Comments Thread For: The Case for Gary Russell Jr. Fighting Once A Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russell's problem is his inactivity.

Comment

Boxing is a job to him. Not necessarily a bad thing when you work as hard as he does. It’s just that when you bump into someone whose heart is in it and their skill is enough to match yours then you might be toppled. Genghis Khan FTW

Comment

Please don't use long layoff as an excuse for poor performance, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          That’s the thing, I heard that from another boxing circle. Am a Pharmacy Assesor so i totally under the crohn disease thing, but I know it’s a private thing but I have never heard that from GRJ himself or anyone ask him about it. Secondly I have heard him complaining about wanting to be active, but then others are saying it has always been his choice not to be active. So I really want someone to ask him why he fights once a year. Just to get a bit of clarity to this.
          Indeed. That would be a very good question to clarify things. I hope some reporter will dare to ask him about that.

Comment

Originally posted by giant_king View Post
            I'm not knocking what Gary does because if guys like Joe Frazier and Ali took less fights in there career they'll still be alive
            Then why put them on at all? No fights are better than some if you don't want to get hurt.

Comment

an active fighter has to fight a variety of styles, making him a more complete fighter. The one time GRJ face elite opposition, he lost. Also, fighting more often makes a fighter more visible to the public. The public isn't demanding Santa Cruz fight GRJ because nobody knows who GRJ is. Anyway, his career. Count me as a guy who would like to see him in the mix with elite opposition. He kind of puts himself in a position where he can't demand it. Part of the problem is with his promoter, too.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                And fighting once a year never allows him to maintain a buzz. Even when guys like GGG and Spence weren't getting the top guys, their activity allowed them to build and maintain the "boogeyman" buzz. He's only in front of our TV screens once a year, it's ridiculous.
                So true! Being a staple on HBO helped GGG so much!

Comment

Leo santa Cruz

Leo Santa, stop running ...let's do it. 2020 leo vs RUSSELL

Comment

Gotta see his reason for it

Comment

Originally posted by giant_king View Post
                      I'm not knocking what Gary does because if guys like Joe Frazier and Ali took less fights in there career they'll still be alive
                      Is it the quantity or the type of fights? Because Julio Cesar Chavez has a ton of fights that were not pillow fighting contests and he seems fine. Should we talk about bernard?

Comment

Working...
                      X