Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxers or fighters in general lift weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should boxers or fighters in general lift weights?

I don't know what to believe. I read different articles on Google that have different opinion on it, some saying its good thing if done right some say its a bad as well. Can you please clarify the right answer, thanks in advance.

It's not necessary as proven by generations of boxers.

You can if you want, though.

Comment

Weights are good for helping you look good, but they don't necessarly help your punch, and they can slow you down in the ring if you lift too much weights.

Since I started boxing, I went through periods where I would lift weights anywhere from 2 to 3 times a week. I'd deadlift, squat, benchpress, and do dumbbell exercises for not too long, but long enough to get heavier. I noticed that since I never overdid it, I never had to deal with strains, unreasonable soreness, or injuries because of this. However, there were periods where if I spent too much time in the weightlifting gym, the next day when I went to the boxing gym I'd feel like Iron Man in the ring, but it didn't really help me in terms of my speed, agility, and flexibility as a boxer. Weights just slow you down in that aspect.

They also don't even 'pump you up' for a considerable amount of time if you're going for that big bicep look. Dumbbells would pump up my biceps immediately after doing a few curls, but then when I went back to the boxing gym it would all go away. That's because the heavy bag and other exercises in the boxing gym mainly train your triceps. You punch the bag even twenty or thirty times, and it sends a message to your body that those big biceps are no longer needed, and voila, every time I'd go home after training those pumped up biceps would immediately deflate or disappear. You can get them back if you do bicep curls immediately after training in the boxing gym, but what's the point if they're just going to go away next time you box?

Instead of weights, I would suggest swimming, tennis, soccer, cycling, and other activities that work on making you faster. As a boxer, bodyweight training exericses will help you more than weights because the more flexible you are, the better you will be at moving and dodging punches in the ring. If you're gonna do weights, do them once a week and avoid the heavier weights. Go for flexibility over power.

Comment

Probably not necessary. I'm not a fighter but have been exercising for decades and whenever I eliminate weight training I notice my speed/quickness/agility improves. Then again it might also depend on what kind of lifting you're doing. Powerlifting, bodybuilding, Olympic lifting, etc. Bruce Lee worked with weights for a while but eventually tapered off due to his belief they were slowing him down.

Comment

Every fighter I knew and trained lifting weights to some degree. Fighters don't use the same routines as body builders or weightlifters.
          Weights are used to strengthen and tone a muscle.
          Weights are not incorporated throughout a training camp in preparation of a fight. When sparring begins weights are left alone.

Also the weight lifting can be done with unconventional weight forms you donn't need barbells and plates to lift weights. Starting with your body and performing chins, sit ups etc.......is lifting weight.

Ray

Comment

Don't see it as lifting weights, see it as a component of your training program. Having said that then you have to get into how you train when you train. If you are going to spend time and energy lifting then you should do it in a manner that will get you the most. Going real heavy and training like a powerlifter probably wouldn't be ideal. Incorporating Olympic style lifts with the proper weight, cadence, intensity, etc. probably would be of benefit.

So really it comes down to what kind of training is best for what you are doing.

Comment

Doing a ton of calisthenics and lots of sprints will be superior to weight training for muscular conditioning.

Comment

Tommy Hearns lifted weights .
                Did that slow him down ?

Comment

There's a number of ways to build strength. Lifting weights can help with that. As can a number of other exercises that work the muscles.
                  The reason weight lifting has a bad rep in boxing is that it CAN hurt your boxing if not done correctly. Doesn't mean that it WILL, but it can. If you want to, start out with moderation and you should be fine.

Comment

Are we still having this conversation in 2018?? FFS.

Yes, heavy weight, low rep, once or twice a week. Eg: 5x5 reps of squat, bench and deadlifts.

Comment

Working...
                    X