Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Larry Holmes the most underrated heavyweight of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Larry Holmes the most underrated heavyweight of all time?

I hear no one talk about this guy, yet I have seen plenty of guys share love and give credit to underrated champions like Marvin Hagler. What are your guys' thoughts? Is "The Easton Assassin" one of the greats (as said by Rummy's Corner) and should be given credit, or will he forever be underrated?

He may be underrated by casual fans. But not true followers of the sport.

Head to head and legacy wise, Holmes has a good argument to be one of the top 5 heavyweights of all time.

Comment

It's ironic that the guy who beat him, Spinks is also forgotten as a great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGeorge View Post
        I hear no one talk about this guy, yet I have seen plenty of guys share love and give credit to underrated champions like Marvin Hagler. What are your guys' thoughts? Is "The Easton Assassin" one of the greats (as said by Rummy's Corner) and should be given credit, or will he forever be underrated?
        Unless things have changed drastically the last few years, Holmes is typically ranked somewhere in the middle of the top-ten. Which seems about right.

Comment

Holmes had a tough act to follow after Ali. He also did not have that Frazier-like rival to elevate his status and popularity. Holmes was a great champion. One of the greatest jabs ever, solid chin, smart boxer and tremendous heart. He was caught between the Ali and Tyson era. Ali was charismatic and known worldwide, Tyson was a KO artist--brash and ferocious. It would have been tough for most HW champs to flourish in between those two icons.

Comment

Underrated by who? If you aren’t aware that Holmes was a bad MF, then obviously YDKSAB.

As for following Ali, yes it’s at least somewhat possible. Leonard was a shiny Olympic hero just as the active Ali was calling it a day. Man, he wasn’t Ali, but people loved him for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
              Underrated by who? If you aren’t aware that Holmes was a bad MF, then obviously YDKSAB.

As for following Ali, yes it’s at least somewhat possible. Leonard was a shiny Olympic hero just as the active Ali was calling it a day. Man, he wasn’t Ali, but people loved him for sure.
              Yeah I really don't.

It's just that I don't hear a lot of people talk about Holmes, although I am aware of his place among the greatest heavyweights. I think Larry is great.

Comment

Holmes has the reputation of being traditionally underrated. I am not sure he is. He was ugly and lacked a big punch and a way with words. He had the charm of a wood rat and the humor of an ogre. Rack it up to ability and hard work that the man registers eight or nine million in the bank and owns a town instead of nothing but a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Holmes has the reputation of being traditionally underrated. I am not sure he is. He was ugly and lacked a big punch and a way with words. He had the charm of a wood rat and the humor of an ogre. Rack it up to ability and hard work that the man registers eight or nine million in the bank and owns a town instead of nothing but a bad name.
                  It seems like Larry fought forever.

Only man who can say he fought Ali, Tyson, Holyfield and Butterbean.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGeorge View Post
                    You should have fought The Easton Assassin, Big George. That is my all-time fantasy heavyweight matchup. ;p

Comment

Working...
                    X