pac wanted the fight it would be at 154 with no built in advantages. to which roach said "no way am i putting manny in the ring with you at 154. you will kill him" arum agreed. you would not be able to post a quote from floyd that says he is done with 147 because it does not exist. even when floyd fights at 154 he is tipping the scales at 150. so it would be crazy to fight at 154

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
        It is fulsome and idolizing articles like this one which gives Mayweather his undeserved aura. The egomaniac plays with the fans, to boost his inferiority complex. He actually takes all this crap as serious, when the real name of the game is to undertake a performance with sufficient action to satisfy the modern day Barnum suckers, who rarely get any sort of good value for their money, apart from seeing the ring girls...maybe.

I'm really surprised that an experienced writer like Rold would pen such juvebile drivel. I think there's too much "praising Caesar" and not enough "calling a spade a spade".

Mayweather seems to have that sorr of effenct on some...not on me for sure. I am in the process of buying a home in Las Vegas and hope to never come across him. i doubt it anyway because we lead dffierent social lives. VERY different.
        the man has been on the p4p list longer than any one else in this era of boxing. perhaps he should fight the same man 4 times? or he should only fight his stable mates? or pick a tough fighter then slam him with contractual stipulations that are not in his interest? you deny giving floyd his just dues because you hate him for what you perceive him to be. some have a hard time with a ring persona vs the real thing. it reminds me of the time i met hulk hogan. in the ring he talks like he gives a dam about other people. but in real life the man is a supreme a-hole. the "bad men" like kevin sulivan were the real cordial men. and i enjoy the art of boxing not 2 men throwing everything they have with no thought to skill. but we all have our own opinions. congrats on buying your new home. i hope you got a good deal.

Comment

Mayweather fighting guerrero is cool...but alexander is bs cus nobody wants that especially mexican fight fans on cinco de mayo...i personally admire floyds skills and competative fire against opposition...but dude goes on video acting like a douche bag dissing his pops throwing tantrums like a lil biatch...i wanna see him fight guerrero then canelo and retire...if he wins against them id say hes an alltime great fighter...if not probably just great not up there with Ali n SRR.

Comment

Originally posted by AHUEVO View Post
            As my buddy said today, Mayweather is doing this so people can beg for the Guerrero fight. Using a turd fight to make another turd fight look better.
            TRUE. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
              I find this to be the new typical cop-out response, 'hurr he only fights at WW which WW should he fight?'

For one, Bradley or even a Marquez rematch holds way more clout than Robert or Alexander, and then he has options at 154 like Trout and Martinez.

It actually baffles me that people like you will defend Floyd vs Alexander knowing that there's literally no guarantee he'll fight again this year, and not acknowledging how garbage of that fight that is for a part time fighter like Floyd. He's a health first fighter though, so Alexander or Guerrero is perfect.

Nah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post

Nah...
                K... have fun paying for Alexander.

Comment

K... have fun paying for Alexander.
                  I wouldn't pay for it, but I'd rather watch that then another repeat.

Comment

$70.00 is nothing. All you broke and fake fans that don't know nothing about boxing,are jealous of floyd money mayweather. The greatest non heavyweight fight in the history of boxing.

Comment

Can't believe his fans continue to support this clown.
                      yup...great observation to... Clown! The Mayweather circus is right...and he is the biggest Clown!

Comment

Working...
                      X