No announcement yet.

Junior middleweight champ Jermell Charlo charged with domestic violence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior middleweight champ Jermell Charlo charged with domestic violence

Less than a month before Jermell Charlo defended his junior middleweight world title in June, he was arrested and charged with one felony count of domestic violence.

He faces his first hearing in the case Aug. 1, according to Dallas County Police records.

Houston's Charlo (31-0, 15 KOs), who trains in Dallas, defended his 154-pound title for the third time by majority decision against former world titlist Austin Trout on June 9 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

On May 18, Charlo was booked into Dallas County Jail at 1:43 p.m. CT for allegedly trying to choke his girlfriend, Jazmyne Olison. Charlo, 28, posted a $20,000 bond and was released. He faces one felony charge of assault on a family or house member with intent to impede circulation, according to Dallas County Police deputy Raul Reyna.

According to the grand jury indictment issued on June 19, Charlo allegedly squeezed Olison's neck and forced her against a fence, floor and railing "on or about" May 17. He also allegedly pulled her hair.

"[Charlo] committed the said offense by intentionally, knowingly, and recklessly impeding [Olison's] normal breathing and circulation of blood by applying pressure to [her] throat and neck and by blocking [her] nose and mouth," the indictment read.

Charlo denies the charges.

"Jermell is not guilty and is looking forward to his day in court," Dallas attorney Mike Howard, who is representing Charlo, told ESPN. "The evidence in this case is clear and conclusive and doesn't support these allegations. In this day and age, it's so important to let all the facts come out before making judgments. We look forward to those facts coming out in court."

Howard said the Aug. 1 hearing is a preliminary hearing that Charlo may not be required to attend.

- Dan Rafael, ESPN

Dang! They did a good job keeping this quiet!

Comment

The US court system is really fuked up when a man can't attend a hearing about himself.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        The US court system is really fuked up when a man can't attend a hearing about himself.
        he will be invited to the next one. believe that.

Comment

"it wasn't me, it was my twin" - solid defense

Comment

Originally posted by BamaSlamma View Post
            Dang! They did a good job keeping this quiet!
            They didn't do anything; the Charlos aren't relevant enough.... flew under the radar until now.

Comment

The night of the incident he became extremely belligerent and unable to identify with why he was even angry in the first place. He was rambling and making accusations and we began to argue. When I stopped arguing it made him even angrier. By the time we reached home he was screaming in my ear. His assistant finally spoke up but did nothing else to help me. When he got out the car to take my wallet, keys and phone I tried to stop him which led to him punching me in the face. He also burst my lip which drew blood. After the incident he felt no remorse and was even still angry.
              https://therdtable.wordpress.com/201...stic-violence/

Comment

Been getting tips from the best that ever did it

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                  Been getting tips from the best that ever did it

Comment

He pulled her hair?!!!

I can understand putting her up against the wall and choking her azz, but hair pulling is where I draw the line.

Comment

Working...
                    X