No announcement yet.

DEBATE: Jimmy Deforest's Quotation Regarding Dempsey's Hand Wraps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    Now that would be a fight of the century battle.
    Definitely would be a war. I wonder whom most people would pick. Perhaps there is a thread about it somewhere here in the archives!

Comment

I'm now looking for someone to stand in for billeau2 and GhostofDempsey since it has become clear that they will decline this offer.

I apologize for wasting anyone's time here. Billeau2 had told me over and over and over to make the thread. So I did. Despite his one post here, what I woke up to find yesterday in the original thread was that he would rather attack me personally than participate. GhostofDempsey, who claims the information had been debunked, is a no-show as you can all see.

So is there anyone willing to take their place?

Don't take the gif so seriously. All in good fun.

Comment

Decomposition of subject

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          Decomposition of subject
          ??????????

Comment

Decomposition of subject
            I'm wondering the same as above ... ??????????

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              I'm wondering the same as above ... ??????????
              Well until someone actually agrees with the thread starter
              This topic's pretty much dead in the water really

Comment

Well until someone actually agrees with the thread starter
                This topic's pretty much dead in the water really
                To the contrary, I think until someone has the balls to oppose me it’s dead in the water. One guy tried. I consider that a failure.

Are you saying you want to step in? It has been opened up to anyone since the original two haven’t stepped up. I remember you stating that Dempsey wouldn’t use bicycle tape. Your statement is directly refuted by the information provided, and specifically by someone who worked with Dempsey and with two people who were in the dressing room during the wrapping of his hands for the Willard fight.

That no one is willing to step in speaks volumes.

---edit---

Unless what you meant by "agree with the thread starter" is agree to be the opponent, in which case I agree with you and you can disregard the above
                Last edited by travestyny; 03-10-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

More Tampered Gloves

I thought you might find this excerpt interesting. It is from a Brooklyn newspaper account of a Jack Dempsey The 'Nonpareil' fight. (1890)

The round by round of the fight speaks of the fighters targeting each other's neck, ears, jaw, and body. There is no mention of any head shots. I wonder how much the inferior wrappings and gloves of the day was dictating their targeting?

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                    I thought you might find this excerpt interesting. It is from a Brooklyn newspaper account of a Jack Dempsey The 'Nonpareil' fight. (1890)

The round by round of the fight speaks of the fighters targeting each other's neck, ears, jaw, and body. There is no mention of any head shots. I wonder how much the inferior wrappings and gloves of the day was dictating their targeting?

Very strange. I wonder who tampered with the gloves and why.

About the targeting, it reminded me of the Gunboat Smith quotation where he admit he loaded his gloves by using a certain type of tape and was able to “rip off an ear.”

I wonder if this was the most brutal time in boxing history. More brutal than bare knuckle boxing for sure because of what could happen with wraps and gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                      To the contrary, I think until someone has the balls to oppose me it’s dead in the water. One guy tried. I consider that a failure.

Are you saying you want to step in? It has been opened up to anyone since the original two haven’t stepped up. I remember you stating that Dempsey wouldn’t use bicycle tape. Your statement is directly refuted by the information provided, and specifically by someone who worked with Dempsey and with two people who were in the dressing room during the wrapping of his hands for the Willard fight.

That no one is willing to step in speaks volumes.

---edit---

Unless what you meant by "agree with the thread starter" is agree to be the opponent, in which case I agree with you and you can disregard the above
                      No one's willing to step in speaks volumes that no one's prepared to spend an age trying to prove or disprove something that still is and always will, remain legally unproven

Obviously I can't prove that he didn't use some kind of tape, though whatever it was, surely must have been declared legal at the time
                      Dempsey's time as champ directly coincided with some monumental changes to the rule book
                      And that's the crux of why he's shrouded in controversy

Reason Willard was so badly hurt is because he never got a chance to recover from that 1st knockdown
                      To be allowed to smash seven bells out of someone while they're on all fours is nothing short of criminally insane
                      Added tape (without some kind of hardening adhesive) would only serve as extra hand protection
                      Dempsey's frenzied attacks meant hitting a lot of hips and elbows, so it stands to reason really

Comment

Working...
                      X